Detection of the atmosphere of the 1.6 Earth mass exoplanet GJ 1132b

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
Detection of the atmosphere of the 1.6 Earth mass exoplanet GJ 1132b
[1612.02425] Detection of the atmosphere of the 1.6 Earth mass exoplanet GJ 1132b
Detecting the atmospheres of low-mass low-temperature exoplanets is a high-priority goal on the path to ultimately detect biosignatures in the atmospheres of habitable exoplanets. High-precision HST observations of several super-Earths with equilibrium temperatures below 1000 K have to date all resulted in featureless transmission spectra, which have been suggested to be due to high-altitude clouds. We report the detection of an atmospheric feature in the atmosphere of a 1.6 Mearth transiting exoplanet, GJ 1132b, with an equilibrium temperature of ~600 K and orbiting a nearby M dwarf. We present observations of nine transits of the planet obtained simultaneously in the griz and JHK passbands. We find an average radius of 1.44 +/- 0.21 Rearth for the planet, averaged over all the passbands, which can be decomposed into a "surface radius" at ~1.35 Rearth, and higher contributions in the z and K bands. The z-band radius is 4 sigma higher than the continuum, suggesting a strong detection of an atmosphere. We deploy a suite of tests to verify the reliability of the transmission spectrum, which are greatly helped by the existence of repeat observations. The large z-band transit depth indicates strong opacity from H2O and/or CH4 or an hitherto unconsidered opacity. A surface radius of 1.35 +/- 0.21 Rearth allows for a wide range of interior compositions ranging from a nearly Earth-like rocky interior, with ~70% silicate and ~30% Fe, to a substantially H2O-rich water world. New observations with HST and existing ground-based facilities would be able to confirm the present detection and further constrain the atmospheric composition of the planet.

This is a big breakthrough!!!!

Quite a long time ago, a science fiction writer predicted that we would find habitable planets that would be significantly different than earth, enough so that they would alter the people that settled there. That was Larry Niven. Tales of the Known Universe.

Now we are seeing that prediction being fullfilled. That world is too hot, but there will be those that are not.

If you think of all the different variations of size, temperature, gravity, and atmosphere a planet could possibly have, the idea of finding another earth is unlikely in the extreme.

The process of colonising an exo-planet would most likely take generations and the resultant colonists could be fundamentally different from us.

Another point, if the life there was close to ours, then it is likely that the proteins of that life would induce allergic reactions in our systems. Of course, with genetic engineering, we could design people that could live there, but then they would no longer belong to our species.

1000 K that is close to the melting point of steel what is the point in looking at a planet with that temperature if you looking for a biosphere.

What is important is that the planets that we are seeing with our present primitive devices are earth size and composition, Indicates that when our systems have improved, we will see some that have atmospheres at life capable temperatures.

What is important is that the planets that we are seeing with our present primitive devices are earth size and composition, Indicates that when our systems have improved, we will see some that have atmospheres at life capable temperatures.
What irks me is the crazy excitement every time they find one of these planets close to earth's size. Some of these planets may be in the "goldilocks" zone but that doesn't mean they will be earth like. There is far more going on here on earth than just temperatures that are life friendly.

I'm not saying we won't ever find one of these planets.Our own galaxy is so big its more than a possibility they are out there. We really won't be sure until we send probes to confirm. For now call me interested but I won't jump for joy until it's a fact, proven by direct evidence.

Quite a long time ago, a science fiction writer predicted that we would find habitable planets that would be significantly different than earth, enough so that they would alter the people that settled there. That was Larry Niven. Tales of the Known Universe.

Now we are seeing that prediction being fullfilled. That world is too hot, but there will be those that are not.

Dr. Robert L. Forward wrote a book called "Habitable Planets for Man" where he gives a mathematical formula to calculate an estimate for the number of planets we could use. There are MANY more that we can't. But that others likely have. It is remarkably simple minded to think that only carbon based creatures exist.

Dr. Robert L. Forward wrote a book called "Habitable Planets for Man" where he gives a mathematical formula to calculate an estimate for the number of planets we could use. There are MANY more that we can't. But that others likely have. It is remarkably simple minded to think that only carbon based creatures exist.

If it's anything like the Drake Equation, its way to optimistic. I'll take a look at it and get back to you.

One of the reasons I believe intelligent life is more likely to be carbon based oxygen breathers is because of the abundance of those elements throughout the universe. Of course there's more hydrogen and helium , but hydrogen is volatile in even small amounts and helium just doesn't do anything until you subject it to the forces inside a star. Silicon is the next most abundant element but I don't believe it could be used as a building block for life not by nature anyway but manufactured life definitely. I'm not saying if we ever discover intelligent life out there it will look like us but the basic concept is likely. Look at it this way if dolphins never leave the sea for land would they ever build rocketships.

Buy the way I love Larry Niven. Footfall and Lucifer's Hammer are my favorite, but haven't read the one you mentioned. I'm sure I have it somewhere on my computer so I'll check it out as well. I enjoy the hard sci-fi reads the most.

Forum List

Back