Dick: Let's go to war with Russia?

'I can see Russia from my house!!'

Sorry, couldn't resist that :p.

Dick is a hawk..For him, the more wars the merrier. Imagine Dick as President?!

Gideon Rachman of the FT is reporting that Dick Cheney may have had the intention of going to war with Russia over their invasion of the Republic of Georgia in 2008.

Rachman is citing Ron Asmus' new book on the South Ossetia War, which he quotes as saying that Cheney considered, "the possibility of bombardment and the sealing of the Roki Tunnel as well as other surgical strikes to reduce Russian military pressure."

Rachman also describes an argument cited in the book where Cheney fights with then NSC adviser Steve Hadley over Russia's intentions. Cheney claimed that they were bigger than just war with Georgia, Hadley disagreed.

So Rachman cites a book. The sources for the stuff "reported" within the book are not known, though.

The Russians are acting up intentionally trying to see if we'll do something.

I used to think it was possible for us to be friends, but they hate our guts, want to take Alaska back, and are currently whining about losing the Gold in Men's Figure Skating to an American. After the shit they pulled in Salt Lake City....they have no right to complain.

Gideon Rachman of the FT is reporting that Dick Cheney may have had the intention of going to war with Russia over their invasion of the Republic of Georgia in 2008.

Rachman is citing Ron Asmus' new book on the South Ossetia War, which he quotes as saying that Cheney considered, "the possibility of bombardment and the sealing of the Roki Tunnel as well as other surgical strikes to reduce Russian military pressure."

Rachman also describes an argument cited in the book where Cheney fights with then NSC adviser Steve Hadley over Russia's intentions. Cheney claimed that they were bigger than just war with Georgia, Hadley disagreed.

So Rachman cites a book. The sources for the stuff "reported" within the book are not known, though.

Macmillan: A Little War that Shook the World: Georgia, Russia, and the Future of the West Ronald Asmus: Books

Praise Allah that the war mongers left town, that Gitmo is closed, we're out or Iraq, and not attacking in Pock-ee-staan

Where you hear that? :eusa_eh:

It's completely un-related to this story..Remember when Sarah said something to the effect of 'When Russia flys it's planes, they come into Alaska airspace' in response to a national security question..Which prompted this response from SNL and Tina Fey..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psyo4JDbJJ4]YouTube - Sarah Palin: I Can See Russia From My House, Tina Fey[/ame]

Did Dick Cheney want to start a war with Russia? | Gideon Rachman's Blog | FT.com

Exactly what happened in August, 2008, remains a subject of bitter dispute. So I have greatly enjoyed reading the painstaking reconstruction of events, by Ron Asmus, in a recently published book called, “A Little War that Shook the World” (Palgrave Macmillan). Asmus’s sympathies clearly lie strongly with the Georgian side. But his research seems to be impeccable.

For me, the most fascinating revelation in the book comes on p.186, where Asmus appears to reveal that Vice-President Dick Cheney was pressing for the US to bomb Russia’s invading troops in Georgia.

Where you hear that? :eusa_eh:

It's completely un-related to this story..Remember when Sarah said something to the effect of 'When Russia flys it's planes, they come into Alaska airspace' in response to a national security question..Which prompted this response from SNL and Tina Fey..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psyo4JDbJJ4]YouTube - Sarah Palin: I Can See Russia From My House, Tina Fey[/ame]

Just makin' sure you weren't gonna say Sarah Palin said it. ;)

The article only states that he was considering not geared up and ready. Russia's been a topic for war for a looong time now. Nothin new.

I used to think it was possible for us to be friends, but they hate our guts, want to take Alaska back, and are currently whining about losing the Gold in Men's Figure Skating to an American. After the shit they pulled in Salt Lake City....they have no right to complain.

I figure that the skating conflict will result in a war.

For someone to stand on top of the podium with the gold medal around his neck with just doing triple jumps, to me it's not progress, it's a regress because we've done triples 10 or even 20 years ago

He overlooks the fact that it's also been 20 years since the mullet was "in".

274-633Vancouver_Olympics_Figure_Skating.sff.embedded.prod_affiliate.13.jpg

For someone to stand on top of the podium with the gold medal around his neck with just doing triple jumps, to me it's not progress, it's a regress because we've done triples 10 or even 20 years ago

On the bright side, the Russian Federation Skater sourpuss did win the Gold in the Sore Loser Competition!

On the bright side, the Russian Federation Skater sourpuss did win the Gold in the Sore Loser Competition!

He looks like a mixture of Wayne Gretzky and Tom Petty, without a bath or grooming for a month.

Initially, all done for the collapse of the Soviet Union, then undermined the economy of Russia, besieged bases with rockets, launched a war in South Ossetia and want to be friends. Yes, you just stand-up comedian, what do you think that Russia will agree to have friendly relations with America. Russia will wait for the decline of the U.S., but will not intentionally take any actions to harm, as did the U.S. to Russia.

Initially, all done for the collapse of the Soviet Union, then undermined the economy of Russia, besieged bases with rockets, launched a war in South Ossetia and want to be friends. Yes, you just stand-up comedian, what do you think that Russia will agree to have friendly relations with America. Russia will wait for the decline of the U.S., but will not intentionally take any actions to harm, as did the U.S. to Russia.

I know a lot about this subject as I wrote a law review article on a comparison the the executive war powers of the U.S. Presidency and the Russian Federation President, with a sub-issue of whether such Russian powers would allow him to declare war on South Ossetia.

Cheney had American troops on the Russian border training Georgian troops...supplying them with arms and basically begging for a war. That's not to let Putin off the hook. The Russians have treated Georgia like complete crap and really were using the South Ossetian "independence" as a pre-text. Saying that Georgia should let Russia handle the South Ossetia independence is like saying Mexico should handle Texas seceding from the Union. Utter horse shit.

Cheney DID want war. He was hoping to get the military industrial complex up and running again. Them's just facts.

Forum List

Back