Did Columbia fold to Chavez?

JimH52

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2007
US
http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/americas/03/09/venezuela.colombia/index.html

Venezuela resetting diplomatic ties with Colombia

(CNN) -- The Venezuelan government on Sunday announced it is re-establishing normal diplomatic ties with Colombia after the two South American countries resolved their differences over Colombia's recent cross-border attack on rebels in Ecuador.

The move follows a meeting of the presidents of Colombia, Venezuela and Ecuador in the Dominican Republic on Friday. They signed a declaration to end a crisis sparked by the attack, when Colombian troops killed a rebel leader and 21 others inside Ecuadoran territory.

"The Venezuelan government will send to Bogota, immediately, diplomatic personnel charged with representing the republic before the government of Colombia," the Venezuelan government said in a statement posted online Sunday. "In the same manner, the Venezuelan government has communicated to the Colombia authorities their disposition to receive in Caracas, in a short time, the diplomatic personnel of the sister republic."

The declaration signed earlier stated: "With the promise not to ever again assault a brother country and the request for forgiveness [by Colombia], we can consider this very serious incident resolved," Ecuadoran President Rafael Correa said Friday.

Correa, Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez and Colombian President Alvaro Uribe shook hands at the end of what had been a contentious meeting of the Rio Group of Latin American leaders.

In the accord, the leaders condemned Colombia's action and affirmed that no country has the right to violate the territory of another. Correa and Chavez also accepted Colombia's apology for the incident and accepted that Uribe would not repeat it.

The diplomatic spat began March 1 when Colombian troops and police crossed into Ecuador and killed 22 people.

The dead included Luis Edgar Devia Silva, known as "Raul Reyes," the second-in-command of the leadership council of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC in its Spanish acronym.

The whole thing occurred because Chavez was doing nothing about rebel attacks from across the border. An apology from Uribe does nothing to address that problem.

It will happen again, as long as those two Countries continue to aid and abet terrorists attacking Columbia and protect them. Columbia is just playing a diplomatic game as are the other two. Brazil was clear, settle this or else.

Chavez would have lost on the international scene if he kept escalating it and it is no skin off Columbia's back to sign a deal they will just ignore given the same chance again.

I have to agree with you RGS but this is a festering wound that will continue to pop up. Chavez is so unpredictable and as he nears the end of his time in office, I fear the worse.

I have to agree with you RGS but this is a festering wound that will continue to pop up. Chavez is so unpredictable and as he nears the end of his time in office, I fear the worse.

Think he's looking for an excuse to declare a state of emergency and refuse to yield power?

Me too. Not that I would want anyone to think I agreed with you about anything .....:eusa_whistle:

Columbia folded if they are resetting their ties with the enemy. Columbia discovered laptops showing Chavez was funding and supporting the FARC communist guerilla terrorists in Columbia. Chavez sent troops to the borders because he knows that what he did is enough reason for Columbia to attack him. Chavez even went on tv and held a moment of silence for the fallen FARC comrade. US media, expecially the commie loving NY Times who supported Lenin, Castro, and now Chavez, have not made any big deal over Chavez support of this terrorist group. Chavez is more dangerous then bin Laden. Seeing that Chavez is using terrorists to overthrow Columbia who is to say he did not play a hand in whose in power in Bolivia and Equador, who both came to his aid in the dispute. This guy is trying to make a south american USSR.

Columbia folded if they are resetting their ties with the enemy. Columbia discovered laptops showing Chavez was funding and supporting the FARC communist guerilla terrorists in Columbia. Chavez sent troops to the borders because he knows that what he did is enough reason for Columbia to attack him. Chavez even went on tv and held a moment of silence for the fallen FARC comrade. US media, expecially the commie loving NY Times who supported Lenin, Castro, and now Chavez, have not made any big deal over Chavez support of this terrorist group. Chavez is more dangerous then bin Laden. Seeing that Chavez is using terrorists to overthrow Columbia who is to say he did not play a hand in whose in power in Bolivia and Equador, who both came to his aid in the dispute. This guy is trying to make a south american USSR.

Columbia has the proof and is taking it to the regional and World organizations that can condemn Chavez for his actions. Chavez knows it and is probably working hard to defuse the issue. He will fail most likely.

Chavez is going down. Colombia didn't have to do anything to respond to Chavez's troops advancing to the border because 1) Uribe knows Chavez is all talk, 2) his recently purchased AK-47's, tanks, and aircraft are crap and Colombia is much better armed and capable kick their butts with their eyes closed, and 3) the Venezuelean people would not go for it and neither would his army. A large percentage of people in Venezuela have family in Colombia and the commerce between the two countries is essential. His generals wouldn't go for it either and he's losing ground with them every day.
There is no way he could have shut down that border. This whole business of territorial sovernty is BS, too. Most of the border between Venezuela and Colombia has never even been surveyed. It's not even marked, except for some lines drawn on a map or aerial. In the field, unless there is a river or mountain range, you've got a rough idea where it is but that's about it. I don't know who's going to go out first, him or Castro.

In all of my world travels, Venezuela is the only country where I met with open hostility towards Americans and this was back in 1994. The group of men who surrounded me (non-threateningly) were blue-collar fishermen and they expressed a sentiment (that I had never heard before) that the U.S. was a Bully Nation for invading Panama and Grenada and that perhaps Venezuela would be next.

Wow, what a prophet!

New Topics

Forum List

Back