Dick Armey to Tea People: Shhhhh... Don't Tell

He is right Paulie. At least in my state.
Not all of them, but the vast majority.

I don't doubt that there's plenty of republicans, especially down south, who want Obama out simply because he's black.

But to suggest that because the party is mostly white, their agenda is anti-black, is fucking absurd.

good to know he's the same disingenuous twit he's always been...

By KENNETH P. VOGEL
Back To Story Page »
Republican candidates popular with tea party activists should refrain from self-identifying as tea party candidates — and also should stay off MSNBC, Dick Armey said Wednesday.

The former House majority leader, who has emerged as a leading figure within the tea party movement as head of the nonprofit group FreedomWorks told reporters at a lunch sponsored by the Christian Science Monitor, that candidates who call themselves tea party leaders are opening themselves up for more negative scrutiny from hostile media outlets, and he singled out MSNBC as a leading antagonist of the tea party movement and its favored candidates.

“Any legitimate newsperson would be embarrassed to see them pretending to be newspeople,” he said of MSNBC. “They’re not news people. They’re political hacks,” he said, specifically citing the network’s liberal hosts Rachel Maddow and Keith Olbermann. “I’m sorry. I watch that network. I watch that Keith Olberby guy — cracks me up. I know very well he’s never gotten over the Americans beating the Russians in ’80. And he’s got this mean nasty side to him, and it’s entertaining, but don’t tell me he’s a newsperson. It’s a disrespect to the profession.”

Olbermann said Armey "is, as ever, perfectly, wonderfully tone deaf. I actually attended the USA upset of the USSR in Lake Placid in 1980 and it remains one of the most joyous memories of my life as a proud American. I also wonder about why Mr. Armey so happily took money to appear on my show during his days as a paid MSNBC contributor."

Armey’s criticism came after he was asked if he had any advice for tea party-backed candidates such as GOP Senate candidates Rand Paul of Kentucky, who took heat after stumbling under tough questioning from Maddow about whether he supports the Civil Rights Act, and Sharron Angle of Nevada, who has avoided taking questions from most mainstream media outlets.

“Rand Paul made an amateur mistake — a freshman mistake, a rookie mistake. He thought MSNBC was a legitimate news operation. Bless his heart,” Armey said. “If he had called me and said ‘should I go on that show?’ I would have said ‘no, they’re political hacks. They will abuse the truth purposefully for a political purpose.’”

Later, though, Armey said Paul’s “bigger mistake” came in his victory speech after securing the nomination, when he said “I have a message from the tea party. ... We've come to take our government back" and added: "This tea party movement is a message to Washington that we are unhappy and we want things done differently."

Armey said “I think that hurt him more than (the Civil Rights Act exchange), because the principles of liberty won that position and he won by adhering to them.” He quipped that Paul’s reasoning for positioning himself as a tea party leader might have been, “Alright, I don’t have a big enough target on my back. Since the left hates the tea party and they hate me, let’s see if we can get ‘em to double down on me by me claiming to be the leader of the tea party.”

“Don’t ask for more of what you really don’t want,” Armey said. Pointing out that Paul “ran as a Republican — he won the Republican primary,” Armey suggested that Paul and other tea party-backed candidates can remain true to the movement’s limited government principles without becoming targets by declaring themselves tea party leaders.

He recommended that tea party-backed candidates stick to local media outlets and Fox News, which is regarded as friendlier turf for conservatives.

“Fox News for many of us, we believe is more accurate and reliable than most news most of the time, and we are quite comfortable enjoy when we’ve given interviews there,” he said.

Still, he described a “a free, fair, professional press” as crucial to a functioning democracy and said “irrespective of the number of disappointments that you will have in the press — and you will have them, you must always be willing to take a chance on anybody who says ‘I am from the press and I am here to interview you,’ until you know for certain that this is one of the unreliable ones. You should all be thought to be reliable until proven otherwise.”

POLITICO Forums:politics: Armey: Avoid 'tea party' label, MSNBC - POLITICO.com

the best part is the loon is still whining that rachel maddow was mean to poor rand paul. the nerve of her asking him questions and not tossing softballs like faux news.

While his comments/opinion on MSNBC's handling of things tea party related is true and accurate his decision to "Avoid" them is as pathetic as the obama administration's calling out fox news as not being a real news network.

The difference is that there are 6 liberal networks and 1 conservative network. Avoiding one liberal one is no big deal. Avoiding the only one on the right, means you don't want your message going out to those people.

He is right Paulie. At least in my state.
Not all of them, but the vast majority.

I don't doubt that there's plenty of republicans, especially down south, who want Obama out simply because he's black.

But to suggest that because the party is mostly white, their agenda is anti-black, is fucking absurd.

All I know is what I observe.

What you're observing is something in rural Kentucky.

No one should really be surprised at the observation, you have to consider the source.

The quote below is from Wikipedia:

"In 2009, FreedomWorks launched a campaign against health care reform proposals, accusing the Obama administration of attempting to "socialize medicine".[17] Referencing a piece entitled "On Private Conference Call, Tea Party Organizers Say No Reform At All is Goal" on Greg Sargent's liberal blog The Plum Line, [18] Rachel Maddow argued in her investigative report entitled "TRMS Investigates FreedomWorks" [19] that the right's strategy was to disrupt and shut down the August 2009 town hall congressional meetings on health care reform[19] by “scaring real Americans with increasingly paranoid and kooky lies about health care and then providing a script for how to express that fear.”[20] At many of the town halls Democratic "members of Congress have been shouted down, hanged in effigy and taunted by crowds" [21] in an apparent organized effort to rattle the congresspeople presiding over the meetings rather than to seek a compromise solution to health care reform.

The phone conversation cited by Sargent in "On Private Conference Call . . ." was moderated by The Tea Party Patriots, a national co-partner of Dick Armey's FreedomWorks, according to FreedomWorks itself. The Tea Party Patriots website later called for Patriots to begin making calls to melt Congress' phone lines and to weigh in on the health care debate actively, aggressively, and with big numbers. [22] In addition to being the chair of FreedomWorks, Dick Armey was a senior policy adviser for DC-based lobbying firm DLA Piper, whose recent and/or current clients include "pharmaceutical maker Bristol-Myers Squibb Company, ... health care provider Metropolitan Health Networks, and the pharmaceutical firm Medicines Company," [19] all entities that might benefit financially from seeing health care reform defeated. Dick Armey's concurrent posts with both FreedomWorks and DLA Piper became particularly controversial in light of the $1,290,000 DLA Piper received in 2009 from the pharmaceutical company Medicines Co.[23] In the report cited above, Maddow also cited the example of The American Council of Life Insurers, which paid DLA Piper $100,000 shortly before FreedomWorks lobbied to deregulate life insurance, as one instance of a possible conflict of interest involving Armey and the two organizations."

To read the entire article, goggle "Dick Armey". For Rabbi and others who choose to be ignorant, have a blissful day.

I don't trust Wikipedia. I do use it when arguing with idiots because they don't know any better.

I'm not suggesting you trust Wikipedia though its articles are vetted unlike many posted by both sides on this forum. My point, was to suggest Armey needs to be looked at a bit more closely, and that Ms. Maddow does do exactly that. One may disagree with her, but she appears to be a straight talker, willing to let the other side speak without shouting over them (or, like Limbaugh, turning off their ability to speak).
btw, there are a few idiots who post regularly on this forum, but they are mainly on the fringe - the far right fringe - and they don't debate, they post idiotgrams.

good to know he's the same disingenuous twit he's always been...

POLITICO Forums:politics: Armey: Avoid 'tea party' label, MSNBC - POLITICO.com

the best part is the loon is still whining that rachel maddow was mean to poor rand paul. the nerve of her asking him questions and not tossing softballs like faux news.

Their biggest problem with the mean old liberal mainstream media is that they ask questions that have not been cleared in advance. They actually follow up on your responses and ask "What did you mean by that?"

Candidates like Rand Paul and Sharron Angle need to stick to Fox News where they can be sure the right questions are asked.

Not tough ones like "What newspapers do you read?" or "Can you name a Supreme Court decision other than Rowe vs Wade?"

Right.

It wouldn't be that they put on 6 liberal hacks to one sacrificial goat on every show they do.

It wouldn't be that they ONLY ask follow ups or even hard question of the opposition.

It wouldn't be that they are cheerleaders and help their liberal adherents to an extent that would make FOX blush.

It wouldn't be that their commentary on the news, during the "NEWS" is laced with ridicule for the other political side.

No, none of that would be pertinent. :rolleyes:

Pulllllease.

You are right...none of that is pertinent because none of it is true. The "Mainstream Media" sets the tone for journalistic standards. When they sway, they pay a price in integrity and imediately clarify.

All I know is what I observe.

What you're observing is something in rural Kentucky.

No one should really be surprised at the observation, you have to consider the source.

Yes KY did go for McCain/Palin.

Sure it matters you dumbfuck. If you're going to make accusations be prepared to support them or don't make them at all.

Well, I might not be a dumbfuck.

The point is that the entire thing is a baseless hatchet job for the point of taking down a right wing stalwart. So, of course they can't back it up. They've already shown that.

My bad, you MIGHT not be such a dumbfuck, but Sheman most certainly is. I just get tired of those leftwing idiots accusing people of lying and then running away when challenged on it.

Well, I might not be a dumbfuck.

The point is that the entire thing is a baseless hatchet job for the point of taking down a right wing stalwart. So, of course they can't back it up. They've already shown that.

My bad, you MIGHT not be such a dumbfuck, but Sheman most certainly is. I just get tired of those leftwing idiots accusing people of lying and then running away when challenged on it.

One of the things wrong with the GOP now is ex Democratic social/neo cons like Phil Gramm.

Forum List

Back