Destructive to the Social Fabic of America?

Which is most destructive to the fabric of the American family?

• Children being raised by daycare

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Drugs and alcohol

• Gay marriage

• Daddy's leg was blown off by a roadside bomb

• Total voters
You said people are unhappy because they're poor. And I'm saying being poor isn't what makes them unhappy.

But rep for "believe them not", lol.
No, I said if you can't feed your family or care for those you love, everything else becomes unimportant.

And where's my rep?

I think you're funny.

I'm just telling you, while not having money makes things difficult, it's nobody's fault but the people who are actually poor (in this country) that they can't feed their families.

Not only that, but in this country, they CAN feed their families, thanks to our monstrous food benefits programs.

It's amazing how many things get better when one actually works.

I think you're funny.

I'm just telling you, while not having money makes things difficult, it's nobody's fault but the people who are actually poor (in this country) that they can't feed their families.

Not only that, but in this country, they CAN feed their families, thanks to our monstrous food benefits programs.

It's amazing how many things get better when one actually works.
When the dollar is devalued or the state of the economy hurts people's wallets, it isn't quite the same thing. But you know that, I hope.

I vote none of the above. The fabric of the American family cannot be destroyed by any of these maladies.

When the dollar is devalued or the state of the economy hurts people's wallets, it isn't quite the same thing. But you know that, I hope.

And those things aren't destructive to the social fabric of ...whatever. Those are just things that happen. A strong family will make it through.

Different factions of my sister's in-laws family go through huge financial upheavals on a regular basis. They play the stock market, they own huge amounts of property. Every now and then one family will lose everything (and I mean everything). The social fabric of their lives is intact and their kids turn out just fine with a strong sense of family, security and love. When one group goes belly up, the others step up to given them moral, and if possible, financial support until they're back on their feet. It sometimes requires moving to parts unknown (Taiwan, California, somebody's mother's house) but they survive it just fine and their values are not damaged.

It's not lack of money that destroys families. It's a lack of values which destroys families. Money comes and goes and if that's all your focus on, it can be devastating to lose it. But values aren't dependent upon anything but the people who adhere to them, and their committment to them.

And those things aren't destructive to the social fabric of ...whatever. Those are just things that happen. A strong family will make it through.

Maybe. Maybe not. If FDR hadn't put people to work during the depression, who knows what would have happened.

People who are unhappy without money are also unhappy with money, Ravi.

Complete generalization, Allie.

I'm not on a high horse, I'm speaking from experience. Because the ones who can't feed their families generally can't feed their families because they have OTHER ISSUES.

Maybe, but that doesn't mean if they had money they'd be unhappy.

That's not to say there are instances where there's been a catastrophe which knocks the feet out from under families and they go through a period of stress and adjustment. But the families who have got it together, who are well grounded and have some sort of inkling of how to take care of themselves, overcome those obstacles.

More silly generalizations, twisting logic on its face to blame (I suppose) the unfortunate for being unfortunate.

Many intact families did not, do not and will not survive economic disasters, regardless of whether or not they have "issues".

Last edited:

Forum List

Back