Did an earthquake wake me up out of a nap?

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
Did an earthquake wake me up out of a nap?

I'm not sure, but SoCal experienced a 5.4 today.

Caltech seismic analyst Anthony Guarino said preliminary information indicates the quake was on the San Jacinto fault, one of two that were stressed by the 7.2-magnitude temblor near the U.S.-Mexico border on Easter.
Wednesday's quake was related to the powerful Easter Day temblor, but it was not an aftershock. Seismologist Kate Hutton of the California Institute of Technology said strain from the April temblor transferred to a different fault zone and triggered Wednesday's quake.
Recent airborne analysis by the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory found that the Easter quake put increased pressure on the San Jacinto Fault and neighboring Elsinore Fault.
"There's certainly a little higher level of activity than we've seen before" along the two faults, said JPL geophysicist Eric Fielding.
The upshot is that the Easter quake appeared to have decreased the stress on the southernmost San Andreas Fault — slightly lowering the chance of a quake on the mother of California faults.
That's "good news for us living in Southern California," Fielding said.

llThe Associated Press: Magnitude-5.4 quake strikes Southern California

Back in '03 we had a magnitude 4.6 quake here in North Alabama. It didn't do any damage but it was enough to wake me up at four in the morning and scare the bejesus outta me. We Alabamians are total noobs when it comes earthquakes.

Just a couple of weeks ago Cleveland experienced a 5.5

Well, it did come lake Ontario and shook the earth at least that far, people in Jersey even felt it

Back in '03 we had a magnitude 4.6 quake here in North Alabama. It didn't do any damage but it was enough to wake me up at four in the morning and scare the bejesus outta me. We Alabamians are total noobs when it comes earthquakes.

We had one shortly after I moved here. I thought the ceiling and my windows were caving in. But I had never felt a substantial quake before. So I wasn't 'shook up' during the vent. Afterward? huh! Now I stop and think whenever a truck rolls by and I feel the vibrations. The fight or flight instinct is pretty amusing to observe.

They called it a 5.9 and it was between Hemet and Borrego springs...we had stuff fall off shelves and fall over....nothing broke tho. The animals were tramatized and it was long enough and strong enough we stood in doorways.

They called it a 5.9 and it was between Hemet and Borrego springs...we had stuff fall off shelves and fall over....nothing broke tho. The animals were tramatized and it was long enough and strong enough we stood in doorways.

5.4 downgraded, like everything else in America. I blame Adam Smith's invisible hand. :eusa_whistle:

I was about 70 miles from the epicenter. It began as a gentle shaking - very disquieting because I was sitting in the courthouse building which is a BIG building (4 stories). You can really feel the power of something like that when you are experiencing it in a large building.

The shaking continued and then intensified somewhat. Then there was a pretty good bump, followed by renewed, gentler shaking until it tapered off. I estimate it lasted for from 15 to 20 seconds.

I have lived in Southern California all my life, and have gone through all of the major quakes we have had here beginning with the 1954 Tehachipi quake. It's scary stuff, mainly because you never know when it is going to happen. "Are we having an earthquake?" someone will say, apprehensively, as the lamps begin to go back and forth and the ground begins to move.

You sit (or stand) there as it commences and your thought is always the same: Is it going to get any worse?

There are two different types of earthquakes. One is the gentle roller. That's what we had yesterday. Then there is the "sharp crack" type of quake, where it begins with a severe shock, as if your house has just completed a free-fall drop of six feet or so, followed by other sharp jolts. I am told this has to do with the way the plates in the earth are rubbing against each other with one type of rubbing resulting in the gentle roller and the other in the sharp jolt.

Whenever I am in a building and a quake hits, I always remember this truism:
"Earthquakes don't kill people. BUILDINGS kill people." You are always debating, when the quake first hits, "should I or should I not get my fanny the hell OUT of this building in a big hurry?" On the one hand, you don't want to look like an inexperienced, earthquake noobie and make a fool out of yourself by running out of a building for a 3.2 nothing shaker. On the other hand, you always worry that if you don't get out, you may not be able to get out if it gets bad all of a sudden.

You can see a tornado coming, most of the time. You get all kinds of notice when a hurricane is on the way. None of the above with earthquakes, folks - it's purely come as you are.

I was about 70 miles from the epicenter. It began as a gentle shaking - very disquieting because I was sitting in the courthouse building which is a BIG building (4 stories). You can really feel the power of something like that when you are experiencing it in a large building.

The shaking continued and then intensified somewhat. Then there was a pretty good bump, followed by renewed, gentler shaking until it tapered off. I estimate it lasted for from 15 to 20 seconds.

I have lived in Southern California all my life, and have gone through all of the major quakes we have had here beginning with the 1954 Tehachipi quake. It's scary stuff, mainly because you never know when it is going to happen. "Are we having an earthquake?" someone will say, apprehensively, as the lamps begin to go back and forth and the ground begins to move.

You sit (or stand) there as it commences and your thought is always the same: Is it going to get any worse?

There are two different types of earthquakes. One is the gentle roller. That's what we had yesterday. Then there is the "sharp crack" type of quake, where it begins with a severe shock, as if your house has just completed a free-fall drop of six feet or so, followed by other sharp jolts. I am told this has to do with the way the plates in the earth are rubbing against each other with one type of rubbing resulting in the gentle roller and the other in the sharp jolt.

Whenever I am in a building and a quake hits, I always remember this truism:
"Earthquakes don't kill people. BUILDINGS kill people." You are always debating, when the quake first hits, "should I or should I not get my fanny the hell OUT of this building in a big hurry?" On the one hand, you don't want to look like an inexperienced, earthquake noobie and make a fool out of yourself by running out of a building for a 3.2 nothing shaker. On the other hand, you always worry that if you don't get out, you may not be able to get out if it gets bad all of a sudden.

You can see a tornado coming, most of the time. You get all kinds of notice when a hurricane is on the way. None of the above with earthquakes, folks - it's purely come as you are.

The quake a year or so ago, was a "sharp crack" type. I have looked into what to do. Do not run outside. Most of the people killed or injured evidently get hurt by falling and collapsing objects...outside. Stay out of doorways. Models have shown that doors swing violently during big quakes. think amputations or concussions, broken bones.

Since the North Ridge quake, the engineers are rethinking things.Buildings like mine with the underground garage on pilings, failed badly. Brick buildings are very dangerous. Wooden buildings the best.

falling debris. stay inside under a heavy table or something similar. then again, quick instincts might just save your ass. fight or flight?

They are interesting - but I view them with the utmost respect. We are fortunate to live in a developed area. In a major quake, most of the buildings I would be in or around were either built with earthquake safety in mind or have been retrofitted to provide for it.

But, still . . .

I love earthquakes. ;)

I like what I experienced, but that was absent loss of friends, neighbors, limbs or life.

I think we'd not like them very much if they were devastating. It's all a matter pf perspective and personal experience.

Ive been through many of them and know all about the dangers. I still love them.

I love earthquakes. ;)

I like what I experienced, but that was absent loss of friends, neighbors, limbs or life.

I think we'd not like them very much if they were devastating. It's all a matter pf perspective and personal experience.

Ive been through many of them and know all about the dangers. I still love them.

when you lose family or a limb, get back to us.

now STFU and put up a real picture of how fugly you are in real life.:eek:

We had a 5 something that spread across the whole north east like 2 weeks ago. Was felt from NYC to Chicago and from Maine to Georgia. Here in Michigan it felt like a truck going by outside. I didn't even think it was an earth quake.

Forum List

Back