Diane Ravitch to Readers: Don't Let Charter Industry Silence John Oliver

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011

What do an education historian and a late-night comedian have in common?

Shared opposition to the fraud and abuse associated with charter schools and other privatization efforts, of course.

On Thursday, longtime educator and activist Diane Ravitch encouraged her readers to start a campaign of thanks to comedian John Oliver, who devoted a segment of his HBO show Last Week Tonight on Sunday to charter schools and fraud—and is now being targeted by privatizers and other corporate propagandists on Twitter.

Charter supporters are "saying that he 'hurt' children, he savaged children," she wrote, noting that this is "a familiar tactic" of intimidation that she faced after writing about dubious test-scoring methods in New York City school a decade ago.

Ravitch called on her readers to combat the hate by tweeting and emailing Oliver messages of support. "Don't let the charter industry intimidate him," she wrote.
Diane Ravitch to Readers: Don't Let Charter Industry Silence John Oliver

Attempts to silence. What the hell is wrong with people?

comedian John Oliver, who devoted a segment of his HBO show Last Week Tonight on Sunday to charter schools and fraud

I've only seen him once, has he ever devoted any time to government fraud and waste?

Anyone who says comedic 'news' shows like his or Stewart's have no impact are inherently wrong. They have more impact because humor allows the brain to relax and allow information in.

comedian John Oliver, who devoted a segment of his HBO show Last Week Tonight on Sunday to charter schools and fraud

I've only seen him once, has he ever devoted any time to government fraud and waste?

I have only seen him a few times. This is government fraud and waste.

Forum List

Back