Dick’s, Major Gun Retailer, Will Stop Selling Assault-Style Rifles

Never heard of ‘em.

One of the nation’s largest sports retailers, Dick’s Sporting Goods, said Wednesday morning it was immediately ending sales of all assault-style rifles in its stores.

The retailer also said that it would no longer sell high-capacity magazines and that it would not sell any gun to anyone under 21 years of age, regardless of local laws.

The announcement, made two weeks after the school shooting in Parkland, Fla., that killed 17 students and staff members, is one of the strongest stances taken by corporate America in the national gun debate. It also carries symbolic weight, coming from a prominent national gunseller.

I quite like Mr. Stack.
Dick's is huge in the Northeast. I had dreamed some chains might do this, but I figured it would happen when pigs fly.
You've made my day, Witchit. Thanks.

We have them all over in Colorado. It's a smart financial move on their part, because they don't only sell guns, but fishing, hiking, camping, ski equipment, bikes and clothing which the younger generation will buy. Now they have a shop that agrees with them on guns--and Dick's sporting goods is the place they'll be headed too.

Bullshit ....they'll loose business because of the stupid pandering...Kmart sells guns they should save their business and sell more guns ..cater to real Americans ..Not the pandering, blithering, idiots:thup:

Never heard of ‘em.

One of the nation’s largest sports retailers, Dick’s Sporting Goods, said Wednesday morning it was immediately ending sales of all assault-style rifles in its stores.

The retailer also said that it would no longer sell high-capacity magazines and that it would not sell any gun to anyone under 21 years of age, regardless of local laws.

The announcement, made two weeks after the school shooting in Parkland, Fla., that killed 17 students and staff members, is one of the strongest stances taken by corporate America in the national gun debate. It also carries symbolic weight, coming from a prominent national gunseller.

I quite like Mr. Stack.
Dick's is huge in the Northeast. I had dreamed some chains might do this, but I figured it would happen when pigs fly.

We have them all over in Colorado. It's a smart financial move on their part, because they don't only sell guns, but fishing, hiking, camping, ski equipment, bikes and clothing which the younger generation will buy. Now they have a shop that agrees with them on guns--and Dick's sporting goods is the place they'll be headed too.

Bullshit ....they'll loose business because of the stupid pandering...Kmart sells guns they should save their business and sell more guns ..cater to real Americans ..Not the pandering, blithering, idiots:thup:

The NRA is getting dumped everywhere--not just Walmart & Dick's sporting goods. Business's in this country are looking at the NRA in a much different prospective--and they're a hell of a lot smarter than you--and they see what's coming if they don't do something. They'll lose business. Not everyone in this country is interested in buying an AR-15---:auiqs.jpg:
Three major car rental companies dump the NRA
NRA backlash: United, Delta are latest companies to dump gun lobby promotions
The full list of companies who have boycotted the NRA over the Florida shooting
NRA fallout: See the list of companies that cut discounts for NRA members after Parkland, Florida school shooting
https://www.bizjournals.com/twincit...rkey-joins-list-of-companies-dumping-nra.html

So your NRA membership is not looking so good for perks anymore.

edtoon_COLOR_NRA_CO_Gun_Massacre.jpg

"The gun rights organization spent a stupendous $54.4 million in the 2016 election cycle, almost all of it in "independent expenditures," meaning spending for or against a candidate but not a direct contribution to a campaign. The money went almost entirely to Republicans to a degree that almost looks like a misprint (but isn't): Of independent expenditures totaling $52.6 million, Democrats received $265. Yes, that's 265 dollars.

If you're looking for a reason that politicians are quick to declare that their "thoughts and prayers" are with the victims of the horrific slaughters that have become virtually routine in American life, but do nothing further to stop them, look no further."
'Thoughts and prayers' — and fistfuls of NRA money: Why America can't control guns

I understand the arguments, Bootney. I do believe, though, if I had an item that I enjoyed for recreation and it was deemed to be dangerous because some people were abusing it, I would understand giving it up. Especially if there were many alternatives I could choose from to continue enjoying my recreational pursuits.
Oh, I'm sure I would grump and grouse about it for a bit, but the safety of society trumps me having fun. That's what I was taught. With rights come responsibilities.
But, what if banning it does NOTHING, like I am CERTAIN it will. Would I be unreasonable for grumping and grousing then?

IT

WILL

DO

NOTHING!!!!

Why? Because the tool is not the problem. No matter how much gun control you get, sick people will still try to commit mass murder.

We didn't have this problem in the 1930s, when machine guns were legal. We didn't have this problem 20 years ago.

The guns don't seem to be the real problem. Why don't we start looking at what changed that has caused all these school/church/workplace shootings?

Remember Columbine?

The Assault Weapons Ban was in place when that happened.
I believe I put in a post not long ago saying that harm reduction is not the same as expecting 100% safety.
You are PREDICTING that an "Oops Weapons ban" will do nothing. You are PREDICTING that if Oops are made illegal, that next some fascist government will be storming your home and confiscating everything including your bb gun.
You have no idea what will happen. The last time there was an assault weapons ban, it kept mass shootings from increasing. When it was lifted, mass shootings increased 200% the next year. In the past five months we have had THREE of the DEADLIEST mass shootings in this country. It is TIME to put on the brakes. The majority of these mass shootings are done with Oops weapons and perhaps if they were not available, the next mass shooter would kill half as many or be stopped sooner. It's risk reduction, not a promise of 100% safety. Life ain't 100% safe. I'm not giving up on this position. Neither is over half the population of this country. Real hunters don't use Ooops weapons. People seeking a cheap "badass" image want AR's. Or they enjoy them at the rifle range. If rifle ranges want to let people shoot them there, fine, but keep them there. They don't belong on our streets and in our closets. They are knock offs of military weapons and they don't belong in civilian hands.

And this is where you, and folks on the left, display your complete ignorance for what is going on. See if someone /actually/ wants to kill as many as possible they do /not/ spray and pray so the rate of fire is meaningless. If someone actually wants to kill as many as possible they aim. IF you want to get down to nuts and bolts reality; the truth is that the faster rate of fire is much more likely to kill /less/ people because of the recoil wiping out accuracy. When you fire fast the muzzle lifts and your aim goes to shit unless you are strong enough to compensate for the recoil - which most kids who lose their minds are generally not.

Most nut job kids are unpopular and unliked because 99% of the time there's a sign of their mental instability/violent tendencies that the "normal" kids pick up and shun. How about we go back to profiling on that and watch the kids everyone dislikes a bit closer?

How about we have adults watching the people entering the schools? It's not exactly easy to slip a long gun in if people are paying attention. Handguns are far, far easier to "sneak in." How about metal detectors? How about following the actual laws/regulations on the books designed to catch fruit loops like this /before/ they do harm?

Why does the left /always/ go straight to taking away innocent law abiding citizens rights? Fuck that. Look at other solutions before you start taking away rights and we might actually be able to stop this crap.

Never heard of ‘em.

I quite like Mr. Stack.

The NRA is getting dumped everywhere--not just Walmart & Dick's sporting goods. Business's in this country are looking at the NRA in a much different prospective--and they're a hell of a lot smarter than you--and they see what's coming if they don't do something. They'll lose business. Not everyone in this country is interested in buying an AR-15---:auiqs.jpg:
NRA fallout: See the list of companies that cut discounts for NRA members after Parkland, Florida school shooting
https://www.bizjournals.com/twincit...rkey-joins-list-of-companies-dumping-nra.html

"The gun rights organization spent a stupendous $54.4 million in the 2016 election cycle, almost all of it in "independent expenditures," meaning spending for or against a candidate but not a direct contribution to a campaign. The money went almost entirely to Republicans to a degree that almost looks like a misprint (but isn't): Of independent expenditures totaling $52.6 million, Democrats received $265. Yes, that's 265 dollars.

If you're looking for a reason that politicians are quick to declare that their "thoughts and prayers" are with the victims of the horrific slaughters that have become virtually routine in American life, but do nothing further to stop them, look no further."
'Thoughts and prayers' — and fistfuls of NRA money: Why America can't control guns

You sure you want to make this argument son?

Planned Parenthood Action Fund PAC
2015-16 Contributions to Congressional Candidates

DemocratsRepublicans
House$533,989$10,000
Senate$147,690$2,500
Total$681,679$12,500
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

In the past three election cycles, Planned Parenthood’s advocacy and political arms, employees, and their families have spent over $38 million to elect or defeat candidates for federal office who decide how much taxpayers subsidize the nation’s largest abortion provider.

According to their latest annual report (2014-2015), Planned Parenthood reports that their affiliates performed 323,999 abortions - that's nearly 35% of the estimated 926,190 abortions performed annually in the United States.

[Note, for the record I'm pro-choice, but the blind hypocrisy pisses me off.]

According to MassShootingTracker.org, there have been 338 mass shootings so far in 2017, including the Las Vegas attack, killing a total of 461 people. 2017 is touted to be the worst mass shooting year in history.

Never heard of ‘em.

I quite like Mr. Stack.
Dick's maintains a very small section of firearms. Most of its business caters to joggers, weight-lifters, tennis players, football players and baseball players. In the firearms sales business, they are insignificant.

We'll see if they remain in business in two years.

This was one of the dumbest business moves I've ever seen.

Never heard of ‘em.

I quite like Mr. Stack.
Dick's maintains a very small section of firearms. Most of its business caters to joggers, weight-lifters, tennis players, football players and baseball players. In the firearms sales business, they are insignificant.

Not really.. When you include the decoys, accessories, hunting gear, fishing stuff --- it's 25% of their floorspace..
A lot of hunting stuff is common to other areas like apparel or camping gear. Not to mention the SURVIVAL gear which is yet another "gun demographic". They are doomed. Trust me on this..

Turners has a banner up saying "Welcome Ex-Dicks Customers, we'll make a donation to the NRA on your sale."

I love it!

A nice hunting rifle with a wooden (or simulated) stock appeals to people who hunt or just like to shoot. Military looking, macho-perfumed 'guns' appeal to odd minds with a propensity to anti-social behaviors.

DERP

What would you know of people who like to shoot?
God and guns remember? one of the few Times Obama spoke the truth about how regressive lefties think and feel about the majority of Americans like you and me

A nice hunting rifle with a wooden (or simulated) stock appeals to people who hunt or just like to shoot. Military looking, macho-perfumed 'guns' appeal to odd minds with a propensity to anti-social behaviors.

DERP

What would you know of people who like to shoot?
God and guns remember? one of the few Times Obama spoke the truth about how regressive lefties think and feel about the majority of Americans like you and me

Ah yes, the contempt the left has for those who cling to "god, guns, and the Constitution."

Never heard of ‘em.

I quite like Mr. Stack.

54 million, or about 1/100th the amount that the Soros international Communists groups spend every election..

gmc15605220180228094000.jpg

Never heard of ‘em.

I quite like Mr. Stack.

We gun owners are 80 million strong and they can drop their discounts but we still aren't giving up our firearms. Come after them and see what you get.

Never heard of ‘em.

I quite like Mr. Stack.

The NRA ..The NRA...brain dead clone ..learn to think for yourself...parrot:slap:

54 million, or about 1/100th the amount that the Soros international Communists groups spend every election..

gmc15605220180228094000.jpg

He doesn't know any better..whatever the leftist tell him to hate he hates

Rights: a word.
Words are human-made and their meanings are decided by humans. We decide who can 'bear' what arms, and we decide to 'bar' whatever arms we want to.
Of course, as with so many false debates in America, the real problem is not about the production or ownership of firearms. It is the mental health of the nation.
If people understood semantics and how language works, there would be far less idiotic verbiage spread about.

I want a goddamn machine gun. I have a RIGHT to a goddamn machine gun.
Just because some dipshit hurts someones feelings with words, should we start banning them? That will probably come after you fucking big govt DUMBFUCKS take our guns.
Idiot! That already happened long ago and guns did not stop it!

REI halts orders from Vista Outdoor over its response to Parkland shooting

"This morning we learned that Vista does not plan to make a public statement that outlines a clear plan of action," the company said Thursday. "As a result, we have decided to place a hold on future orders of products that Vista sells through REI while we assess how Vista proceeds."

Vista's portfolio spans at least 50 brands, including Savage Arms — which produces firearms. While REI doesn't sell guns, the retailer carries products from a number of companies owned by Vista (VSTO), such as Camelbak and Bell.

Forum List

Back