Did Anyone See The Grammys Last Night? Me Nether.

mudwhistle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2009
Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts
The music industry as been slowly going downhill for awhile..but I think it's gotten worse lately.

Most of the acts aren't homegrown bands anymore but groups or performers that were thrown together by folks in the music business. I read somewhere that these kids have talent but there's no desire to continue showcasing someone who will eventually end up taking all of the profits. So we usually end up with singers with no songwriting talent going nowhere after their first smash album. This explains why music on the airwaves seems to have gone downhill.

I usually play CDs but the other day I tuned in to an FM station and they were pretty much playing the same stuff I listened to back in the 90s.

Taylor Swift is rumored to be really good but I've never heard song one of hers yet she just won album of the year. Beonce is no doubt a great talent and she won performer of the year last night which I believe was long overdue. I suspect this was kind of a payback for her loss to Swift in the Video awards earlier this year. You know....the infamous Kanye West 'Drunken Schpeal' incident. Problem is I don't know much about the rest of the acts. If a song is played on the radio they don't even tell us who the performer was. We have to guess I suppose.

Is the music industry really this bad or are all of the really good talents being blocked from success by studio manufactured posers? Where are the Led Zeppelins and Beatles. Where are the James Browns, Earth Wind & Fire, and Temptations. Does anyone else feel the same way?

We're just getting old Mud. There is still a lot of talent out there. My son said to watch out for Lady GaGa. I couldn't name one song that she sings, but he claims she is a major talent.

I never watch those award shows. All I care about are the fashions in People Magazine.

Oh and my kids are in a band. There are a lot of talented homegrown bands in NJ. The problem is most of these kids don't care about money. They all live with their parents. lol

We're just getting old Mud. There is still a lot of talent out there. My son said to watch out for Lady GaGa. I couldn't name one song that she sings, but he claims she is a major talent.

I never watch those award shows. All I care about are the fashions in People Magazine.

Oh and my kids are in a band. There are a lot of talented homegrown bands in NJ. The problem is most of these kids don't care about money. They all live with their parents. lol

There's an idication that they're running out of ideas.

LADY GAGA!!!!!

WTF!!!!

Even Weezer is a better name then that.

Oh....chanel...I think you just touched on a very valid point.

Not that many kids are starving out there.

Remember the days when most of the rock stars looked underfed.

Who wants to listen to a bunch of fatties?

you are getting old. lol Lady Gaga is a great showman... she's a female version of Elton John (a fact played up by their duet... which was most excellent).

can't still be listening only to your old Led Zep albums (though they have their place).

The grammys were watched by 19.67 people. More than last year, less than twenty years ago when there was less competition for viewership.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/02/09/sunday-ratings-grammy-awards-play-cbs-to-victory/12426

you are getting old. lol Lady Gaga is a great showman... she's a female version of Elton John (a fact played up by their duet... which was most excellent).

can't still be listening only to your old Led Zep albums (though they have their place).

The grammys were watched by 19.67 people. More than last year, less than twenty years ago when there was less competition for viewership.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/02/09/sunday-ratings-grammy-awards-play-cbs-to-victory/12426

If you want to see showmanship go to Vegas.

I want quality and originality......not a big show.

No offense.

How many of these kids are real musical talents?

Last edited:
One of the reasons there was so much talent back in the 70s and the 80s was because of a terrible world-wide economy.

Starving artists were looking for a way to get out of their plight by focusing on their musical talents. The UK invasion was a result of terrible economic hardship. You often do your best work when you're really motivated.

What's the motivation now when life at home with the folks isn't all that bad. Madonna left home when she was 19 and starved for years before she hit it big. Now we have Lady GaGa....which to me is just a Madonna clone.

Did Anyone See The Grammys Last Night? Me Nether.

I've never seen the Grammies...or the Academy awards.

All those shows bore the crap out of me to be honest.

I loved Pink and the swirling acrobats that scared her so she finally peed.

Seriously, I actually thought the Haitian relief show had some brilliant music while this was more glitz than good song.

I'm with Chanel...I like going to E! online or People magazine the following week to see what the were wearing...but other than that, I could care less about one more award show.

Seriously...is there any other business on earth that sits around thinking up new ways to pat itself on the back like the "entertainment" industry does? Grammys, Golden Globes, Academy Awards, People's Choice, Screen Actors Guild...how many different times a year do these people need to be told they are wonderful, unique, talented, and fabulous?

I'm with Chanel...I like going to E! online or People magazine the following week to see what the were wearing...but other than that, I could care less about one more award show.

Seriously...is there any other business on earth that sits around thinking up new ways to pat itself on the back like the "entertainment" industry does? Grammys, Golden Globes, Academy Awards, People's Choice, Screen Actors Guild...how many different times a year do these people need to be told they are wonderful, unique, talented, and fabulous?

Yes there is...politicians.

Of course it could be argued that modern politics is merely showbusiness pretending to be something real, too.

I watched some of the grammys last night, and I have to say that was one of the worst musical productions I've ever seen.

Commercial music is just extremely disappointing anymore.

:disbelief:

:disbelief:

She means they both have a penis, but prefer men.

Forum List

Back