Depicting horror: Iraqi artist puts Yazidi trauma to canvas

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
These should also be hung in the halls of the UN along with the pictures of torture in Syrian prisons that are hung there now.

Depicting horror: Iraqi artist puts Yazidi trauma to canvas
A jihadist fighter slits a man’s throat, another brandishes a severed head spiked on his rifle while more militants dump bodies into a trench overflowing with corpses. This is how painter Ammar Salim depicts the massacres the Islamic State (IS) jihadist group perpetrated against his Yazidi minority in northern Iraq last summer.

In his tiny apartment in the city of Dohuk in Iraq’s Kurdish region, Salim has attempted to put the collective memories of his community to canvas in a series entitled “The Yazidi Genocide”. This particular piece, his most recent, includes more than 100 characters and was inspired by mass graves found in the Sinjar area. “Most people fight through weapons, writing, or the press. I said I’d fight through art,” Salim says. “I want people to see what they haven’t seen.” The paintings, including many crowded and colourful scenes reminiscent of Renaissance depictions of hell, are intentionally shocking. One work depicting the fall of Sinjar shows women being raped, killed, and carried away. Another presents cackling jihadists buying and selling Yazidi women in the city of Mosul, their main northern Iraqi hub. Salim fled the town of Bashiqa when IS fighters took over Mosul in June 2014 in an onslaught that overran large areas of Iraq.

Continue reading at:

Depicting horror Iraqi artist puts Yazidi trauma to canvas - Kuwait Times Kuwait Times?

the face of the victims instead of murals dedicated to the 'heroes' that carry out the crimes.
People should be reminded and motivated to end the massacres.

Children having to witness ISIS carnage...
icon_omg.gif

Yazidi Boy on ISIS Genocide: ‘We Could Smell the Stench From The Dead People, It Smelled Death’
September 16, 2016 | A Yazidi boy who survived the Islamic State's attack on his village said the jihadists tried to force him to convert to Islam, and when he ran away one night he saw many dead Yazidis, people he knew, and the area was so foul you "could smell the stench from the dead people," who were lying in ditches or hanged, "their faces had turned black."
The boy, about 12 years old, made his remarks in a video interview with Dr. Hawar Moradi, a medical doctor who has volunteered to work in the refugee camps in Kurdistan. The Islamic State, or ISIS, attacked the Yazidi villages in northern Iraq in August 2014. Many of the Yazidi men and teenage boys were killed immediately. Girls and young women were taken and sold as sex slaves. According to the U.N. Human Rights Council, more than 3,200 Yazidi women and children are still held by ISIS, and "thousands of Yazidi men and boys are missing. The Genocide of the Yazidis is ongoing."

In the video, the boy, wearing a black shirt and grey hoodie, explains, “We stayed in that house for 10 days under Daesh’s [ISIS] control. They [ISIS] came to us every day and said that we should convert. Finally, they said we had to convert to Islam. They gave us a paper and forced us to read it. At night, before they came back, we ran away." “We saw many dead people in the ditch," said the boy. "They had been executed. We did not want to see. We were scared." "We could smell the stench from the dead people," he said. "It smelled death. We saw seven people that had been hanged. And the corpses lying in a pile, in the ditch. We recognized them. They were from our village. Their faces had turned black." “There were about a hundred people and those in the ditch were seven," said the boy.

displaced-iraqi-yazidi-2.jpg

A Yazidi mother with two of her children at a refugee camp in Kurdistan.​

Also in the video, a Yazidi mother, surrounded by three children, said, “They [ISIS] killed my brother-in-law by the entrance to the men’s room. My other brother-in-law, they killed behind the house by the stone oven. My oldest son was hurt, they killed him there as well." "My husband ran away among the olive trees," she continued. "A sniper fired at him and killed him there."

In its June 2016 report, “They Came to Destroy: ISIS Crimes Against the Yazidis,” the U.N. states, “ISIS has committed, and continues to commit, the crime of genocide, as well as multiple crimes against humanity and war crimes, against the Yazidis.” “ISIS has sought, and continues to seek, to destroy the Yazidis through killings; sexual slavery, enslavement, torture and inhuman and degrading treatment, and forcible transfer causing serious bodily and mental harm; the infliction of conditions of life that bring about a slow death” and “the imposition of measures to prevent Yazidi children from being born,” states the report.

Yazidi Boy on ISIS Genocide: ‘We Could Smell the Stench From The Dead People, It Smelled Death’

Forum List

Back