Desert Driving

Discussion in 'Travel' started by MaineDerryAir, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Yarddog

Yarddog Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,338

I scion ? really?? Ok i change my mind, go play with the locals after all. :nono:

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. longknife

longknife Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,019
    You will be driving I-10 which has lots of service stations and convenience stores along the way. There are also call boxes everywhere if you need them.

I've driven in the desert for decades and modern vehicles have absolutely no problems in the desert. As someone mentioned, the only possible problem will be your tires so make sure you have a good spare and know how to change them.

It's only 300+ miles and you should be able to easily make it on one tank of fuel.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Yarddog

Yarddog Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,338

Probably be a good idea for them to get a start really early before the sun comes up, miss a big portion of the heat .

4. Al Azar

Al Azar VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +515
    It's autumn. By the time he reaches the desert it'll be like a summer day in Los Angeles.

5. candycorn

candycorn Alis volat propriis

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,427
    You'd have more stress on hilly roads at sea level in cool weather. To be on the safe side, put a case of water in your trunk, charge your cell in case there is service, let someone know your route ahead of time, pack self-defense items. The worst thing you could do is try to walk out of the desert if you break down. Dehydration is a bitch.

6. Al Azar

Al Azar VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +515
    True. Never leave your vehicle on foot. If people have to come searching for you, they can spot your car pretty easily from the air or roadway. No so your crazed, wandering carcass.

But you're not likely to be driving off into the desert anyway. Stick to the interstate and federal highways and your only concern should be the inconvenience of a mechanical breakdown away from home. If you do break down and someone stops and offers you a ride, decline and ask them to call the Highway Patrol for you. Don't go with them.

7. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,066
    As long as ya got ole Bessie then you can walk to your heart's content.........

[​IMG]