Devil’s Punchbowl — An American Concentration Camp So Horrific It was Erased from History

the other mike

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2019
Secret City under Denver Airport
Devil's Punchbowl — An American Concentration Camp So Horrific It was Erased from History
Say the words concentration camps, and most will surmise the topic surrounds World War II and the Nazis; but the hard labor, constant threat of death, and barbarism these microcosmic hells presented weren’t unique to Adolf Hitler — in just one year, around 20,000 freed slaves perished in the Devil’s Punchbowl — in Natchez, Mississippi, U.S.A.

After the Civil War, a massive exodus of former slaves from Southern plantations trekked northward in hopes of reaching a location of true freedom; but embittered soldiers, resentful the people considered property were now free, had other plans.

One tiny town’s population mushroomed twelvefold from the influx, as researcher Paula Westbrook, who has extensively studied Devil’s Punchbowl, noted,

“When the slaves were released from the plantations during the occupation they overran Natchez. And the population went from about 10,000 to 120,000 overnight.”

Unable to grapple with an instant population swell, the city turned to Union troops still lingering after the war to devise a merciless, impenitent solution.

“So they decided to build an encampment for ’em at Devil’s Punchbowl which they walled off and wouldn’t let ’em out,” former director of the Natchez City Cemetery, Don Estes, explained.

Devil’s Punchbowl is so named for a cavernous, bowl-shaped gulch walled off by tree-topped cliffs — an area unintentionally made perfect for a hellacious prison by nature, herself.

A tangle of lush green now tops bluffs near the Mississippi River in Natchez, hiding past atrocities that took place when Union Army soldiers corralled and captured those freed slaves — in worse conditions than they’d endured previously as slaves on sprawling plantations.

In the unrelenting heat and humidity of the deep South, African American men toiled at hard labor clearing thickets of brush, while women and children — not seen as a viable workforce for the task — languished without food or water behind the locked concrete walls of the camp to die of starvation.

Barbarous treatment didn’t even end when someone died.

“The Union Army did not allow them to remove the bodies from the camp,” Westbrook explained. “They just gave ’em shovels and said bury ’em where they drop."

Different time; different place. My city has a prison that housed union prisoners of war. It was apparently pretty wretched with a high death rate. That was a time when there wasn't much in the way of healthcare available and every new prisoner brought with him diseases and such. It was also a time without anything close to modern agribusiness. A lot of people struggled just to provide for their own needs. Churches and such would do what they could to help but it wasn't much in comparison to the never ending needs of the prison population.

Hi Angelo and thank you for posting this.
I contacted the writer on Facebook and recommended
Gladys House for an interview on Freedmen's Town
as another censored site destroyed and covered up.

In this case, the lives lost were "invisible."
Hundreds of elderly residents were forced out over many years
to die of heartbreak, and nobody counts that as a form of genocide.

http://www.isocracytx.net/hp-org/reporter.html

The national landmark was registered but preservation laws were never enforced
but constantly violated. The district was finally recognized as an endangered site,
but only after developers were funded to gut it at taxpayers' expense.

Only after the history is gone and is too late to save,
then it gets recognized. How convenient, right?

I hope this writer agrees to take on the challenge of
capturing the history of Gladys House and FT.
If so, I will pay for your membership on here for a year
as thanks to you and USMB for the referral!

Already made a thread on these Union 'Contraband Camps', and also a map showing their locations. A black historian wrote about them a long time ago, in a book named 'Forced To Glory.

700,000 to 1,000,000 'freed' blacks died in them.

I have to say I'm a 57 year old white man, and I never heard about this until now,
and it's embarrassing to have this in our history. It shouldn't matter who you are.

You should be embarrassed about a lot of things. Your ignorance of history is way down from the top of the list.

The "Union" army? The alcoholic commanding general and his possibly schizophrenic minion who considered himself "God's terrible swift sword" would have been hanged as war criminals today but they elected Grant president and he presided over the most corrupt administration in history while Sherman was declared a hero for burning a city to the ground.

Forum List

Back