Detroit automakers race to keep up with sales

DaGoose

Gold Member
Nov 16, 2010
Illinois
Auto sales are growing so fast that Detroit can barely keep up.

Three years after the U.S. auto industry nearly collapsed, sales of cars and trucks are surging. Sales could exceed 14 million this year, above last year's 12.8 million.

The result: Carmakers are adding shifts and hiring thousands of workers around the country. Carmakers and parts companies added more than 38,000 jobs last year, reaching a total of 717,000. And automakers have announced plans to add another 13,000 this year, mostly on night shifts.

And the hiring is good news for communities around the country that saw hundreds of thousands of manufacturing jobs disappear. Starting in 2005, GM, Ford and Chrysler closed 28 factories and eliminated 88,000 jobs. Parts companies cut another 234,000.

Now, if sales hit 15 million by 2015, as some experts predict, the three Detroit automakers could hire another 20,000 people, predicts Sean McAlinden, chief economist for the Center for Automotive Research in Ann Arbor, Mich.

Foreign carmakers are also shifting production to the U.S. because of higher sales and the weak dollar, which cuts the profits they get from selling vehicles exported to America. Nissan is adding workers in Tennessee. Toyota just hired staff at a new plant in Blue Springs, Miss. Honda is hiring in Alabama and Ohio. Hyundai and Kia plants in Alabama and Georgia are running flat-out but can't meet demand for some models such as the Hyundai Sonata and Elantra.

Last year Americans bought 1.8 million pickups, an 11 percent increase over 2010, as the economy improved and small and large businesses began replacing their aging vehicles. Pent-up demand is fueling the sales. The average age of a truck on U.S. roads has reached a record 11 years.

If sales increase as projected, companies also could run short of compact cars and small SUVs.

http://news.yahoo.com/detroit-automakers-race-keep-sales-080141880.html

WOW!! Let's see someone put a bad spin on this!!

Last edited:

Three years after the U.S. auto industry nearly collapsed, sales of cars and trucks are surging. Sales could exceed 14 million this year, above last year's 12.8 million.

Last year Americans bought 1.8 million pickups, an 11 percent increase over 2010, as the economy improved and small and large businesses began replacing their aging vehicles. Pent-up demand is fueling the sales. The average age of a truck on U.S. roads has reached a record 11 years.

If sales increase as projected, companies also could run short of compact cars and small SUVs.

Good news, maybe.................

It was just a month or so ago there were selling at half price any credit will do.

In fact for a chevy the radio advertised a credit score of less then 550 got you 1.9 percent financing.

Not spinning it down, just reporting facts.

It was just a month or so ago there were selling at half price any credit will do.

In fact for a chevy the radio advertised a credit score of less then 550 got you 1.9 percent financing.

What facts? All I see are claims. Facts require corroboration. :link:

This link isn't good enough? It's in the OP.....

Detroit automakers race to keep up with sales - Yahoo! News

For those extra jobs being created I don't mind paying closer to sticker price, which is what I'm guessing will happen with increased demand.

This link isn't good enough? It's in the OP.....

Detroit automakers race to keep up with sales - Yahoo! News

I meant the claims of "half price, any credit".

Which of the unemployed and under employed people are buying these cars?

It sounds like another democrat flat out lie.

Which of the unemployed and under employed people are buying these cars?

It sounds like another democrat flat out lie.

The economy is starting to gain more and more traction. I don't care if you think it's a lie or not.

No kudos from the RWers??? Do they not care?

For those extra jobs being created I don't mind paying closer to sticker price, which is what I'm guessing will happen with increased demand.

All speculation from here. High gas will kill sales, create layoffs and stifle any recovery.

Detroit is my home town, a lot of family there. We need a fingers crossed SMILEY

Thank you Mr. President.

If rMONY or freaky Santorum or any other trickle-down-pub had been in office, none of this would be happening now.

Forum List

Back