Despising the New Deal & hating FDR while your immediate family benefited...

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street

What does one make of people who despise the policies of the New Deal & hate FDR while their immediate family benefited from either or both?

The disconnect suggest being an ingrate or worse, but is it more complicated? Is the disconnect caused by the phenomena of people going with a group identity over self interest? Does belonging to a group override common sense and factual data? Does the need to belong distort principles and the ability to absorb information and data that threatens group thinking?

My immediate family didn't benefit from the "Raw Deal", they lived on farms and didn't do any of the public works jobs or anything but it was a sign of the times, government creates programs, people are basically forced to go on these programs and anyone who bitches about it is a hypocrite.

My immediate family didn't benefit from the "Raw Deal", they lived on farms and didn't do any of the public works jobs or anything but it was a sign of the times, government creates programs, people are basically forced to go on these programs and anyone who bitches about it is a hypocrite.
farm families were not helped by the general policies of FDR or by the New Deal specifically? I wonder what state your family lived in.

So benefiting from a program and bitching about it is not hypocrisy?

Name the program your family or someone you know was forced -- forced to enroll in.

I wonder how many people benefitted from the federal government paying farmers to destroy crops and slaughter animals so that prices for those goods could remain high? Farmers sure, but not everyone was a farmer.

I wonder how many people benefitted from the federal government paying farmers to destroy crops and slaughter animals so that prices for those goods could remain high? Farmers sure, but not everyone was a farmer.
It is a point I would make.

btw, Not every program is supposed to benefit e-v-e-r-y-o-n-e. that kind of thinking would be silly.

btw, Not every program is supposed to benefit e-v-e-r-y-o-n-e. that kind of thinking would be silly.

But should the government be in the business of creating programs that help a small minority to the detriment of everyone else? I'm sorry, but I find destroying perfectly good food and slaughtering animals for no reason while the people suffer to be silly.

But should the government be in the business of creating programs that help a small minority to the detriment of everyone else? I'm sorry, but I find destroying perfectly good food and slaughtering animals for no reason while the people suffer to be silly.

your premise: to the detriment. bad

if crops were subject to supply and demand an farmers went out of business and the farm economy collapsed. more people would be hurt for longer. and the US would lose big r=time.

the fact that people go without and the destroyed crops could be used (oh wait they are in some cases -- government surplus food... my bad, and yours). ...............

you are mixing issues. the national government has a duty to protect the union.

Your notion that the national government has no duty here is wrongheaded. The federal government's responsibility is to keeping the union from being dissolved by 'angry vindictive persons.'. -Jefferson's buddy Justice Johnson

What does one make of people who despise the policies of the New Deal & hate FDR while their immediate family benefited from either or both?

The disconnect suggest being an ingrate or worse, but is it more complicated? Is the disconnect caused by the phenomena of people going with a group identity over self interest? Does belonging to a group override common sense and factual data? Does the need to belong distort principles and the ability to absorb information and data that threatens group thinking?

And why is this relevant?

because this is a message board and the idea of hypocrisy is being discussed?

highlight to stupidity of following group identity.

now go cut off your nose to spite your face.

:eusa_whistle:

because this is a message board and the idea of hypocrisy is being discussed?

highlight to stupidity of following group identity.

now go cut off your nose to spite your face.

:eusa_whistle:

You're the king of hypocrisy and stupidity so ....carry on.

Forum List

Back