Depression

My father died of suicide. Happy?

Del is a moron on this subject depression leads to suicide in some people, so clearly depression can kill.

I agree Del is a moron. Depression does kill. Do you have PTSD, too, RGS?

No never had any trauma to create that. Doctor once tried to label me with that. We discussed it. I have no reason to have PTSD.

I have dystymia , which is a continuous level of depression. I have recurring major depression. I have paranoid personality disorder. And have delusional paranoia.

From 94 to 2004 the depression was very bad. There were days when I simply could not move cause if I did I would have killed myself. From 94 to 2000 I was in and out of the hospital as many as 3 times a year.

In 1999 I quit working and the need to go in the hospital was pretty much alleviated. Only been twice since.

In 2004 we found a mix of meds that actually worked for me. Helped relieve some of the depression making it easier for me to control the suicidal thoughts. I take Geodon and celexia. Max doses of both.

I tried a whole lot of anti-depressants over that 10 years none worked well at all .

The meds give me the buffer I need to deal with the major depression episodes and the suicidal thinking. I see a doctor about every month or 2 and I see my therapist every Monday.

Depression can be attributed to something as simple as dietary. Researching the food causing of depression may be a good place to start; caffeine, sugar, food additives and so forth.

Not when it is a lifelong thing.

It is kind alike being born Gay. NO cure, just live with it.

Del is a moron on this subject depression leads to suicide in some people, so clearly depression can kill.

No never had any trauma to create that. Doctor once tried to label me with that. We discussed it. I have no reason to have PTSD.

I have dystymia , which is a continuous level of depression. I have recurring major depression. I have paranoid personality disorder. And have delusional paranoia.

From 94 to 2004 the depression was very bad. There were days when I simply could not move cause if I did I would have killed myself. From 94 to 2000 I was in and out of the hospital as many as 3 times a year.

In 1999 I quit working and the need to go in the hospital was pretty much alleviated. Only been twice since.

In 2004 we found a mix of meds that actually worked for me. Helped relieve some of the depression making it easier for me to control the suicidal thoughts. I take Geodon and celexia. Max doses of both.

I tried a whole lot of anti-depressants over that 10 years none worked well at all .

The meds give me the buffer I need to deal with the major depression episodes and the suicidal thinking. I see a doctor about every month or 2 and I see my therapist every Monday.

Thank you for sharing that. I was diagnosed with severe Complex PTSD in 2009. I've had multiple and extreme traumas throughout my life starting in childhood.

Depression is a secondary conditition for me. It worsens when my PTSD is triggered.

This is episodic. I can be ok and functioning well and then bam, side lined.

Depression can be attributed to something as simple as dietary. Researching the food causing of depression may be a good place to start; caffeine, sugar, food additives and so forth.

Not when it is a lifelong thing.

It is kind alike being born Gay. NO cure, just live with it.

They need to study it more, they still don't know for sure what causes it. They suspect an imbalance of chemicals in the brain but just don't know. Pretty sure mine is hereditary. My dad self medicated, he was a drunk. My sister has similar problems.

yep however it's increased acceptance came about for the wrong reason.
To sell pills.

it makes no difference how it came to be accepted.... the fact is that it is more acceptable and not something to hide away in the closet as crazy aunt june.

Dealing with it for some is the durg's... and they work out well when the right combination is hit on... It is still a step in the right direction.

Ohh pills can and often do help in the battle against depression, but without YOU working on it you will keep being depressed.
And yes it does matter in the sense that the commercial give people the impression that take the pill and cure depression. And some of the pills side effects can be severe in some people.

I agree... "pulling up by the bootstraps" must come from within.... It is finding the tools to do that is the challenge.

It is a misnomer that the pills cure depression.... they only mask the symptoms. The drugs can give you the pick and time you need to.... deal with the problems.

Thank you for sharing that. I was diagnosed with severe Complex PTSD in 2009. I've had multiple and extreme traumas throughout my life starting in childhood.

Depression is a secondary conditition for me. It worsens when my PTSD is triggered.

At one point the Doctor recommend electro shock therapy. I did that like 3 times, didn't help, or so the Doctor says. When you get that done you lose your short term memory during those times.

it makes no difference how it came to be accepted.... the fact is that it is more acceptable and not something to hide away in the closet as crazy aunt june.

Dealing with it for some is the durg's... and they work out well when the right combination is hit on... It is still a step in the right direction.

Ohh pills can and often do help in the battle against depression, but without YOU working on it you will keep being depressed.
And yes it does matter in the sense that the commercial give people the impression that take the pill and cure depression. And some of the pills side effects can be severe in some people.

I agree... "pulling up by the bootstraps" must come from within.... It is finding the tools to do that is the challenge.

It is a misnomer that the pills cure depression.... they only mask the symptoms. The drugs can give you the pick and time you need to.... deal with the problems.

Interestingly enough depression can and does exist without any other mental issues.

At one point the Doctor recommend electro shock therapy. I did that like 3 times, didn't help, or so the Doctor says. When you get that done you lose your short term memory during those times.

That's quite severe depression when you require electro shock therapy. It's amazing you are still among the living. You must be very strong.

That's quite severe depression when you require electro shock therapy. It's amazing you are still among the living. You must be very strong.

Doesn't feel like it. I am dependent on meds, that is not strong. My personal wish is to just cease to exist. However I have a wife and 2 kids, I am the main source of income. Without me they would be in poverty. Not to mention what suicide does to those you leave behind.

AT the worst times I remember them and even though I do not want to be here, I stay.

I tried suicide in 1999. I took a full bottle of prescription sleeping pills. Wife called 911. Ambulance and cops came. Seems in this State one must agree to be helped or be unconscious. I made them wait. SO not only am I daily failure I failed big time that once.

Doesn't feel like it. I am dependent on meds, that is not strong. My personal wish is to just cease to exist. However I have a wife and 2 kids, I am the main source of income. Without me they would be in poverty. Not to mention what suicide does to those you leave behind.

AT the worst times I remember them and even though I do not want to be here, I stay.

I tried suicide in 1999. I took a full bottle of prescription sleeping pills. Wife called 911. Ambulance and cops came. Seems in this State one must agree to be helped or be unconscious. I made them wait. SO not only am I daily failure I failed big time that once.

My heart aches for you. I'm so sorry I ever said anyting upsetting to you about your religion. I wish I could take it all back. You need to be able to lean into your faith.

Depression is a serious, life threatening, chronic illness.

I have my struggles, but it's nothing like this. I have flashbacks and nightmares and panic attacks alternating with depression.

I do have some times when I pop of it.

The only thing that seems to help me is service to others. I can't do enough. And writing helps alot. Does any kind of MH forums help you? I'm a member of a PTSD one.

I'm so sorry I was an ass to you.

Sky

Last edited:
It goes with PTSD for me, too, Sky. Vietnam followed me home, like it did so many of us; too many memories, too many demons and ghosts, too many flashbacks. It's been a long road home; but I'm one of the lucky ones; I've come to terms with most of it, at least most of the time....

The side effects of the junk they sell to "cure" clinical depression is shocking. Birth abnormalities, suicides, heart attacks and strokes. Kids that are doped up on anti-depressants react differently from adults who take the stuff. Allegedly the Columbine killers were doped by the school but nobody made an issue about it.

What do you consider "working with it"? I know plenty of people who worked with it their whole lives and died anyway.

I've personally known three.
chronic depression is a very serious disease !! and people that have never suffered from it will never understand what a debilitating disease it is !! medication is not the finite cure ....you have to combine medication with lifestyle changes like exercise,getting enough sleep,diet,and it is very,very important to get out of the house !!even if it's only to sit on the porch in the sunshine get out !! and find something you like to do like drawing,painting,or writing,ect...and remember you are not alone in your disease ,.............and no matter how bad things get you don't have to do anything to make it worse !!:eusa_angel:

Did these problems begin before of after you left the Corps?

I am medically retired because of them. I served almost 16 years. My Navy Doctor told me with the level of problems I had and being life long I should never have graduated from Boot Camp and I certainly should not have managed to make GySgt.

you are not a failure !! there is an organization for vets called Hidden Wounds that specializes in ptsd !! look them up online !! never quit never surrender !!:eusa_angel:

I am medically retired because of them. I served almost 16 years. My Navy Doctor told me with the level of problems I had and being life long I should never have graduated from Boot Camp and I certainly should not have managed to make GySgt.
Thank you for giving American's 16 yrs of service !! It's people like you that guard against oppression and tyranny invading our free country !! :clap2::clap2:

Forum List

Back