Did a Scandal Sink the U.S.S. Palin?

Bfgrn

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2009
CNN and other major news outlets have reported that Sarah Palin has abruptly resigned as governor of Alaska. The suddenness of her announcement raises the question about whether Palin resigned to avert a major scandal. One logical place to start looking is the affair that has Alaska political circles buzzing: an alleged scandal centered around a building contractor, Spenard Building Supplies (SBS), with close ties to Palin and her husband, Todd.

Many political observers in Alaska are fixated on rumors that federal investigators have been seizing paperwork from SBS in recent months, searching for evidence that Palin and her husband Todd steered lucrative contracts to the well-connected company in exchange for gifts like the construction of their home on pristine Lake Lucille in 2002. The home was built just two months before Palin began campaigning for governor, a job which would have provided her enhanced power to grant building contracts in the wide open state.

SBS has close ties to the Palins. The company has not only sponsored Todd Palin's snowmobile team, according to the Village Voice's Wayne Barrett, it hired Sarah Palin to do a statewide television commercial in 2004.

Though Todd Palin told Fox News he built his Lake Lucille home with the help of a few "buddies," according to Barrett’s report, public records revealed that SBS supplied the materials for the house. While serving as mayor of Wasilla, Sarah Palin blocked an initiative that would have required the public filing of building permits—thus momentarily preventing the revelation of such suspicious information.

Just months before Palin left city hall to campaign for governor, she awarded a contract to SBS to help build the $13 million Wasilla Sports Complex. The most expensive building project in Wasilla history, the complex cost the city an addition $1.3 million in legal fees and threw it into severe long-term debt. For SBS, however, the bloated and bungled project was a cash cow.

Read more...

If this speculation is true, how would resigning her position "avert a major scandal". She'd have to answer for it even if she weren't governor anymore, right?

good point. Resigning would be the LAST thing she would want to do.

And of course CNN is leading the *coughunbiased charge.

I don't think she has enough upstairs to get the job done. Probably used down stairs, or should have used down, not up.. Has Palin been to Argentina lately?? Or has Sanford been on a Tuna hunt in Alaska?? I'll put five on the later!

It appears her opponents have it backwards, the speculation is she is resiging to run for POTUS, not to 'avoid a scandal.'

Palin prepping for a run for president? - More politics- msnbc.com

That would be great news, if true.
Not if you suport the democrats.

She was treated much as Reagan was in 76, and in 1980 he won as POTUS.

Dems should not be encouraging her to run, just as those idiot GoPers laughed at Obama in 2004, she could easily win.

BO is well on his way to topping Carter in bad governing and his prospects will only get worse the way he does things, with one broken promise after another.

It appears her opponents have it backwards, the speculation is she is resiging to run for POTUS, not to 'avoid a scandal.'

Dems should not be encouraging her to run, just as those idiot GoPers laughed at Obama in 2004, she could easily win.

BO is well on his way to topping Carter in bad governing and his prospects will only get worse the way he does things, with one broken promise after another.

Xeno, I will ask you this, because I know you're non-partisan.

Do you honestly think the GOP wants her to run in 2012, and do you think she has a chance to actually get the nomination?

I know what you say is true, but unless she goes back to junior college to learn basic U.S. governnment and can explain what she learned coherently, she doesn't scare me one bit.

Do you honestly think the GOP wants her to run in 2012, and do you think she has a chance to actually get the nomination?

I don't believe the party wants her, she has bucked them her entire career.

The GoP are the party of stupid clucks, it showed when then ran lib lite McCain vs lib heavy Obama, they got smoked.

Just as dems do poorly trying to be GoPers (2000, 2002, 2004) the GoPers do poorly trying to be Dems (2006 & 2008)

Evertything hinges on the economy, if Obama pushes cap & trade virtually ANYONE will defeat him in 2012.

No amount of campaigning can change the mind of someone ruined by something like that.

I know what you say is true, but unless she goes back to junior college to learn basic U.S. governnment and can explain what she learned coherently, she doesn't scare me one bit.
Politics for her is not about convining you sir, your signature indicates you wouldn't vote for a GoP in any event.

All she needs to do is convinve the people hurting form the economy that she has a better vision and she will win.

Remember, Hitler wasn't a genius either yet he ran a major power.

The GoP are the party of stupid clucks, it showed when then ran lib lite McCain vs lib heavy Obama, they got smoked.

Just as dems do poorly trying to be GoPers (2000, 2002, 2004) the GoPers do poorly trying to be Dems (2006 & 2008)

Evertything hinges on the economy, if Obama pushes cap & trade virtually ANYONE will defeat him in 2012.

No amount of campaigning can change the mind of someone ruined by something like that.

Interesting. Harry Truman once said "The real republican always wins." Is that what you think happened to McCain in reverse?

Politics for her is not about convining you sir, your signature indicates you wouldn't vote for a GoP in any event.

All she needs to do is convinve the people hurting form the economy that she has a better vision and she will win.

Remember, Hitler wasn't a genius either yet he ran a major power.

can she win over the center and independents?

Interesting. Harry Truman once said "The real republican always wins." Is that what you think happened to McCain in reverse?
McCain was incredibly unpopular with conservatives, that is why he picked palin.

She helped him there, but not enough to make any kind of difference, as Obama was far more interesting to the average person then the old man and teh skirt.

Correct...

A potted fern could beat Barry Zero if the economy doesn't improve drastically... If C&T passes that won't be happening...

With a few half concessions Palin could win over many moderates on both sides and the non affiliated and still keep a conservative base. The GOP may not want her, but, if positioned right, they may have no choice.

I find it funny that people focus on a few gaffs from her, but, totally ignore her strong suits.

One simple fact pretty much demonstrates that she is no sitting duck and that is the amount of time and money spent on her by the DNC, Obama staffers and the press.

I'm not sure what I would think of Palin the candidate (the end result Palin), it's entirely too early, but, as a non affiliated and a person who does not support party lines, she would have my ear as much as anyone else.

Forum List

Back