Did Chicago Tribune blow the Blagojevitch case?

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
Sounds like if the Trib hadn't published its story Blago would have been caught committing an actual crime.
The precise timing of Tuesday’s dramatic, pre-dawn arrest was not dictated by Fitzgerald, nor was it dictated by the pace of Blagojevich’s alleged “crime spree.” It was dictated by the Chicago Tribune, according to people close to the investigation and a careful reading of the FBI’s affidavit in the case.
At Fitzgerald’s request, the paper had been holding back a story since October detailing how a confidante of Blagojevich was cooperating with his office.

Gerould Kern, the Tribune’s editor, said in a statement last week that these requests are granted in what he called isolated instances. “In each case, we strive to make the right decision as reporters and as citizens,” he said.
But editors decided to publish the story on Friday, Dec. 5, ending the Tribune’s own cooperation deal with the prosecutor.
Washington Wire - WSJ.com : The Real Story Behind the Rushed Blagojevich Bust: How the Feds Are Frustrated by Losing (Maybe) Half of Their Case

Yeah...this is one of the shortcomings of having a free press, I'm afraid.
Good point. I was wondering why, if Blago's aim was clear and he was going to accept a bribe, the Fed didn't wait to catch him in the act. This pretty much explains it. It will be a shame if he gets off because of this.

I'm surprised the fed prosceutor couldn't get a temporary restraining order to prevent the Trib from publishing an article which would compromise the investigation!

I'm surprised the fed prosceutor couldn't get a temporary restraining order to prevent the Trib from publishing an article which would compromise the investigation!

He may not have known.

The only way he might know is if the Trib called him to respond to their article before they printed it.

And they may have assumed that he would refuse to discuss and investigation in progress.

Alternatively, they might have contacted him and he realized that there was no way he could get the courts to restrain them, too.

There's a LOT about this case that I suspect we're going to be learning soon enough.

Like why Obama's associates refuse to discuss the case, for example.

I SUSPECT they don't want to prejudice the case because they might become material witnesses for the prosecution, for example.

We have seen this from the media time & time again. They would give up national security--highly classified information--putting millions of Americans in danger, if they felt they could be the first to put out a story. They have no conscience what-so-ever & could give a dam about the consequences.

Here's my prediction: Blago will most likely resign from office and we won't hear much about the case anymore. He won't get any jail time and will probably make a bundle of money as a private citizen.

We have a Chicago politician about ready to take the office of the President who undoubtedly has ties to Blago. Jesse Jackson Jr is also involved, and there is no way he's going to be implicated. In the end, the politicians will take care of each other.

We have seen this from the media time & time again. They would give up national security--highly classified information--putting millions of Americans in danger, if they felt they could be the first to put out a story. They have no conscience what-so-ever & could give a dam about the consequences.

Sounds like you are describing the Bush Administration!

Sounds like if the Trib hadn't published its story Blago would have been caught committing an actual crime.Washington Wire - WSJ.com : The Real Story Behind the Rushed Blagojevich Bust: How the Feds Are Frustrated by Losing (Maybe) Half of Their Case

The Trib had held off of the story, for more than days. At the same time, for the most part it had been pretty friendly with the Jackson's, so I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't an influencing factor. On the other hand, they did wait long enough it seems, to set an example to other MSM outlets.

Forum List

Back