Dictator Bloomberg to restrict pain killers in NYC

tinydancer

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2010
Piney
This man is insane. But he represents Liberal hell on earth.

"Some of the most common and most powerful prescription painkillers on the market will be restricted sharply in the emergency rooms at New York City’s 11 public hospitals, Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg said Thursday in an effort to crack down on what he called a citywide and national epidemic of prescription drug abuse.

Under the new city policy, most public hospital patients will no longer be able to get more than three days’ worth of narcotic painkillers like Vicodin and Percocet"

FUBAR'D that's the world of liberals these days. Control freaks. YIKES.

City officials said the policy was aimed at reducing the growing dependency on painkillers and preventing excess amounts of drugs from being taken out of medicine chests and sold on the street or abused by teenagers and others who want to get high.

“Abuse of prescription painkillers in our city has increased alarmingly,” Mr. Bloomberg said in announcing the new policy at Elmhurst Hospital Center, a public hospital in Queens.

Over 250,000 New Yorkers over age 12 are abusing prescription painkillers, he said, leading to rising hospital admissions for overdoses and deaths, Medicare fraud by doctors who write false prescriptions and violent crime like “holdups at neighborhood pharmacies.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/11/n...public-hospitals-emergency-rooms.html?hp&_r=0

"Some of the most common and most powerful prescription painkillers on the market will be restricted sharply in the emergency rooms at New York City’s 11 public hospitals, Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg said Thursday in an effort to crack down on what he called a citywide and national epidemic of prescription drug abuse.

Under the new city policy, most public hospital patients will no longer be able to get more than three days’ worth of narcotic painkillers like Vicodin and Percocet"

City officials said the policy was aimed at reducing the growing dependency on painkillers and preventing excess amounts of drugs from being taken out of medicine chests and sold on the street or abused by teenagers and others who want to get high.

“Abuse of prescription painkillers in our city has increased alarmingly,” Mr. Bloomberg said in announcing the new policy at Elmhurst Hospital Center, a public hospital in Queens.

Over 250,000 New Yorkers over age 12 are abusing prescription painkillers, he said, leading to rising hospital admissions for overdoses and deaths, Medicare fraud by doctors who write false prescriptions and violent crime like “holdups at neighborhood pharmacies.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/11/n...public-hospitals-emergency-rooms.html?hp&_r=0

It's not like he's talking about ibuprofen, aspirin or acetaminophen. As much as I think Bloomberg is a moron, he does, on rare occasions, get something right. Prescription drug abuse is epidemic in this country and he's trying to do something locally to counter it.

I'm sorry. This is another case of punishing good people who need pain killers for more than 3 days because of the actions of a few.

I realize that there is a problem with prescription drugs. There has been for as long as I can remember. But this is outrageous for a city council to over ride Doctors in ER's.

To make this a blanket mandate is so out of line of what any government official is elected to do.Not be a nanny and run every aspect of the publics life.

Fix the fucking potholes for heaven's sakes.

I'm sorry. This is another case of punishing good people who need pain killers for more than 3 days because of the actions of a few.

I realize that there is a problem with prescription drugs. There has been for as long as I can remember. But this is outrageous for a city council to over ride Doctors in ER's.

To make this a blanket mandate is so out of line of what any government official is elected to do.Not be a nanny and run every aspect of the publics life.

Anyone who needs painkillers for more than 3 days should get them from an actual doctor treating them, not the emergency room.

Do you believe in legalizing marijuana? If not, then wtf are you doing talking shit about restricting painkillers?

I'm from the 60's and I have no problem whatsoever with decriminalization. But I take great umbridge at this dictator in NYC telling people what they can drink, what they can eat, and now what medication they are allowed to have.

What next? What toilet paper you can wipe your ass with? Come on. He's just an elected official.

Not anyone's mother.

I'll reserve judgement and see if it actually works or if, as you claim, it becomes an unnecessary measure that restrict those with legitimate needs.
Emergency rooms are for treating emergencies then referring the patient to their family doctor or health clinic for further treatment where they can get a new prescription if they need one.

Anyone who needs painkillers for more than 3 days should get them from an actual doctor treating them, not the emergency room.

Come on. There are so many out there without a personal doctor and they have to go to the ER

And plain and simple those pompous assholes, the Mayor and his city council aren't doctors.

But some critics said that poor and uninsured patients sometimes used the emergency room as their primary source of medical care. The restrictions, they said, could deprive doctors in the public hospital system — whose mission it is to treat poor people — of the flexibility that they need to respond to patients.

“Here is my problem with legislative medicine,” said Dr. Alex Rosenau, president-elect of the American College of Emergency Physicians and senior vice chairman of emergency medicine at Lehigh Valley Health Network in Eastern Pennsylvania. “It prevents me from being a professional and using my judgment.”

While someone could fake a toothache to get painkillers, he said, another patient might have legitimate pain and not be able to get an appointment at a dental clinic for days. Or, he said, a patient with a hand injury may need more than three days of pain relief until the swelling goes down and an operation could be scheduled.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/11/n...rugs-in-public-hospitals-emergency-rooms.html

Last edited:

Come on. There are so many out there without a personal doctor and they have to go to the ER

And plain and simple those pompous assholes, the Mayor and his city council aren't doctors.

“Here is my problem with legislative medicine,” said Dr. Alex Rosenau, president-elect of the American College of Emergency Physicians and senior vice chairman of emergency medicine at Lehigh Valley Health Network in Eastern Pennsylvania. “It prevents me from being a professional and using my judgment.”

While someone could fake a toothache to get painkillers, he said, another patient might have legitimate pain and not be able to get an appointment at a dental clinic for days. Or, he said, a patient with a hand injury may need more than three days of pain relief until the swelling goes down and an operation could be scheduled.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/11/n...rugs-in-public-hospitals-emergency-rooms.html

Emergency rooms were never intended to fill the role of medical clinic. There are free clinics all over NYC, if they need a physician they need to go there and stop causing unnecessary 6 to 8 hour waits in the emergency rooms.

Do you believe in legalizing marijuana? If not, then wtf are you doing talking shit about restricting painkillers?

I'm from the 60's and I have no problem whatsoever with decriminalization. But I take great umbridge at this dictator in NYC telling people what they can drink, what they can eat, and now what medication they are allowed to have.

What next? What toilet paper you can wipe your ass with? Come on. He's just an elected official.

Not anyone's mother.

Then I take it back and apologize. I thought you were being hateful for the sake of being hateful like a lot of people on this forum.

Bloomberg is ridiculous. He's overstepped his bounds in so many ways but hey, NY keeps reelecting him. I'll have him know I run several miles a day but I also looooove gigantic slurpies from 7 eleven.

Doctors would be liable if they handed out prescriptions to addicts. Of course, laws protect people, such as those claiming disability, and patients don't really have to prove they have a physical condition to get a check every month. I wish they'd make up their minds. In the rules for applying for disability, they say that even if a doctor can't prove or disprove back pain or whatever the complaint is, that if a patient says they can't work because of pain, it's considered a fact.

I think doctors should be allowed to have addicts committed. I don't know the law on this, but it seems there is little they can do. There is generally a limited amount of time that a person can take narcotic pain meds. If doctors are not following the medical guide lines, they should be held responsible.

I do know that many addicts will do anything to get their pain pills and some have even caused injury to themselves. If the rule is now that they can only get 3 days worth of pills, the only thing that will change is that there will be busier ERs because the people will just come back every three days. If people are addicts, they will do whatever is necessary. I think this new law is more likely to flood emergency rooms and create havoc and longer waiting times for people who need help.

No easy answer, but drug abuse is a big problem. Gee, how do those people manage to work and take care of their families? And if they don't work and accept welfare, how would we be able to detect those who present a potential danger to themselves and their children. Hmmm. Liberals don't want to attack the problem at the root by identifying the addicts with drug testing and insisting they get help if they want to continue keeping custody of their children, yet they want to limit their access to drugs to every three days, as if that will make a difference.

Last edited:

It's not like he's talking about ibuprofen, aspirin or acetaminophen. As much as I think Bloomberg is a moron, he does, on rare occasions, get something right. Prescription drug abuse is epidemic in this country and he's trying to do something locally to counter it.

In the emergency room? Imagine a multi vehicle accident at the local highway and dozens of injured are brought into the emergency room. Due to laws concerning restricting powerful prescription drugs, as a doctor you now have to choose which of these patients will get that medication. The one that's dying? The one who will live but has two broken legs and a broken back?

Some things should be between a doctor and his/her patient. Bet you would have a fit if they limited abortions due to abuse?

In the emergency room? Imagine a multi vehicle accident at the local highway and dozens of injured are brought into the emergency room. Due to laws concerning restricting powerful prescription drugs, as a doctor you now have to choose which of these patients will get that medication. The one that's dying? The one who will live but has two broken legs and a broken back?

Some things should be between a doctor and his/her patient. Bet you would have a fit if they limited abortions due to abuse?

Except that these "laws" would do nothing of the sort. Did you bother to read the article?

The only restriction is on how many days prescription can be given to single person. There's no situation where this law would require doctors to chose between patients.

Not anyone's mother.

Then I take it back and apologize. I thought you were being hateful for the sake of being hateful like a lot of people on this forum.

Bloomberg is ridiculous. He's overstepped his bounds in so many ways but hey, NY keeps reelecting him. I'll have him know I run several miles a day but I also looooove gigantic slurpies from 7 eleven.

No problem. I may be conservative in many ways, mostly fiscal but it makes no sense whatsoever to tie up the court system, clog jails and ruin peoples lives with a conviction over a small amount of grass.

And you keep going for those slurpees. :lol:

I live south of the slurpee capitol of the world. Winnipeg. Population 700,000 but we've won it 13 times.

Here's our slurpee claim to fame:

Slurpees are offered in many but not all covered countries.

Canadians purchase an average of 30 million drinks per year. Despite its status as a very cold city and with a population of only 700,000, Winnipeg, Manitoba was crowned the Slurpee Capital of the World for the thirteenth time in a row in 2012.

7-Eleven stores across Winnipeg sell an average of 188,833 Slurpee drinks per month. The rest of Canada sells an average of 179,700 per month, which makes Winnipeggers the world leader of Slurpee sales. Unlike their counterparts in America, Canadian Slurpees are not injected with air

:D

Boy I'm derailing my own thread.

Slurpee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He's applying a ham-handed solution and causing lots of problems. There are literally millions of people who take Percocet for legitimate pain management. It's already very hard to get it at pharmacies in NYC and now he wants to make it just plain impossible to have it available for those who need it on a long term basis.

For a few years my wife has had to see (and pay for) a doctor's visit every 6 weeks to get medicine needed to treat a condition that surgery cannot fix. This involves an entire afternoon of waiting, tests, an interview, and then a trip to the pharmacy where she gets to wait and be interviewed again. Subjecting those in actual pain to this ordeal twice a week is inhumane, all to combat a problem that is rampant in the byzantine and corrupt license system.

Where does one get Percocet or Oxycotin in NYC? Pharmacies don't stock them anymore.

Where does one get Percocet or Oxycotin in NYC? Pharmacies don't stock them anymore.

That's not the slightest bit true. Some have stopped stocking them due to robberies, but most pharmacies still carry them. My father just had major surgery, and the pharmacy at his corner in Brooklyn filled all his prescriptions, including oxycontin.

He's applying a ham-handed solution and causing lots of problems. There are literally millions of people who take Percocet for legitimate pain management. It's already very hard to get it at pharmacies in NYC and now he wants to make it just plain impossible to have it available for those who need it on a long term basis.
This law would have no effect on people undergoing long-term pain management, since it only applies to emergency rooms...

For a few years my wife has had to see (and pay for) a doctor's visit every 6 weeks to get medicine needed to treat a condition that surgery cannot fix. This involves an entire afternoon of waiting, tests, an interview, and then a trip to the pharmacy where she gets to wait and be interviewed again. Subjecting those in actual pain to this ordeal twice a week is inhumane, all to combat a problem that is rampant in the byzantine and corrupt license system.
What solutions would you suggest to deal with the staggeringly rampant prescription drug fraud that goes on in this country?

Bloomberg's a self-important prick who's been granted way to much power...

Forum List

Back