Dick: Let's go to war with Russia?

I figure that the skating conflict will result in a war.

He overlooks the fact that it's also been 20 years since the mullet was "in".

274-633Vancouver_Olympics_Figure_Skating.sff.embedded.prod_affiliate.13.jpg

On the bright side, the Russian Federation Skater sourpuss did win the Gold in the Sore Loser Competition!

He looks like a mixture of Wayne Gretzky and Tom Petty, without a bath or grooming for a month.
I was thinking 'Ann Coulter first thing in the morning'.

The Russians are acting up intentionally trying to see if we'll do something.

I used to think it was possible for us to be friends, but they hate our guts, want to take Alaska back, and are currently whining about losing the Gold in Men's Figure Skating to an American. After the shit they pulled in Salt Lake City....they have no right to complain.

Initially, all done for the collapse of the Soviet Union, then undermined the economy of Russia, besieged bases with rockets, launched a war in South Ossetia and want to be friends. Yes, you just stand-up comedian, what do you think that Russia will agree to have friendly relations with America. Russia will wait for the decline of the U.S., but will not intentionally take any actions to harm, as did the U.S. to Russia.

I know a lot about this subject as I wrote a law review article on a comparison the the executive war powers of the U.S. Presidency and the Russian Federation President, with a sub-issue of whether such Russian powers would allow him to declare war on South Ossetia.

Cheney had American troops on the Russian border training Georgian troops...supplying them with arms and basically begging for a war. That's not to let Putin off the hook. The Russians have treated Georgia like complete crap and really were using the South Ossetian "independence" as a pre-text. Saying that Georgia should let Russia handle the South Ossetia independence is like saying Mexico should handle Texas seceding from the Union. Utter horse shit.

Cheney DID want war. He was hoping to get the military industrial complex up and running again. Them's just facts.

Saakashvili's attack on the tiny South Ossetia with the support of Americans, it is monstrous provocation while the Americans got in the face in the face of their puppet Saakashvili. Russian acted very humanely, but could also bomb the Americans Yugoslavia and Iraq. Cheney and his neo-cons have not been able to do and not do in the future than small provocation and cries about how "bad" Russia.

Clearly he was told no by someone higher up...I wonder who is higher than the vice-president? Who could that be....Could be George W. Bush?

So much for the warmonger theory.

After the fact we've learned that while Cheney had a great deal of power, towards the end he and George W. Bush saw eye to eye less and less frequently. If events had played out earlier in the Bush presidency, we'd have probably ended up at war in some shape or form.

Prior to 9/11, there was a lot of rumbling from the administration about the Chinese and Russians entering into an alliance to curb American power and a push for a new Cold War. Folks paying attention also remember that there was immense pressure for a more hands on approach in each of the break aways from Russia.

All in all, this story isn't that unbelievable, though it would be good to see actual transcripts or witness accounts.

Russia invades Georgia and Cheney is the warmonger?

Whats wrong with people...

It's not as simple as that. Stop being so cartoonish and obvious.

Cheney knowingly put our troops, experts, hardware, and country in proximity to a fight that wasn't necessary for our defense. You know how Viet Nam got started?

All it would take would be one solider to get attacked and we'd be at war...when at the very least we could have sent supplies and weapons and not put our men in proximity to the danger.

Georgian troops didn't need U.S. training all over again. Nor did they need our experts over there getting involved.

He was asking for it...and he almost got it.

Russia invades Georgia and Cheney is the warmonger?

Whats wrong with people...

According to the OP this push by Cheney was happening in 2008. When we were already on the ground in Iraq and Afghanistan.

American military power is formidable, but there is a limit to how much, and how far we can take things. A ground war with Russia on top of our other engagements would have been a disaster.

Cheney seems to have been talking about "surgical" strikes, but once boots hit the ground it'd have blown up quickly.

Where you hear that? :eusa_eh:

It's completely un-related to this story..Remember when Sarah said something to the effect of 'When Russia flys it's planes, they come into Alaska airspace' in response to a national security question..Which prompted this response from SNL and Tina Fey..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psyo4JDbJJ4]YouTube - Sarah Palin: I Can See Russia From My House, Tina Fey[/ame]

Just makin' sure you weren't gonna say Sarah Palin said it. ;)

Sarah Palin said it

and I am going to keep blaming Bush until he is dead!!

Hell--no one stop the right wingers from claiming Gore said he invented the internet, why should we bend over for the cries of the god damn right now??:tongue:

The Russians are acting up intentionally trying to see if we'll do something.

I used to think it was possible for us to be friends, but they hate our guts, want to take Alaska back, and are currently whining about losing the Gold in Men's Figure Skating to an American. After the shit they pulled in Salt Lake City....they have no right to complain.

And what is your definition of 'acting up'?

Cheney knowingly put our troops, experts, hardware, and country in proximity to a fight that wasn't necessary for our defense. You know how Viet Nam got started?

All it would take would be one solider to get attacked and we'd be at war...when at the very least we could have sent supplies and weapons and not put our men in proximity to the danger.

Georgian troops didn't need U.S. training all over again. Nor did they need our experts over there getting involved.

And had Russia taken the Pipeline and begun extorting the west, we wouldnt be at war?

And had Russia taken the Pipeline and begun extorting the west, we wouldnt be at war?

Not if it wasn't OUR pipeline. You've got to get out of that 'policeman of the world' thinking you have going on there.

Forum List

Back