Did anyone know that federal law prevents farmers from fixing their own tractors, that's nuts.....

When I was younger, I wanted to be an IT technician.

My 11 year old grandson just finished up his second year at "Coder's Camp"... He is freakishly smart re: this stuff grandpa has no clue about...

The year was 2001 and I went down and bought my wife a 2000 Pontiac something or other. I don't even recall. Anyway it was a used car and I thought I was getting a pretty good deal. We haggled and then done the paperwork. It was a done deal and he handed me the Key. Notice I said the key, not keys. Salesman said there was only one key and I thought no big deal I will get one made. Cost me a couple of bucks like every other key I had made over the last 30 years. WRONG... Freaking key had a chip in it and I didn't know it. Ended up costing me $250.00 for a key and a afternoon off work spent at the Pontiac Dealership. I see this as the beginning of the end...
Tissue?

I don't think you quite understand the subject man. There is no monopoly. Now if you w an t to argue that tractors should use an obd2 protocol that is the same for all tractora jusy like cars. Argue that. But each manufacturer using their own protocols on their own products is not a monopoly.

OK, you seem to have some preconceptions of what I am talking about, so I will use OS to make a comparison.

Microsoft sells a rotten piece of shit OS called Windows. Lots of problems with it, but Microsoft tries to allow free downloads and updates to fix problems with it. Failing that I can go to THIRD PARTY VENDERS and buy tools to try to fix the problem.

Microsoft has a history of monopolistic practices but the Justice Department got on their case and they are more open with what they do now.

If I had to take my computer to the dealer I bought it from to update or run diagnostics on the software, people would be burning Microsofts HQ to the ground, and rightly so.

But John Deere is not fucking over 80% of the urban population that uses private computers at home. They are only fucking over farmers across the country and you are OK with that, I guess because you just think farmers should get fucked as frequently as possible.

Get it now, dude?
Don't forget, life is just tough

I don't think you quite understand the subject man. There is no monopoly. Now if you w an t to argue that tractors should use an obd2 protocol that is the same for all tractora jusy like cars. Argue that. But each manufacturer using their own protocols on their own products is not a monopoly.

OK, you seem to have some preconceptions of what I am talking about, so I will use OS to make a comparison.

Microsoft sells a rotten piece of shit OS called Windows. Lots of problems with it, but Microsoft tries to allow free downloads and updates to fix problems with it. Failing that I can go to THIRD PARTY VENDERS and buy tools to try to fix the problem.

Microsoft has a history of monopolistic practices but the Justice Department got on their case and they are more open with what they do now.

If I had to take my computer to the dealer I bought it from to update or run diagnostics on the software, people would be burning Microsofts HQ to the ground, and rightly so.

But John Deere is not fucking over 80% of the urban population that uses private computers at home. They are only fucking over farmers across the country and you are OK with that, I guess because you just think farmers should get fucked as frequently as possible.

Get it now, dude?
Don't forget, life is just tough
even tougher for a delusional slapdick like jimblowme.

JimBowie1958 are you under the impression that copyrights and patents are monopolies?
Yes, because they are.

Monopoly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In many jurisdictions, competition laws restrict monopolies. Holding a dominant position or a monopoly of a market is often not illegal in itself, however certain categories of behavior can be considered abusive and therefore incur legal sanctions when business is dominant. A government-granted monopoly or legal monopoly, by contrast, is sanctioned by the state, often to provide an incentive to invest in a risky venture or enrich a domestic interest group. Patents, copyrights, and trademarks are sometimes used as examples of government-granted monopolies.

Patent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
By the 16th century, the English Crown would habitually abuse the granting of letters patent for monopolies.[13] After public outcry, King James I of England (VI of Scotland) was forced to revoke all existing monopolies and declare that they were only to be used for "projects of new invention". This was incorporated into the Statute of Monopolies (1624) in which Parliament restricted the Crown's power explicitly so that the King could only issue letters patent to the inventors or introducers of original inventions for a fixed number of years. The Statute became the foundation for later developments in patent law in England and elsewhere.

Patents and copyrights give a monopoly of various limitations to the one who first is granted the patent, and that is not always the inventor or creator of the item. Corporations ahve long abused patents, violating them when someone else holds the patent and hammering anyone that gets close to their patents that they own. A good example of which is the invention of the television and adjustable windshield wiper.

JimBowie1958 are you under the impression that copyrights and patents are monopolies?
Yes, because they are.

In many jurisdictions, competition laws restrict monopolies. Holding a dominant position or a monopoly of a market is often not illegal in itself, however certain categories of behavior can be considered abusive and therefore incur legal sanctions when business is dominant. A government-granted monopoly or legal monopoly, by contrast, is sanctioned by the state, often to provide an incentive to invest in a risky venture or enrich a domestic interest group. Patents, copyrights, and trademarks are sometimes used as examples of government-granted monopolies.

By the 16th century, the English Crown would habitually abuse the granting of letters patent for monopolies.[13] After public outcry, King James I of England (VI of Scotland) was forced to revoke all existing monopolies and declare that they were only to be used for "projects of new invention". This was incorporated into the Statute of Monopolies (1624) in which Parliament restricted the Crown's power explicitly so that the King could only issue letters patent to the inventors or introducers of original inventions for a fixed number of years. The Statute became the foundation for later developments in patent law in England and elsewhere.

Patents and copyrights give a monopoly of various limitations to the one who first is granted the patent, and that is not always the inventor or creator of the item. Corporations ahve long abused patents, violating them when someone else holds the patent and hammering anyone that gets close to their patents that they own. A good example of which is the invention of the television and adjustable windshield wiper.

Come on LOL

A patent isn't a monopoly. So let's say widget a accomplishes task 1 and I own the patent on widget a. Are you prevented from inventing widget B to also accomplish task 1? Of course not, you just are not allowed to use MY widget without permission.

Yes, because they are.

Come on LOL

A patent isn't a monopoly. So let's say widget a accomplishes task 1 and I own the patent on widget a. Are you prevented from inventing widget B to also accomplish task 1? Of course not, you just are not allowed to use MY widget without permission.
Dude, I just gave you the relevant facts, patents are monopolies along with some of the history.

IF the correct data doesnt remedy your affliction, then I cant do it by simply repeating myself.

This topic is over as far as I am concerned.

My 11 year old grandson just finished up his second year at "Coder's Camp"... He is freakishly smart re: this stuff grandpa has no clue about...

The year was 2001 and I went down and bought my wife a 2000 Pontiac something or other. I don't even recall. Anyway it was a used car and I thought I was getting a pretty good deal. We haggled and then done the paperwork. It was a done deal and he handed me the Key. Notice I said the key, not keys. Salesman said there was only one key and I thought no big deal I will get one made. Cost me a couple of bucks like every other key I had made over the last 30 years. WRONG... Freaking key had a chip in it and I didn't know it. Ended up costing me $250.00 for a key and a afternoon off work spent at the Pontiac Dealership. I see this as the beginning of the end...
Tissue?

I must have real estate in this fellows head and I didn't even have to pay rent...

Yes, because they are.

Come on LOL

Dude, I just gave you the relevant facts, patents are monopolies along with some of the history.

IF the correct data doesnt remedy your affliction, then I cant do it by simply repeating myself.

This topic is over as far as I am concerned.
Jimblowme pulls up his skirts and runs away again!

Tissue?

I must have real estate in this fellows head and I didn't even have to pay rent...
rationalize much.?

Dude you show back up on a thread 12 hours later where you got your ass handed to you in a basket. I would say that you are pulling a whole wagon load of rationalizations behind your sorry ass. Now be a good little pain in the ass and shove off... Do you need a tissue?

Bottom line is the Gov. doesn't want farmers to disable emission control devices.
No emission controls means better fuel economy.

More than that. Diesel engines are far more advanced today. You don't have to max out the governor to achieve maximum torque. Computers are essential parts of doing this, using less fuel and reducing emissions by using less fuel.

Dude you show back up on a thread 12 hours later where you got your ass handed to you in a basket. I would say that you are pulling a whole wagon load of rationalizations behind your sorry ass. Now be a good little pain in the ass and shove off... Do you need a tissue?
Really? when and by whom did I get my ass handed to me.
The only rationalizing has been yours.

This is the problem with the left........every single aspect of life eventually comes under control of some federal agency or dimwitted bureaucrat......

Did anyone know that farmers are prevented from fixing their own tractors, that by federal freakin law they have to hire a contractor to do it....?

This is just nuts....

Farmers fight for the right to repair their own tractors | Fox News

They're attempting to get legislation passed in their states that would enable them, for the first time since the 1998 Digital Millennium Copyright Act, to repair their own tractors or get an independent mechanic to help.

At the root of the morass is the software that helps run modern tractors and their sensors, diagnostic tools, and other high-tech elements. If farmers so much as open the metaphorical hood to check out the computers they could be violating the federal act, reports Modern Farmer.

Mick Minchow, a Nebraska farmer for more than 40 years, is among the many who are fed up, reports Lincoln Journal Star. As it currently stands, any problem with his John Deere 8235 R requires a trip to the dealer and costs him important time.

What he'd like to be able to do, per the paper, is something as simple as looking up the system code to determine if it's a serious problem or something as mundane as replacing a filter.

John Deere's argument, as reported byWired, is that giving farmers free rein over the software would "make it possible for pirates, third-party developers, and less innovative competitors to free-ride off the creativity, unique expression, and ingenuity of vehicle software." Other potential issues that have been floated: the financial hit such a change could wreak on dealerships, and the complications of buying used equipment whose software was improperly changed.
Most likely it was the Caterpillar company who helped made that law. They are doing bad. Remember, the Globalist want to ban fossil fuel.

New Topics

Forum List

Back