Did Iran Use Chalabi to Lure U.S. into Iraq?

http://www.americanthinker.com/comments.php?comments_id=1896

Chalabi's INC cleared on WMDs

If you recall, the MSM, relying on unnamed sources repeatedly tarred the Iraqi National Congress and Ahmed Chalabi with being the source of false intelligence information on Iraqi weapons of mass destruction. Leaving aside for the moment that those sources undoubtedly were located within the agencies that the Commission found responsible for the bad intelligence, it did clear the INC of these false claims--not that you'll know, unless you take the time to read the Commission Report.

Page 108 of the Robb-Silverman Report states: "In fact, over all, CIA's post-war investigations revealed that INC-related sources had a minimal impact on pre-war assessments."

Page 108: "Reporting from these two INC sources had a "negligible" impact on the overall assessments, however."

Page 108: "Despite speculation that Curveball was encouraged to lie by the Iraqi National Congress (INC), the CIA's post-war investigations were unable to uncover any evidence that the INC or any other
organization was directing Curveball to feed misleading information to the Intelligence Community. Instead, the post-war investigations concluded that Curveball's reporting was not influenced by, controlled by, or connected to, the INC."

Clarice Feldman 3 31 05

The Report is here:

http://www.9-11commission.gov/report/index.htm

Curveball fesses up...
:confused:
Iraqi Defector 'Curveball' Says He Lied About WMD
Feb 15, 2011 - The Iraqi defector known as "Curveball," who provided the basis for U.S. claims that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction, has admitted that he lied to intelligence agencies, a published report says.
Rafid Ahmed Alwan al-Janabi told The Guardian newspaper he made up the stories about Saddam's arsenal because he wanted to hurt the Iraqi regime. "I had the chance to fabricate something to topple the regime," al-Janabi told The Guardian in a series of interviews. "I and my sons are proud of that, and we are proud that we were the reason to give Iraq the margin of democracy."

The claims were a key part of then-Secretary of State Colin Powell's speech to the U.N. Security Council in 2003. Powell mentioned an Iraqi engineer who described "biological weapons factories on wheels." In fact, al-Janabi said he was never involved in any such program. He said he used his chemical engineering knowledge to make up the reports. Al-Janabi told the stories to the German intelligence agency, BND, which passed them to the CIA. Germany gave al-Janabi asylum in 2000.

Al-Janabi, who was codenamed Curveball by the intelligence agencies, says that removing Saddam from office justified the invasion of Iraq, even after more than 100,000 civilian deaths. "Believe me, there was no other way to bring about freedom to Iraq," al-Janabi said. "There were no other possibilities."

Source

New Topics

Forum List

Back