Did Government Argue Mandate Is a Tax?

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
"we know the administration thinks the mandate is justifiable as a tax, because that's exactly what they argued to the Supreme Court, as well as all the lower courts that heard the case."

Obama Administration Argues to Supreme Court that ObamaCare's Mandate Is a Tax, Tells Reporters That It's Not a Tax - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Political arguments say differently. :rofl:

funny to watch the right wing get all upset that for a political argument the administration is calling the mandated tax, a penalty.

nuance! nuance and great political skills. :lol:

In Robert's own words (contrary to right wing talking points and spin)

"In pressing it's taxing power argument..." for the clueless... the Chief Justice is using one of the government's arguments before the Court.

"In pressing it's taxing power argument, the Government asks the Court to view the mandate as imposing a tax on those who do not buy that product."

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/11pdf/11-393c3a2.pdf

page 3 .. "3. Chief Justice Roberts concluded..."

"

funny to watch the right wing get all upset that for a political argument the administration is calling the mandated tax, a penalty.

"

A tax, in the general understanding of the term, and as used in the Constitution, signifies an exaction for the support of the government. The word has never been thought to connote the expropriation of money from one group for the benefit of another.

U.S. Supreme Court

U.S. v. BUTLER, 297 U.S. 1 (1936)

"

"

A tax, in the general understanding of the term, and as used in the Constitution, signifies an exaction for the support of the government. The word has never been thought to connote the expropriation of money from one group for the benefit of another.

U.S. Supreme Court

what is your point?

you are reaching.

taking a single quote from a ruling out of context?

"

"

U.S. Supreme Court

what is your point?

you are reaching.

The sole purpose of the the Constitution was to prevent the adoption of the Communist Manifesto .

As was seen yesterday the so-called conservatives will not stand in the way .

"

"

U.S. Supreme Court

far too long a read to get your quotes .. too bad you didn't cite paragraphs

U.S. Supreme Court

what is your point?

you are reaching.

The sole purpose of the the Constitution was to prevent the adoption of the Communist Manifesto .

the Communist Manifesto?

okay. you're crazy. :cuckoo:

my bad

what is your point?

you are reaching.

the Communist Manifesto?

okay. you're crazy. :cuckoo:

my bad

No, your stupidity.

"The proletariat will use its political supremacy to wrest, by degree, all capital from the bourgeoisie, to centralize all instruments of production in the hands of the state…"

The Communist Manifesto

U.S. Supreme Court

what is your point?

you are reaching.

Maybe I'm missing your point, but - historically speaking - wasn't the Constitution written BEFORE the Communist Manifesto was even conceived?

It's been a long time since grade school for me, but I was under the impression that the Constitution was written in opposition to current British rule. And, as far as I can tell, there is no provision in the Constitution that says that we can't all be communists if that's what we want.

what is your point?

you are reaching.

Maybe I'm missing your point, but - historically speaking - wasn't the Constitution written BEFORE the Communist Manifesto was even conceived?

It's been a long time since grade school for me, but I was under the impression that the Constitution was written in opposition to current British rule. And, as far as I can tell, there is no provision in the Constitution that says that we can't all be communists if that's what we want.

Excuse me Vern, a dictatorial government which used all kinds of pretexts to steal from, and subjugate, its subjects has existed since times immemorial.

All that information was compiled in a series of books called the Cato Letters which were thoroughly studied by the founders.

Last edited:
what is your point?

you are reaching.

:eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back