Dictator Bloomberg to restrict pain killers in NYC

Discussion in 'Politics' started by tinydancer, Jan 11, 2013.

1. tinydancer

tinydancer Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,950
    This man is insane. But he represents Liberal hell on earth.

"Some of the most common and most powerful prescription painkillers on the market will be restricted sharply in the emergency rooms at New York City’s 11 public hospitals, Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg said Thursday in an effort to crack down on what he called a citywide and national epidemic of prescription drug abuse.

Under the new city policy, most public hospital patients will no longer be able to get more than three days’ worth of narcotic painkillers like Vicodin and Percocet"

FUBAR'D that's the world of liberals these days. Control freaks. YIKES.

City officials said the policy was aimed at reducing the growing dependency on painkillers and preventing excess amounts of drugs from being taken out of medicine chests and sold on the street or abused by teenagers and others who want to get high.

“Abuse of prescription painkillers in our city has increased alarmingly,” Mr. Bloomberg said in announcing the new policy at Elmhurst Hospital Center, a public hospital in Queens.

Over 250,000 New Yorkers over age 12 are abusing prescription painkillers, he said, leading to rising hospital admissions for overdoses and deaths, Medicare fraud by doctors who write false prescriptions and violent crime like “holdups at neighborhood pharmacies.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/11/n...public-hospitals-emergency-rooms.html?hp&_r=0

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. TheOldSchool

TheOldSchool Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    last stop for sanity before reaching the south
    Ratings:
    +27,855
    Do you believe in legalizing marijuana? If not, then wtf are you doing talking shit about restricting painkillers?

3. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,324
    It's not like he's talking about ibuprofen, aspirin or acetaminophen. As much as I think Bloomberg is a moron, he does, on rare occasions, get something right. Prescription drug abuse is epidemic in this country and he's trying to do something locally to counter it.

4. tinydancer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,950
    I'm sorry. This is another case of punishing good people who need pain killers for more than 3 days because of the actions of a few.

I realize that there is a problem with prescription drugs. There has been for as long as I can remember. But this is outrageous for a city council to over ride Doctors in ER's.

To make this a blanket mandate is so out of line of what any government official is elected to do.Not be a nanny and run every aspect of the publics life.

Fix the fucking potholes for heaven's sakes.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 4
  5. theDoctorisIn

theDoctorisIn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,923
    Anyone who needs painkillers for more than 3 days should get them from an actual doctor treating them, not the emergency room.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  6. Politico

Politico Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,491
    This man is insane. But he represents the people who elected and re-elected him.

Fixed it for ya.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. tinydancer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,950
    I'm from the 60's and I have no problem whatsoever with decriminalization. But I take great umbridge at this dictator in NYC telling people what they can drink, what they can eat, and now what medication they are allowed to have.

What next? What toilet paper you can wipe your ass with? Come on. He's just an elected official.

Not anyone's mother.

8. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,324
    I'll reserve judgement and see if it actually works or if, as you claim, it becomes an unnecessary measure that restrict those with legitimate needs.
    Emergency rooms are for treating emergencies then referring the patient to their family doctor or health clinic for further treatment where they can get a new prescription if they need one.

9. tinydancer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,950
    Come on. There are so many out there without a personal doctor and they have to go to the ER

And plain and simple those pompous assholes, the Mayor and his city council aren't doctors.

But some critics said that poor and uninsured patients sometimes used the emergency room as their primary source of medical care. The restrictions, they said, could deprive doctors in the public hospital system — whose mission it is to treat poor people — of the flexibility that they need to respond to patients.

“Here is my problem with legislative medicine,” said Dr. Alex Rosenau, president-elect of the American College of Emergency Physicians and senior vice chairman of emergency medicine at Lehigh Valley Health Network in Eastern Pennsylvania. “It prevents me from being a professional and using my judgment.”

While someone could fake a toothache to get painkillers, he said, another patient might have legitimate pain and not be able to get an appointment at a dental clinic for days. Or, he said, a patient with a hand injury may need more than three days of pain relief until the swelling goes down and an operation could be scheduled.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/11/n...rugs-in-public-hospitals-emergency-rooms.html

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  10. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,324
    Emergency rooms were never intended to fill the role of medical clinic. There are free clinics all over NYC, if they need a physician they need to go there and stop causing unnecessary 6 to 8 hour waits in the emergency rooms.