Detroit may close half of its public schools

Bones

VIP Member
Dec 27, 2010
Without aid, DPS may close half of its schools | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Detroit Public Schools would close nearly half of its schools in the next two years, and increase high school class sizes to 62 by the following year, under a deficit-reduction plan filed with the state.

The plan, part of a monthly update Emergency Financial Manager Robert Bobb gives the Department of Education, was filed late Monday to provide insight into Bobb's progress in his attempt to slash a $327 million deficit in the district to zero over the next several years. Under it, the district would slim down from 142 schools now to 72 during 2012-13.

If I were living in Detroit, I'd get the hell out as fast as I can. Then again, dwelling in dollar a month houses in heavily blighted areas is mighty tempting.

Last edited:
Without aid, DPS may close half of its schools | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Detroit Public Schools would close nearly half of its schools in the next two years, and increase high school class sizes to 62 by the following year, under a deficit-reduction plan filed with the state.

The plan, part of a monthly update Emergency Financial Manager Robert Bobb gives the Department of Education, was filed late Monday to provide insight into Bobb's progress in his attempt to slash a $327 million deficit in the district to zero over the next several years. Under it, the district would slim down from 142 schools now to 72 during 2012-13.

If I were living in Detroit, I'd get the hell out as fast as I can. Then again, dwelling in dollar a month houses in heavily blighted areas is mighty tempting.

Did anyone in the unions take a pay freeze?
Pitch in to pay for their benefits?
A minor cut to pension?

I'm betting no.

So they pull this stunt betting that the rest of America will be forced to pony up through taxes and keep the broken system going.

62 kids in one class?

That poor city.
When my kids were going to school in Japan (they have dual citizenship) class sizes were usually around 50 and everyone did just fine.

Class size is a ruse to increase the number of unionized teachers in a school. Americas education problem is poor curriculum and out of control students.

But Americans don't wanna' talk about that.

None of this is being done to decrease the number of students in classes, these schools are being closed and teachers are being fired because the cities cannot afford to keep these schools open and to pay the teachers anymore, they could give a damn if there is 90 kids in each class.

When will you finally raise the rich? Is there any justyfication for having billionaires when your country is going down to hell like this? Whad do you expect from a Pupil coming from a class or school like this? Who will carry your flag tomorrow?

Wanna reduce class size?

End mandated attendance.

That will get the people that don't want to be there out, and the people that do want to be there will thrive.

Many kids might hate school, but that doesn't mean they should skip out on it.

When will you finally raise the rich? Is there any justyfication for having billionaires when your country is going down to hell like this? Whad do you expect from a Pupil coming from a class or school like this? Who will carry your flag tomorrow?
I seriously doubt those kids are "fighting to stay in school" or "burning the midnight oil" studying.

Lettuce be reality here. American schools stink and the kids are out of control yet all the teachers unions say is that "more money is the only solution".

I think we could take two schools, but one's budget 50% and increase the other one's by 50% and after a year we wouldn't see any difference in the results.

wow.

what will the americans accept next? when is reached the melting point?

Detroit is run by democrats. The educational system is pused by the government it's a fail fail for every Kid there.

Detroit was traited by the car companies. This hasn´t anything to do with politics. They followed the harvard´s business seducers and the parasites from McKinsey + Co. I really wonder why these Castles of treachery aren´t run and torn down yet.

Last edited:
62 kids in one class?

That poor city.
When my kids were going to school in Japan (they have dual citizenship) class sizes were usually around 50 and everyone did just fine.

Class size is a ruse to increase the number of unionized teachers in a school. Americas education problem is poor curriculum and out of control students.

But Americans don't wanna' talk about that.

alway watch the entire picture. Japan has an completely different education to his kids. Discipline is still a virtue there, which is trained and demanded from birth to death.
They don´t have these numbers of fatherless children or this number of divorces.

Forum List

Back