Details of Army abuse investigation surface.

B

bamthin

Details of Army's abuse investigation surface
Pentagon source: Photos may show soldiers, Iraqi detainees
From Barbara Starr
CNN Washington Bureau

WASHINGTON (CNN) --Sources have revealed new details from the Army's criminal investigation into reports of abuse of Iraqi detainees, including the location of the suspected crimes and evidence that is being sought.

U.S. soldiers reportedly posed for photographs with partially unclothed Iraqi prisoners, a Pentagon official told CNN on Tuesday.

A second source confirmed that the Army's Criminal Investigation Division has focused on these pictures, which may depict male and female soldiers.

Investigators have not determined whether any photographs had been taken or had been seen by anyone, but several military police have been removed from duty until the matter is resolved, the source said.

LINK

Seems like this is becoming more rampant and may indicate a serious problem over there.

-Bam

alleged.... possible.... reportedly..... How about we let them finish the investigation and actually find that there WAS wrongdoing before you condemn our military Bam.

Seems like this is becoming more rampant and may indicate a serious problem over there.

Copied right out of the article you linked:

The official said it is not believed that the reports indicate widespread criminal abuse, but that the "nature" of the reports have caused concern in the Pentagon and at U.S. Central Command

:rolleyes:

I understand that, I was refering to the trio that were discharged for abuse of Iraqis, the Capt. West incident, and now this. While the verdict is still out on this incident, it appears that there is some evidence to support it.

I am not indicting the entire armed forces over this, I just think it starting to pop up in the news a little more than I would like to see.

-Bam

Even assuming that this instance (and the other 2 you mentioned) were true, that is still such minute numbers compared to the number of military personnel we have stationed over there, and the number of Iraqi prisoners currently in the Iraq.

3 incidents out of a couple hundred thousand soldiers, in a one year time period is kind of small. And might I point out that, from the other instances you mentioned regarding Iraqi prisoner mistreatment, that the Col. West event is quite debatable on if it was wrong or right. The second incident you mentioned also has questions behind who started it. Did the prisoners get rowdy? Not enough personnel guarding them? and this one is STILL being investigated.

I just think it starting to pop up in the news a little more than I would like to see

There is a difference than seeing this "pop up" in the news and going looking for negative instances to report on. I had not even heard of this until you posted the thread.

You should really sit back and wait for the circumstance to unfold and all the evidence be collected and evaluated before you jump on posting something of this nature, bam.

the Capt West thing has been covered elsewhere here...it was pretty much decided that he should have gotten a medal for what he did.. like it or not he saved lives on BOTH sides...

I agree with Bam on the issue that I don't like to see the military using police powers in an abusive way. Violence in the day to day ops of the military is another point altogether.

However, we disagree with the take on West. While I don't think he should have received a medal, I also don't think he should have been reprimanded the way he was. Jon is right, the net effect was lives saved on both sides and none lost by what he did.

One other point, most of the military are 22-25 year olds. Considering the numbers, what is the level of any questioned violence compared to what the same age group is CONVICTED of?(see I want to be fair, I'll put the military into accused category and allow for convictions here at home).

My guess is the military will come out looking better than good.

Forum List

Back