Deported veterans fight to return 'home' from Mexico

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
Deported veterans fight to return 'home' - CNNPolitics.com

Tijuana, Mexico (CNN)In a strip mall on a dusty street, a group of U.S. military veterans gather. Like any group of old soldiers, they joke, swap stories and keep each others' spirits up. But they aren't in Texas or California. This isn't a local VFW. This is Tijuana, Mexico a place most of these men barely knew before being banished here.

These veterans consider the United States home. Mexico is not the country they swore to protect before shipping off to boot camp.

Like many soldiers, Barajas struggled with alcohol and drugs during the closing days of his Army career. After serving six years, he was honorably discharged. But when he returned to Compton, his demons followed him. He struggled to adjust to civilian life. One night, he was arrested for shooting a gun from his vehicle. Even though nobody was hurt, he was charged with assault. He pleaded guilty to illegal discharge of a firearm and served two years in jail. Just as he finished serving his time, freedom in sight, his real nightmare started.
He was informed that because he was a green card holder and not a citizen, he was no longer able to stay in the United States. His six years in the US Army meant nothing. There was no redemption for his plea of guilty or for his time served in jail. He was deported to Mexico, leaving his daughter behind.

Da fuk??? If he served....he is a citizen!

Yeah that's weird.

Not weird at all, many vets got a Dishonorable Discharge and nobody will hire them in the US.
Americans are so bigotted.

so why do they get dishonourable discharge?

Murder, rape and selling classified documents to the enemy.
edit: UCMJ article 92 is a catch all article and I had to read it every day in Vietnam. It is not long to read and I am too lazy to write it down verbatim. Please google search it.

Last edited:
American immigration law is almost like a computer program but with bugs. Sometimes it is human, but mostly just a buggy program. Almost totally technical, and has no common sense. It depends mostly on who is in the White House. I don't even understand why they use immigration officers, the whole thing could be done much faster and better by simply a computer. There is no latitude with signed documents with it, even when the statue of limitation expires or juvenile offenses are concerned. An interesting law to study, if you want to understand how the relationship works between legislators and special interest.

Hmm. I agree he should not be deported. It bull shit. He served, and it should be his service that's taken into consideration. I did not read the write up, but if his discharge was honorable he should not have been deported when there are so many illegals who are much worse who get to stay.

Forum List

Back