DI abuse or Accepted Motivational Mehtods

Discussion in 'Military' started by DiogenesDog, Nov 14, 2007.

1. DiogenesDog

DiogenesDog Zen Bonobo

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21
    My basic training cycle was the first in which a DI was not allowed to put hands on or inflict any corporal punishment in ways that brought the possibility of bodily injury, unwarrented exposure to bodily injury or destruction of personal property, all of which fit into a Dopp kit or other authorized container.

The subjects of this piece
    http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/09/09/news/sandiego/18_07_289_8_07.txt

seems to have opened a can of worms for the Corp and any other military branch. I guess everybody can't be Gunny Highway.

I AM

2. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    I don't know about these specific cases; however, a Marine Drill Instructor that has not been allegated on by whiney recruits isn't showing up for work.

I had one allegate on me for making fat ass get in the back of the chow line.:badgrin:

Had a black recruit allegate on me claiming racism because I called him a stupid worthless piece of shit his parents shipped off so they no longer had to support him. Go figure.

Hats who physically abuse privates are out of control. Simple as that. I will say however, the job is HARD. 18 hour days, sometimes for months on end. The remaining 6 are used to shower, shave, take care of uniforms, boots and or gear. You basically run on 4 hours a night.

I'm not making excuses, but anyone that thinks sleep deprivation for 13 weeks at a shot won't affect your mind, judgement and/or ability to reason hasn't been reading up on the topic lately.

If it's still the way it was when I was a Hat, these Marines will be relieved as Drill Instructors for cause, will be court-martialed, busted to nothing and kicked out.

Meaning whatever time they have served to this point, will be for nothing. Anyone thinking they'll get off light needs to think again.

3. DiogenesDog

DiogenesDog Zen Bonobo

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I had a period of motivation by way of a hard stripe E-5 in an unsheathed bayonet drill. He got a little sloppy and I nicked his nose. He rubbed his blood on my face with a smile and said that I might make it. It was in the day when blood wasn't dirty. I shit my white boxers. Until the blood went on my face I thought Leavenworth was the only future I had. But, then there was AIT, escape and evasion and snake eater school while I waited for my clearance. There were about 15 of us mixed in with the AITs heading for Nam. One more slip and I believe that I would have been pegged. I never saw in all that first year any untoward corporal punishment at the hands of an NCO. There was however plenty of "Red Assing" among the AIT crowd for slack jobs. It was a bit of internal adjustment at squad and platoon level. I watched a lot of slack, pack and head for cook school. In 1964, there was still some discretion, two years later, the hard cases and the nascent fraggers were sent to Oakland for shipment by way of antique Victory Ships.

My old Marine, among others, is Gunny Ray. He was late 50s and early 60s. His stories are the documentation of an end of myth and of an era. He was at Cherry Pt., just back from Embassy duty in Beirut, when I was at Ft Jackson.

My good friend David Allan was a high school dropout. He went into the Marines in late 1962. He was a standout in basic and advanced training. He was discharged after a year with a progressive neurological disorder and died of ALS (Lou Gehrig's) at 35. His family had him buried in dress blues. He often told me that he had a tougher time being his father's son than becoming a Marine.

Thanks for stimulating my deeper memories.

I Am

I believe that the composite of all the Marines I know personally could make a Gunny Highway (Heartbreak Ridge - 86).

4. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,017
    The Sgt made a recruit jump into a trash can head first and then pushed him in further. He pegged a few recruits with a tent pole and something else, can't recall right now. None were hurt.

The Corps ordered one of the recruits to testify against him because he refused. After the verdict he said it was to harsh.

The Verdict was bad conduct discharge after reduction to private and 6 month in the brig. The Prosecution wanted , as I recall , at least 2 years.

Two other Sgts are waiting their Courts Martial.

5. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    The part about being my father's son was tougher is definitely true. I was a recruit my entire childhood and didn't realize it until i went to boot camp.

6. 82Marine89

82Marine89 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I still remember the squad bay obstacle course. Over and under every other rack. When we were sweaty enough we went down to the rose garden and made sand angels. We then stood at attention while the sand fleas were served lunch. What these drill instructors did is nothing compared to what they, the recruits, will see while in Iraq. I disagree with the punishment.

7. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Liked that, did you?:badgrin:

Punishment for the sake of punishment is pointless. Punishment for the sake of teaching works. Pain and fear are great motivators whether or not anyone wants to agree with that.

If you screw up and I put you in the pushup position halfway down and hold you there, you're FAR more likely to remember what I'm drilling into your grape than if I pull you aside with my arm on your shoulder and say, "Yo, prive ...."

However, I abused no one. That just makes privates hate you, and when they're too busy hating, they aren't learning.

It's REALLY hard sometimes tho. Privates are pretty-damned-dumb.:lol:

8. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,017
    Not necassarily dumb, just still in the pepsi generation.

9. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770

One can EASILY get into the "privates are dumb" mindset doing a tour as a hat. My comment was actually in jest though. Recruits are just civilians that need to be retrained to function as a military unit. They ren't any more or less dumber than the society that they come from.

I didn't get the pepsi generation tho. I got the early computer age generation where they thought everything could be fixed by hitting the reset button or "ctr-alt-del." :lol:

10. 82Marine89

82Marine89 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I was either to tired or to scared to screw up to worry about hating my Drill Instructors.

They were;

GySgt. Sterling Banks
    SSgt. Murphy
    Sgt. McRae
    Sgt. Baskerville

Great men that made some great Marines.