Devotional Thoughts for USMBers

MarcATL

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2009
Surprised this isn't a created thread already, but anyway, let this be the thread for posting devotional thoughts, readings, expressions, and/or even questions. Good for those wanting to keep in contact w/God.

I'll start w/a snippet from my devotional reading from yesterday entitled...

His Reign of Righteousness
Scripture: Psalm 72:6-8

Every Day God's Way - Day 150 said:
War is a terrible thing. The violence, the suffering, and death of it is simply horrifying. Yet, since the beginning of humanity men have been at war. Something deep within man drive him to dominate and rule other people. Though most men would deny it personally, history reveals that man wil go to almost any lengths to force his will on his contemporaries and those he perceives as his enemies.

But in all of man's conquering and ruling, as his power increases so does his corruption. He cannot rule in righteousness. Only the Promised One can deliver us from ourselves and bring peace to the hearts of men. But though His dominion has no boundaries on the earth, we have the power to limit and resist His rule in our own hearts and lives.

Because God is not a king who forces Himself on us, may we in love and appreciation yield our lives to His peaceful reign.

Selah.

What a thought huh? God is good.

Surprised this isn't a created thread already, but anyway, let this be the thread for posting devotional thoughts, readings, expressions, and/or even questions. Good for those wanting to keep in contact w/God.

War is a terrible thing. The violence, the suffering, and death of it is simply horrifying. Yet, since the beginning of humanity men have been at war. Something deep within man drive him to dominate and rule other people. Though most men would deny it personally, history reveals that man wil go to almost any lengths to force his will on his contemporaries and those he perceives as his enemies.

But in all of man's conquering and ruling, as his power increases so does his corruption. He cannot rule in righteousness. Only the Promised One can deliver us from ourselves and bring peace to the hearts of men. But though His dominion has no boundaries on the earth, we have the power to limit and resist His rule in our own hearts and lives.

Because God is not a king who forces Himself on us, may we in love and appreciation yield our lives to His peaceful reign.

Selah.

Good is relative. Sometimes it is good to be bad.

Author:
Thomas Merton

My Lord God,
I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end.
nor do I really know myself,
and the fact that I think I am following your will
does not mean that I am actually doing so.
But I believe that the desire to please you
does in fact please you.
And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing.
I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.
And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road,
though I may know nothing about it.
Therefore will I trust you always though
I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death.
I will not fear, for you are ever with me,
and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.

Selah.

Good is relative. Sometimes it is good to be bad.
I always remember when Lucifer fell from the grace of God, that he Lucifer would be allowed to walk the Earth, trying to corrupt men and women, to turn against God. You see it all the time with babies being executed in or out of the womb. Men putting their penis in a man's ass. Kids killing kids for 5 minutes of fame on youtube. What was once civilization, has been slowly turned back into savages. Face and body paint at one time was just for war to intimidate their enemies, today it is a badge of honor and considered "art". Art that was pleasant to look at, now has Jesus covered in urine. Music that once were scores of instruments played to calm the savage beast, now are so deplorable that it causes the savage beast to strike out against other people. Just remember there are 2 books that are in effect right now.. which one do you honor?

Bible - God -goodness towards other people.

Rules for Radicals - Lucifer- Evil , because there is only the fight, and the ends justify the means..

Saul Alinsky's Rules for Radicals

Author:
Thomas Merton

My Lord God,
does in fact please you.
That was beautiful!

Today's devotion?

andaronjim

I'm giving you an opportunity to edit your post into a devotional thought brother.

I'd truly like this to remain a devotional, spirit led thread.

Follow Brother Rambunctious' lead.

If not, I'll have to report your post, which I've never actually done before in my entire time on this site.

Selah.

One night I dreamed a dream.
As I was walking along the beach with my Lord.
Across the dark sky flashed scenes from my life.
For each scene, I noticed two sets of footprints in the sand,
One belonging to me and one to my Lord.

After the last scene of my life flashed before me,
I looked back at the footprints in the sand.
I noticed that at many times along the path of my life,
especially at the very lowest and saddest times,
there was only one set of footprints.

This really troubled me, so I asked the Lord about it.
"Lord, you said once I decided to follow you,
You'd walk with me all the way.
But I noticed that during the saddest and most troublesome times of my life,
there was only one set of footprints.
I don't understand why, when I needed You the most, You would leave me."

He whispered, "My precious child, I love you and will never leave you
Never, ever, during your trials and testings.
When you saw only one set of footprints,
It was then that I carried you."

I love God, but not religion.
Religion was made by man to control man..Without it, then man wouldn't know the difference between good and evil. But now Lucifer has infiltrated the church as we see with the communist running the Vatican, telling US that we should build a wall to stop people from coming in, while they sit behind a wall, charging people to go into the Vatican. Fucking EVIL hypocrites.

“Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it’s not the best thing for you.”

“If you sit back & spend too much time feeling good about what you did in the past, you’re going to come up short next time.”

“To live in the past is to die in the present.”

Author:
Thomas Merton

My Lord God,
does in fact please you.
That was beautiful!

Today's devotion?
Its just something I recite each morning....nice thread....Marc...

Equipped For Service

I have filled him with God's Spirit, with wisdom, understanding, and ability in every craft. -- Exodus 31.3

In the Capital in Washington, D.C., there was a quiet little chapel with only a dozen or so chairs. Soft light glowed through a miniature stained-glass window to shine on the Altar of All Faiths.

In a newspaper column in the late 1960s, Eugene Carr told of how two congressmen of different political parties and opposing viewpoints sat in the chapel one afternoon in such deep meditation that they were unaware of each other. Then, as if on signal, they rose almost simultaneously, and without speaking to each other went to the floor of the House.

Later the same day, one of the men proposed an amendment to a heatedly debated bill. To his surprise, the other congressman stood in enthusiastic support of the change. The amendment passed, a decent bill was improved, and needed legislation became law.

Now more than ever we need the calming, uniting force of the Holy Spirit among our men and women on Capital Hill. In quiet stillness, people can be so "filled with God's spirit, with wisdom, understanding, and ability" that they are enabled to forget self, forget polarizing divisions and material interests, and determine to do what is best for all.

Pray for willingness to serve God as a good and faithful servant, seeking peace with others in as far as it depends on you.

Every Day With God, Day 152

“Hold Fast What Is Good”
SUNDAY, JUNE 09

As the gospel circles the globe, Christians encounter different cultures and practices, many of which pertain to family and social relationships. One of the great questions for Christian missionaries is in regard to how they should relate to various cultural norms about many things, including family relationships they might personally find uncomfortable.

Christ’s death was for the sins of every human being everywhere. Many people simply do not know this great truth yet. To bring this news with an invitation to respond is the evangelistic mission of Christians. Because God shows no partiality, Christians are called to treat everyone with respect and integrity, giving them a chance to embrace the good news that is for them, as well.

Though every culture mirrors the fallen condition of the people within it, cultures also may have beliefs that are compatible with Scripture, even useful to the cause of the gospel. The value placed upon close relationships in family and community in many parts of the world is an example. Christians can uphold and strengthen that which is good and in keeping with biblical principles.

At the same time, God’s truth must not be compromised. Church history sadly shows that compromise and accommodation to cultures has yielded a patchwork of pseudo-Christian beliefs posing as authentic Christianity. Satan claims to be the god of this world and happily spreads confusion, but Jesus has redeemed this world, and His Spirit guides His followers into all truth (John 16:13).

-----
Christ does not acknowledge any caste, color, or grade as necessary to become a subject of His kingdom. Admittance to His kingdom does not depend upon wealth or a superior heredity. But those who are born of the Spirit are the subjects of His kingdom. Spiritual character is that which will be recognized by Christ. His kingdom is not of this world. His subjects are those who are partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. And this grace is given them of God. Christ does not find His subjects fitted for His kingdom, but He qualifies them by His divine power. Those who have been dead in trespasses and sins are quickened to spiritual life. The faculties which God has given them for holy purposes are refined, purified, and exalted, and they are led to form characters after the divine similitude.—God’s Amazing Grace, p. 52.

-----
How carefully the Lord worked to overcome the prejudice against the Gentiles that had been so firmly fixed in Peter’s mind by his Jewish training! By the vision of the sheet and its contents He sought to divest the apostle’s mind of this prejudice and to teach the important truth that in heaven there is no respect of persons; that Jew and Gentile are alike precious in God’s sight; that through Christ the heathen may be made partakers of the blessings and privileges of the gospel. . . .

When the brethren in Judea heard that Peter had gone to the house of a Gentile and preached to those assembled, they were surprised and offended. They feared that such a course, which looked to them presumptuous, would have the effect of counteracting his own teaching. . . .

Peter laid the whole matter before them. . . . Convinced that Peter’s course was in direct fulfillment of the plan of God, and that their prejudices and exclusiveness were utterly contrary to the spirit of the gospel, they glorified God, saying, “Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.”—Conflict and Courage, p. 335.

-----
Though the middle wall of partition between Jew and Gentile had been broken down by the death of Christ, letting the Gentiles into the full privileges of the gospel, the veil had not yet been torn away from the eyes of many of the believing Jews, and they could not clearly discern to the end of that which was abolished by the Son of God. The work was now to be prosecuted with vigor among the Gentiles, and was to result in strengthening the church by a great ingathering of souls.

The apostles, in this, their special work, were to be exposed to suspicion, prejudice, and jealousy. As a natural consequence of their departure from the exclusiveness of the Jews, their doctrine and views would be subject to the charge of heresy; and their credentials as ministers of the gospel would be questioned by many zealous, believing Jews.—The Story of Redemption, pp. 303, 304.

A New Power
Scripture: Ephesians 1:18-19

We live in an age in which the lust for power is a common idol. Brute physical power wins championship games and can also oppress vulnerable populations. Economy power births new industries, while at other times monopolizes wealth. Political power can prop up one demographic, while disenfranchising another. Power is all some people respect and all that many seek. Power itself is neutral---how it is used is what determines whether it is good or bad.

When most of us think of Christianity, words such as love, faith, service, and humility come to mind. But power has its place as well. Indeed the limitless power of God is available to those who love and serve Him. His is the power that brought the world into being, sustained life, and conquered death. With such available power, the Christian doesn't have to fear the least not the greatest threat to his well-being. God has, by His power, the ultimate victory.

Pray today for the indwelling strength of the Holy Spirit.

Source: Every Day With God - Day 173

Forum List

Back