Designated Survivor “Omen”

Robert Urbanek

Platinum Member
Nov 9, 2019
Vacaville, CA
On December 30, 2019, I checked out from the library the DVD set of Designated Survivor, a TV series about a cabinet member, Tom Kirkman, played by Kiefer Sutherland, who survives an attack on the Capitol that kills the President, the rest of his Cabinet, the Supreme Court and members of Congress.

As the show starts, Kirkman is watching the President gives his State of the Union Address on TV. His wife walks in, talking on the phone to her daughter. She says, “This is not a quid pro quo.” My ears perk up at this phrase from the Trump impeachment debate. Less than two minutes later, the TV screen turns to static. Bombs explode in the Capitol and Kirkman becomes President.

No real explosion occurred on February 4 during Trump’s State of the Union Address. But it does seem that on that date any remaining unity in this country was blown apart.

The democratic candidates in Iowa all claimed to be going to unite the country. They seemed to say they would do so by ignoring all those who disagreed with them and forging ahead as a united country. I don't think they know what the word united actually means.

Forum List

Back