Dentistry and "The New Normal"

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
I am around 55...born in the 1950's. When I was in high school, only kids with very misshapen palates were ever ever put into braces. I bet there weren't two kids in my high school with braces, and both were looked down as freakish. In my high school days, older folks went into dentures as a matter of course, and for sure no one expected their smile would last all their lives or out-shine the Big Dipper.

Flash forward to 2010. My brother has crooked teeth, but they have been bleached. My crooked teeth were corrected in my 30's with caps and yet they are not "whiter than white" because a cap that was white would not have blended with my natural teeth. So he has crooked white teeth and I have straight slightly off-white ones. Both of us feel we need more work done....yet we didn't have this feeling as late as two years ago. This "need" is somewhat new. Where does it come from? Neither of us follows any celebutante on Twitter. I think it's because our friends and colleagues are having the work done, and so it's begun to feel like a choice we should consider as well.

Back in the early 1990's, a wealthy older friend of mine got implants rather than endure dentures -- and it cost him $20,000. Today, that same procedure probably runs around $10,000 and the cost most likely will continue to decline.

My kid (who had a beautiful smile) went into the old-fashioned metal braces when she was 13 and stayed there until she left for college like 4 years later. But the kid was not a social outcast because every other kid also had braces...it was "the new normal". And now, in 2010, teens and adults can be treated with "invisiline" braces that can be popped off to allow the kid to keep his teeth clean and (I hear) are far less expensive than the old fashioned metal kind.

Around 1987 or so, I knew a young man whose vanity was terrible enough that he'd talked his mom into paying for dental veneers. However, he had had them for a few years and the margin at the cutting edge of the teeth had eroded so that his natural tooth color showed through...sorta like the dental version of a lady who needs to color her hair because her roots are showing. (He planned to hit mom up for new veneers and most likely did so.)

I think we, as a society, have come to view the sparkly white smile as a signal of good health, etc. Of course it is not, because no humanoid has naturally stunningly-white perfectly-straight natural teeth. In my own view, this is akin to the invention of contact lenses....after awhile, wearing eyeglasses seemed outre', down market, etc. because contacts were comfortable and inexpensive. As a society we "saw" everyone as having 20/20 vision because the aids to vision were mostly invisible. But again, any group of humanoids has some members with bad vision...so our "perception" is flawed.

You may have read one of my posts where I mentioned I have cataracts in both eyes. Cataracts are a clouding of the eye's lense, and they very very gradually worsen...many more of you have cataracts as well without realising it because, at first, the effect on vision is undetectabale. When my grandma had cataract surgery in the 1960's, she had to wear glasses after that distorted her eyes to look like an owl's. Apparently those lenses were magnifying glasses of one sort or another. Well, flash forward to 2010. I'll likely have the surgery within the decade...and when I do, they'll replace the damaged lenses with a whiz-bang new artifical ones. Afterwards, I'll have 20/20 vision -- at like 65! I haven't had 20/20 vision since birth. This is great news and I am not at all complaining. Nonetheless, it is still a bit hard for me to to process. We're gonna have to stop making "grandma cannot see well" jokes. 70 year olds will be able to qualify for pilot's licenses they could not get at 20...it's all so strange. Good, but strange.

I actually approve mightly of cosmetic dentistry, which is odd, because I strongly disapprove of (most) sorts of cosmetic surgery. I'm not entirely sure why that is, but I'm okay with you getting veneers etc. to have perfectly straight, white teeth, But if you enhance your lips with collagen I think you're sorta foolish and no longer quite as pretty.

If you have a kid you are raising on a shoestring or are yourself a young person beginning a career, I recommend you surf the 'net a bit and find out about the whiz-bang new stuff dentists can do these days. Your own dentist may not tell you, because these new procedures require an investment in equipment and skills above and beyond a typical family dental practice, and some dentists do not want to or are not able to run out and buy every new invention anymore than a person in any other field of endeavor could afford to do. But if you can have "Big Dipper" teeth for only $400, why not? If they had cost $40,000, no...but at some point when costs have declined enough, it becomes feasible.

In the 1980's, when I agreed to have my kid's teeth straightened, I struggled a bit with the decision. It was going to cost several thousand dollars and her teeth looked fine to me. But I have never regretted it...when someone else looks at my kid, her perfectly straight teeth help telegraph "I am attractive", "I have been raised with certain advantages", etc. I know it's added to her chances in life in ways I am not entirely able to quantify...but that are significant nonetheless.

And the odd thing is, cosmetic dentistry is not popular all over Planet Earth. UK folks evidentially see straight white teeth as signaling "not like us" and don't approve when their celebrities get these procedures done.

What do you think? Do we alter ourselves by artifical means and then "perceive" our modified bodies as "the new normal"?

Last edited:
  • Banned
^Bump^ :eusa_eh:

I am intrigued by this topic. Anyone else care to discuss it or shall I just move it to my blog?

AFTER20REGISTRATION20008.jpg

A link to a website on cosmetic dentistry:

Dr Stephen Phelan - Dr. Phelan

tina-teeth-after.jpg

I'm not particular about teeth, as long as there are no painfully obvious gaps.

I'm far less interested in how they look, and far more interested in keeping them functional. That's my outlook on life, though...

I can't blame people for seeking corrective surgery or hair pieces or teeth whitening or whatever it is they do to improve or modify their bodies.

Perhaps it is all vanity, but it's a vanity that probably comes from realizing that obviously flawed people (according to today's tastes, at least) aren't treated as well as those who fit within the norm.

I realize that this can be overdone, that people become plastic surgery addicted and so forth, but really..is the fact that some people overdo this beneficial kind of treatment any reason to fault people simply seeking to fit in?

Cosmetic surgery, dentistry, baldness prevention & corrective eye surgery prices have dropped over time so the average person can afford them allowing these medical procedures to go mainstream blending into fashion.

The reason cosmetic surgery, dentistry & corrective eye surgery prices have dropped while all other medical cost have shot up is because they are not covered by insurance or government programs. People pay for this with their own money & shop for price. When government or insurance pays for it, price is no option & cost rise to un-affordable levels.

I am around 55...born in the 1950's. When I was in high school, only kids with very misshapen palates were ever ever put into braces. I bet there weren't two kids in my high school with braces, and both were looked down as freakish. In my high school days, older folks went into dentures as a matter of course, and for sure no one expected their smile would last all their lives or out-shine the Big Dipper.

Flash forward to 2010. My brother has crooked teeth, but they have been bleached. My crooked teeth were corrected in my 30's with caps and yet they are not "whiter than white" because a cap that was white would not have blended with my natural teeth. So he has crooked white teeth and I have straight slightly off-white ones. Both of us feel we need more work done....yet we didn't have this feeling as late as two years ago. This "need" is somewhat new. Where does it come from? Neither of us follows any celebutante on Twitter. I think it's because our friends and colleagues are having the work done, and so it's begun to feel like a choice we should consider as well.

Back in the early 1990's, a wealthy older friend of mine got implants rather than endure dentures -- and it cost him $20,000. Today, that same procedure probably runs around $10,000 and the cost most likely will continue to decline.

My kid (who had a beautiful smile) went into the old-fashioned metal braces when she was 13 and stayed there until she left for college like 4 years later. But the kid was not a social outcast because every other kid also had braces...it was "the new normal". And now, in 2010, teens and adults can be treated with "invisiline" braces that can be popped off to allow the kid to keep his teeth clean and (I hear) are far less expensive than the old fashioned metal kind.

Around 1987 or so, I knew a young man whose vanity was terrible enough that he'd talked his mom into paying for dental veneers. However, he had had them for a few years and the margin at the cutting edge of the teeth had eroded so that his natural tooth color showed through...sorta like the dental version of a lady who needs to color her hair because her roots are showing. (He planned to hit mom up for new veneers and most likely did so.)

I think we, as a society, have come to view the sparkly white smile as a signal of good health, etc. Of course it is not, because no humanoid has naturally stunningly-white perfectly-straight natural teeth. In my own view, this is akin to the invention of contact lenses....after awhile, wearing eyeglasses seemed outre', down market, etc. because contacts were comfortable and inexpensive. As a society we "saw" everyone as having 20/20 vision because the aids to vision were mostly invisible. But again, any group of humanoids has some members with bad vision...so our "perception" is flawed.

You may have read one of my posts where I mentioned I have cataracts in both eyes. Cataracts are a clouding of the eye's lense, and they very very gradually worsen...many more of you have cataracts as well without realising it because, at first, the effect on vision is undetectabale. When my grandma had cataract surgery in the 1960's, she had to wear glasses after that distorted her eyes to look like an owl's. Apparently those lenses were magnifying glasses of one sort or another. Well, flash forward to 2010. I'll likely have the surgery within the decade...and when I do, they'll replace the damaged lenses with a whiz-bang new artifical ones. Afterwards, I'll have 20/20 vision -- at like 65! I haven't had 20/20 vision since birth. This is great news and I am not at all complaining. Nonetheless, it is still a bit hard for me to to process. We're gonna have to stop making "grandma cannot see well" jokes. 70 year olds will be able to qualify for pilot's licenses they could not get at 20...it's all so strange. Good, but strange.

I actually approve mightly of cosmetic dentistry, which is odd, because I strongly disapprove of (most) sorts of cosmetic surgery. I'm not entirely sure why that is, but I'm okay with you getting veneers etc. to have perfectly straight, white teeth, But if you enhance your lips with collagen I think you're sorta foolish and no longer quite as pretty.

If you have a kid you are raising on a shoestring or are yourself a young person beginning a career, I recommend you surf the 'net a bit and find out about the whiz-bang new stuff dentists can do these days. Your own dentist may not tell you, because these new procedures require an investment in equipment and skills above and beyond a typical family dental practice, and some dentists do not want to or are not able to run out and buy every new invention anymore than a person in any other field of endeavor could afford to do. But if you can have "Big Dipper" teeth for only $400, why not? If they had cost $40,000, no...but at some point when costs have declined enough, it becomes feasible.

In the 1980's, when I agreed to have my kid's teeth straightened, I struggled a bit with the decision. It was going to cost several thousand dollars and her teeth looked fine to me. But I have never regretted it...when someone else looks at my kid, her perfectly straight teeth help telegraph "I am attractive", "I have been raised with certain advantages", etc. I know it's added to her chances in life in ways I am not entirely able to quantify...but that are significant nonetheless.

And the odd thing is, cosmetic dentistry is not popular all over Planet Earth. UK folks evidentially see straight white teeth as signaling "not like us" and don't approve when their celebrities get these procedures done.

What do you think? Do we alter ourselves by artifical means and then "perceive" our modified bodies as "the new normal"?

Old Normal? New Normal? I've never been a big old new fan of normal. I was born perfect in the sense that what the world felt need to conform to I was already gifted. Not having to even consider change for changes sake my question was always why. Why do others envy my straight teeth? Not mine personally but mine as some achievable prototype. Thier kids and thier kids kids aren't gonna have better teeth because of braces.

If you are "cute" enough you just sort of gravitate towards other "attractive" gene pools that welcome your stuff as desireable. It isn't like you walk over to a girl and you smile and she smiles and the teeth are the "Key" to a perfect relationship but it is a fundimentally sound start. Yo may be a jerk..and she may be a bat shit crazed barbie doll...but at least the kids will be stunning. Truth is that everyone including the super attractive have needs that can be satisfied when the lights get turned off.

From my perspective.. Ya it was easy to get laid....no it didn't lead to some magical perfect life. That took imagination.

Cosmetic surgery, dentistry, baldness prevention & corrective eye surgery prices have dropped over time so the average person can afford them allowing these medical procedures to go mainstream blending into fashion.

The reason cosmetic surgery, dentistry & corrective eye surgery prices have dropped while all other medical cost have shot up is because they are not covered by insurance or government programs. People pay for this with their own money & shop for price. When government or insurance pays for it, price is no option & cost rise to un-affordable levels.

The reason the price has dropped is not because of the absence of government or insurance. It is the result of lower unit productivity costs as technology coupled to demand as made it available to the middle and working classes. The resulting volume drives cost down even further.

I see even plastic surgery heading this way. Around here they run television ads for something called a "Lifestyle Lift"; a new and better sort of face lift that does not create the wind tunnel effect or require 6 months' recuperation. If I understand the ads correctly, the procedure runs around $800 to $1,000.

What will happen to a society where 70 year old men and women look like they're 45...or 35? I kinda sorta think this is a bad thing...that elderly people have a special value we cannot assign to them if we cannot tell who they are.

So I want us all to agree -- none of us will get this done...except for me, LMAO.

*Winks*

carey-ba.jpg

Nancy.jpg

Last edited:
Are you being serious eagleseven? Well, I'll assume you are, and that money is a barrier to getting care.

Here are some suggestions:

There are medical credit cards now. The standard for authorizing them is lower since they can only be used to pay for medical care. Ask at your dentist's and if he cannot refer you, google "medical/dental card in my state".

Qualify for Medicaid/AFDC/Food Stamps...dental is a covered benefit.

Join the military. They'll pay for dental work as well.

Do a year in state prison. I don't especially recommend this just for the dental care, and less than a year will only get you county jail time.

Dental schools and large urban charity hospitals might could allow you basic care for a payment plan you can afford. Very often, they use a sliding scale. The care is usually quite excellent but the waiting time for an appointment can be bad.

Dentists are not immune from this economy. Call one with offices in a "bad" part of town, especially if he is older. Go to see him one on one and explain your situation. Offer to do whatever your skill set allows, from yard work at his office to web design. Can't hurt to try.

Look over your medical insurance policy with a lawyer. Many dental issues are serious body/health risks as well. An abcessed tooth can easily lead to blood poisoning, etc. The health insurance company doubtless wrote out dental as non-covered -- but maybe not well enough to prevent you from bullying them into paying a part of your most needed care.

Look in your phone book for "dental lab" and go see the owner. Tell him what's happening -- in many cases, he can help. The barrier to dental care for serious problems is more often the cap or appliance, not the dentist's time. You'd be amazed at how much free work most dentists do. The lab owner will know which ones.

If all else fails and you are in serious need, get the names and addresses of the dentists on your state's Board of Dentistry. Beg. Offer to allow yourself to be written up as a case in a scientific journal.

I hope any of that helps..and if you were just being flippant, then c'mere, dahlin'. I believe I can knock out a tooth or two with a hammer, he he he.

Last edited:
Are you being serious eagleseven? Well, I'll assume you are, and that money is a barrier to getting care.

Here are some suggestions:

There are medical credit cards now. The standard for authorizing them is lower since they can only be used to pay for medical care. Ask at your dentist's and if he cannot refer you, google "medical/dental card in my state".

Qualify for Medicaid/AFDC/Food Stamps...dental is a covered benefit.

Join the military. They'll pay for dental work as well.

Do a year in state prison. I don't especially recommend this just for the dental care, and less than a year will only get you county jail time.

Dental schools and large urban charity hospitals might could allow you basic care for a payment plan you can afford. Very often, they use a sliding scale. The care is usually quite excellent but the waiting time for an appointment can be bad.

Dentists are not immune from this economy. Call one with offices in a "bad" part of town, especially if he is older. Go to see him one on one and explain your situation. Offer to do whatever your skill set allows, from yard work at his office to web design. Can't hurt to try.

Look over your medical insurance policy with a lawyer. Many dental issues are serious body/health risks as well. An abcessed tooth can easily lead to blood poisoning, etc. The health insurance company doubtless wrote out dental as non-covered -- but maybe not well enough to prevent you from bullying them into paying a part of your most needed care.

Look in your phone book for "dental lab" and go see the owner. Tell him what's happening -- in many cases, he can help. The barrier to dental care for serious problems is more often the cap or appliance, not the dentist's time. You'd be amazed at how much free work most dentists do. The lab owner will know which ones.

If all else fails and you are in serious need, get the names and addresses of the dentists on your state's Board of Dentistry. Beg. Offer to allow yourself to be written up as a case in a scientific journal.

I hope any of that helps..and if you were just being flippant, then c'mere, dahlin'. I believe I can knock out a tooth or two with a hammer, he he he.

:lol: :lol: I think you missed the kind of 'oral' work E7 was referring to. ;)

Ah truely do not think eagleseven was flirting with me, much as I'd like to. As best I can tell, he's actually young enough to be my grandson...at some point, for most adults, the age difference is a "squork factor".

Forum List

Back