Devil Dogs

L.K.Eder

unbannable non-troll
May 29, 2009
theartching thapphireth
Recently I read about the nickname Devil Dogs for Marines. The story sounded suspiciously like an urban myth. Because the legend is that american soldiers fought so hard in WWI in France that the Germans called them Devil Dogs. But there is no good German word for this. In the US propaganda the faulty german Teufel Hunden was used. That's a sign for an urban myth.

TeufelHPstrOrg110.jpg

so my poll question to the soldiers and the marines on this forum is:

would you be

offended because someone casts doubt to be a lame fuck
sad because the sweet tale was wrong
indifferent because it has no impact on your status as a soldier
interested in the origin of this story
completely broken by the chance that actually the army was called "devil dogs"

Teufelshunde - Devil Dogs

EDIT: ok, that was obvious. poll did not work. whatever, the question is in the body of the post

Last edited:
The Germans did in fact call them just that. It was because of the Battle of Belleau Wood. The Marines attacked the advancing Germans for the first time and drove them back stopping their advance on Paris. The Marines did what pretty much no one else had done, they stopped and drove back the Germans. In rough terrain against the odds. They suffered heavy casualties and the Army defended the area with no more advance for about a month while the Marines reorganized. Upon their return to Belleau Wood they once again attacked and drove back the Germans.

In WW1 the Press was not allowed to identify Army units by name for some reason. But they were allowed to identify the marines by unit designation. This meant that while army press was generic with no identifier as to which unit did what, the marines were identified in the Press for all their actions, good or bad.

The Marines were part of an Army division. Simply because there was not a Division of marines available to deploy to Europe.

The Germans did in fact call them just that. It was because of the Battle of Belleau Wood. The Marines attacked the advancing Germans for the first time and drove them back stopping their advance on Paris. The Marines did what pretty much no one else had done, they stopped and drove back the Germans. In rough terrain against the odds. They suffered heavy casualties and the Army defended the area with no more advance for about a month while the Marines reorganized. Upon their return to Belleau Wood they once again attacked and drove back the Germans.

In WW1 the Press was not allowed to identify Army units by name for some reason. But they were allowed to identify the marines by unit designation. This meant that while army press was generic with no identifier as to which unit did what, the marines were identified in the Press for all their actions, good or bad.

The Marines were part of an Army division. Simply because there was not a Division of marines available to deploy to Europe.

i accept everything in your post but the bolded start. this is what i am actually contesting here.

here is another piece in the urban myth puzzle.

allegedly german soldiers were calling american soldiers teufel hunden much earlier than the belleau wood battle.

GERMANS CALL 'EM TEUFEL HUNDEN
Recruiters Report a New Nickname for Marines "Devil Dogs" a Translation--Call Out for Cavalry Men WHERE TO ENLIST

only this part of the article is free. i won't pay money to get the whole thing.

The Marines, who have for generations been known as the "leathernecks" the world over, are now being referred to by Germans at the front as the "Teufel Hunden," the "devil dogs," as reported to the recruiting station in...

note the date: Apr 14, 1918!

and note who is reporting this fact: recruiters!

this propaganda was then really ramped up after the battle of belleau wood.

and look, it worked. from The Jasper news, August 29, 1918:

IN BAD WAY PHYSICALLY
Physicians Verdict Made Recruit Wonder If Any Disease Had Got Away From Him

The curiosity of Henry James who applied for enlistment in the United
States Marine corps at Los Angeles remains unsatisfied.
James was taken before Dr. G. J. Hildebrand the examining physician
and after the usual physical examination was told that he failed to meet
the requirements.
"What's the matter with me?" queried the prospective Hun destroyer
"You've got scoliosis phthisis and synoirtis," was the surgeons reply.
The would be marine blushed to be told so frankly what prevented his becoming
a devil dog
and turned to go out when the doctor shot a few hot parting words after him
Not only that, you're troubled with slight astigmatism, otitis media and
chronic furmunculosis. Gosh was all the lad could say as he fled in confusion.

the prospective hun destroyer wanted so badly to be a devil dog, what a sad story.

Last edited:
Recently I read about the nickname Devil Dogs for Marines. The story sounded suspiciously like an urban myth. Because the legend is that american soldiers fought so hard in WWI in France that the Germans called them Devil Dogs. But there is no good German word for this. In the US propaganda the faulty german Teufel Hunden was used. That's a sign for an urban myth.

TeufelHPstrOrg110.jpg

so my poll question to the soldiers and the marines on this forum is:

would you be

offended because someone casts doubt to be a lame fuck
sad because the sweet tale was wrong
indifferent because it has no impact on your status as a soldier
interested in the origin of this story
completely broken by the chance that actually the army was called "devil dogs"

Teufelshunde - Devil Dogs

EDIT: ok, that was obvious. poll did not work. whatever, the question is in the body of the post

Wouldn't really matter at all. I actually never like that particular term anyway.

But you're still a lame fuck trying to cast doubt with ZERO evidence, regardless the topic.

i accept everything in your post but the bolded start. this is what i am actually contesting here.

allegedly german soldiers were calling american soldiers teufel hunden much earlier than the belleau wood battle.

Recruiters Report a New Nickname for Marines "Devil Dogs" a Translation--Call Out for Cavalry Men WHERE TO ENLIST

only this part of the article is free. i won't pay money to get the whole thing.

The Marines, who have for generations been known as the "leathernecks" the world over, are now being referred to by Germans at the front as the "Teufel Hunden," the "devil dogs," as reported to the recruiting station in...

IN BAD WAY PHYSICALLY

the requirements.
a devil dog

the prospective hun destroyer wanted so badly to be a devil dog, what a sad story.

There is no urban myth unless you have evidence that proves it. Stop running your yap and produce it, or shut up and go back to your corner.

And just to clarify, YOUR doubts don't amount to shit.

IN BAD WAY PHYSICALLY

the requirements.
a devil dog

There is no urban myth unless you have evidence that proves it. Stop running your yap and produce it, or shut up and go back to your corner.

And just to clarify, YOUR doubts don't amount to shit.

frankly, i don't get why you take it that personally. this is not meant as an attack.

i provided proof that the term devil dog did not originate in the battle of belleau wood which took place in june 1918. how would you explain the newspaper article from April 1918 proclaiming the creation of this new term?

time travel with aliens? since we are in the special zone? lol

Forum List

Back