detention camp in Hardin, Montana.

eots

no fly list
Jan 6, 2007
IN TH HEARTS AND MINDS OF FREE MEN
Hardin Jail Finally to Get Inmates
September 15th, 2009 Officials say a private jail in Hardin MT has signed a 10-year contract agreeing to house federal prisoners. Story from KMXC.

Greg Smith, the head of the town’s economic development authority, says the contract with American Private Police Force Organization Incorporated calls for 80 percent of the jobs at the facility to be open to local residents. The contract says more than 200 medium to minimum security inmates will be housed in the prison by mid-January. The $27 million detention center has sat empty since it was completed in 2007. It has a maximum capacity of 464 prisoners.

Hardin Jail Finally to Get Inmates | The Corrections Reporter

Hardin jail operators detail plans for training facility, expansion

ZACH BENOIT
The Billings Gazette
September 29, 2009

HARDIN – Officials from American Police Force, a California security company working to lock down a contract with Two Rivers Authority to fill and operate Hardin’s new but empty jail, provided more details Saturday of how the finished facility will look and operate.

At a Saturday morning press conference, Becky Shay, APF’s new public-relations director, said the company hopes to build a 30,000-square-foot military-style training facility northeast of the jail and a 75,000-square-foot dormitory for the trainees to the southeast, all on a 50-acre plot of land.

She said the buildings would be paid for by APF’s “business activities,” including security and training, weapons and equipment sales, surveillance and investigations, and are projected to cost $17 million to build and $6 million to equip. There is also room to expand the jail, if needed

Montana attorney general launches investigation into Hardin jail

HELENA - Montana Attorney General Steve Bullock launched an investigation Thursday into American Police Force, the California company founded by a Serbian immigrant with a lengthy criminal history that is seeking to run an empty 464-bed jail in Hardin.

Bullock sent a nine-page demand letter late Thursday afternoon to Becky Shay, the spokeswoman for APF and the company's only Montana employee.

Shay did not immediately respond to phone calls Thursday.

According to the document, Bullock is launching the civil investigation into APF over concerns that the company might be violating the Montana Unfair Trade Practices and Consumer Protection Act.

Montana attorney general launches investigation into Hardin jail

Among other things, Bullock demanded that the company provide proof for many statements about the company included on APF's Web site. The site says that the company frequently has contracts with the U.S. government and has operations in all 50 states

Hardin jail operators detail plans for training facility, expansion

APF head Hilton has history of legal trouble

Michael Hilton of American Police Force arrived in Hardin with promises of Mercedes police cars and expertise in operating prisons. He delivered the cars last week, but may have learned about prisons following a 1993 conviction for grand theft.

Public records from police and state and federal courts in California show that Michael Anthony Hilton, using that name and more than a dozen aliases over several years, is cited in multiple criminal, civil and bankruptcy cases, and was sentenced in 1993 to two years in state prison in California.

Hilton pleaded guilty in March 1993 to 14 felonies, including 10 counts of grand theft, one count of attempted grand theft and three counts of diversion of construction funds, according to Orange County court records. He was sentenced to two years in prison, but it is unclear how much time he served.

Court records in that case list his real name as Michael Hilton, but they also include the aliases Midrag Ilia Dokovitch, Midrag Ilia Dokovich and Michael Miodrag.

Hilton, who speaks heavily accented English, has told reporters that he is a naturalized U.S. citizen originally from Montenegro, a country bordering Serbia, and once part of the former Republic of Yugoslavia.
APF head Hilton has history of legal trouble

It's probably going to be Gitmo USA. And at probably twice the cost of Gitmo Cuba. But don't forget we also have radical right winged extremists in our midst. Just check out that angry mob of town hall protesters, carrying signs and asking questions and shit.

Conspiracy theories anyone?

It's probably going to be Gitmo USA. And at probably twice the cost of Gitmo Cuba. But don't forget we also have radical right winged extremists in our midst. Just check out that angry mob of town hall protesters, carrying signs and asking questions and shit.

Conspiracy theories anyone?

LOL carrying signs and asking questions makes one an extremist? OK.....

Conspiracy theory my left nut. This stuff is happening. But keep watching your MSM, I'm sure they've had tons of coverage on this :lol:

I first heard of this, about 1 year ago. Dubya was, at that time, the hand behind all of this. Has that hand changed since then. Has it become an Obama camp? Or is it just a government conspiracy theory altogether?

It is definitely a very disturbing thought. I've seen the videos as well.

What I mean is, that I can understand why you would believe all of this, because there are so many sites that would LEAD you to believe that all of this is true. The most frightening thing that I saw during all of this "conspiracy" was the active military unit dedicated to the US, toward the end of Bush's presidency. My heart was telling me that it was for martial law after the stock market collapse.

But my head finally convinced me that the unit was for a potential attack on US soil (which before 9/11 seemed inconceivable). But it is certainly an interesting debate. You have some interesting evidence. I would love to hear more.

I think Glen Beck mentioned this place on his radio show today. He didn't get into it in depth but said that it wasn't what people think it is.

He's saving the explanation for his TV show. I hate it when he does that cause I don't watch it.

Civilian patrol is not uncommon- the right to keep and bear arms IS essentially our civilian patrol..

I see this as being a possible slippery slope situation.. If the government approves of state funded civilian patrol units, then the right to bear arms is only going to lose more and more strength.. It is scary, in some ways- but in others- it is okay. I like that the company itself is okay with felons working in the jails.

Who better to keep an eye on the inmates than someone with the mind of a criminal? After all, probation and parole officers are often allowed to have felony charges..

Whos to say "once a felon, always a felon"? Do the crime, pay the time- then it should end. I do not believe that people should have their rights to a fair trial, employment, etc, infringed upon by having such a thing as a "criminal history report". I realize that these reports help to aid investigators in finding habits, but these same criminal history reports also give cops (who should be making arrests based on clear and present evidence, not a history) the opportunity to jump the gun and make an arrest or a search based on little or no evidence whatsoever. I support the work that police do, I just don't like how easy it is for them to make a rush judgment on someone, just because they have a criminal history report on them. I think that to truly be free from the double jeopardy clause, the police should have to do real life evidence based investigations, rather than "criminal history" investigations. Otherwise, the person is going to keep being charged with bullcrap charges that they would not have been suspected of, based primarily on the conviction they had in the past.. If you are going to assume someone is guilty of something or dangerous to the public based on a conviction that they already did time for, then why not just keep on charging them with that same crime?? Just doesnt make sense to me.

JD...I agree with you to a point. Past mistakes should not be a valid reason to withhold employment for the most part. There are things that would have to be considered though. The nature of the crime, the time period that has elapsed since it occured, the nature of employment vs the crime itself, and if that is the only thing that shows up on a back ground check. You surely wouldn't want someone convicted of child abuse working in a day care center or a school. But someone who did something stupid when they were younger that warranted a felony on their record shouldn't just automatically be shut out of many many jobs. Personally, I think that if you are convicted of a minor felony offense and you do nothing else for say 10 years that it should automatically be dropped from your record, depending on exactly what the crime was. My case, I'm not ashamed to admit it, I was young and stupid, I used a credit card that didn't belong to me that I found. Only charged like 15.00 or something on it...it was a minor amount...but because of they way they prosecuted it, it was a felony. That's it. Funny thing is, it doesn't show up on a background check. I have no clue why, but if it did, people might be prone to deny me employment because of it even though it was over 30 years ago. I personally think they were just after the "fine money". My mother, while working for the court system in SC, did a really thorough back ground check on me and my brother both one day (I'm thinkin she wanted ammunition or something...lol) and it didn't show up anywhere. So I'm thinking all that money I paid in fines and restitution went into somebodies pocket.

JD...I agree with you to a point. Past mistakes should not be a valid reason to withhold employment for the most part. There are things that would have to be considered though. The nature of the crime, the time period that has elapsed since it occured, the nature of employment vs the crime itself, and if that is the only thing that shows up on a back ground check. You surely wouldn't want someone convicted of child abuse working in a day care center or a school. But someone who did something stupid when they were younger that warranted a felony on their record shouldn't just automatically be shut out of many many jobs. Personally, I think that if you are convicted of a minor felony offense and you do nothing else for say 10 years that it should automatically be dropped from your record, depending on exactly what the crime was.

I actually agree very much with this, and have discussed this at length with peer groups at school, instructors, friends, etc.. Apparently, right now, instead of anything getting automatically dropped, you currently have to petition the governor's office to get a pardon, even for convictions. They have certain criteria, though, that the accusation/ conviction (the charges) have to meet, which is something that I do not agree with.

Like- I don't think that just because someone was convicted of child abuse, that they will go and abuse again.. But if they WILL, then they need to be in JAIL for a substantially longer period of time, to ensure that they are not a threat to society upon release. Light prison sentences are not exactly my favorite things about the current justice system.. (and one of the primary reasons that I am pro legalizing marijuana)

My case, I'm not ashamed to admit it, I was young and stupid, I used a credit card that didn't belong to me that I found. Only charged like 15.00 or something on it...it was a minor amount...but because of they way they prosecuted it, it was a felony. That's it. Funny thing is, it doesn't show up on a background check. I have no clue why, but if it did, people might be prone to deny me employment because of it even though it was over 30 years ago. I personally think they were just after the "fine money". My mother, while working for the court system in SC, did a really thorough back ground check on me and my brother both one day (I'm thinkin she wanted ammunition or something...lol) and it didn't show up anywhere. So I'm thinking all that money I paid in fines and restitution went into somebodies pocket.

Ugh that sucks.. Well at least it doesn't show up on your background.. maybe they ended up dropping the charges or something..

I think that background checks can inevitably be damaging, because they paint a picture of an already guilty person, rather than an innocent until proven guilty person, in any situation.. And in this day in age, with identity thiefs everywhere (people who actually steal your prints, to use in the commission of crimes, I mean) then they should be checking the evidence instead of their cruiser computers- as it would be fairly easy to frame someone for a crime the did not commit, as long as they have opportunity and their prints match anyways.. Its a real shame.

Forum List

Back