Denmark's offensive Jewish cookies

theim

May 11, 2004
Madison, WI
http://www.ejpress.org/article/news/4479

Denmark’s offensive Jewish cookies

By Yigal Romm in Copenhagen Updated: 06/Dec/2005 19:09
A group of Danish Muslims refuse to eat traditional “Jewish” cookies because they feel offended by the name.

According to the daily Danish newspaper B.T., Ole Poulsen, head of the public food consumer department said that the Muslim refusal to buy the cookies could have an effect on sales.

"If this will be the case, then we would be obliged to do something about it," he declared.

He added that changing the product name was a possibility, as had in the past been done with the “Negroes’ kiss” cakes, which were rebranded with a more neutral name.

Jewish cookies, which are made with cinnamon and hazelnuts and actually have nothing particularly Jewish about them, are very popular in Denmark during the pre-Christmas period.

Denmark’s chief rabbi, Bent Lexner, said that he did not see any problem in a name change.

“There is nothing Jewish in it and I wouldn’t mind another name, but I think that it would be better to educate Muslims to respect the culture of the majority in Denmark, if they want the majority to respect their culture".

WHOA! Back off pal! I'm sick of this Islamophobic racism!

Most of Denmark’s “Jewish” cookies are not kosher and they are therefore not consumed by a large part of the Jewish population.

I remember when they rebranded the Negro kisses and banned Negro (Neger) from public life. See what the evil American Empire and the political correctness can do to the world.

Did they not file a law suit in Europe last year about a logo from a fast food restaurant? Islam is about Islam and there is absolutely no room for non believers...to be blunt Islam is really getting on my nerves! :2guns:

“There is nothing Jewish in it and I wouldn’t mind another name, but I think that it would be better to educate Muslims to respect the culture of the majority in Denmark, if they want the majority to respect their culture".

IF only muslums would take this statement to heart. They're free to celebrate their religion and not get prosecuted for it in Denmark, which is a lot more than can be said of Christians in Muslum majority countries.

That part of Danish Muslims don't buy a cookie because it is named Jewish cookie is sad. Allthough i don't know really waht this Jewish cookies are or taste, this initiative comes from the companies themself.

It is not a situation Daish Muslims demonstrateing on the streets, burning "Jewish cookies" etc.
The only thing they do or don't do is buying those product. It is up to Everyone himself what he spends his money for.

The initiative comes from the company, not Muslims demanding a rename of this product. The company wants to change the name due to raise the selling of the product. As i understood the article, the Danish Muslims didn't demand such a step.

Further we can assume for them (Danish Muslims) it is no immediate Question, but for he company itself.

The article, when you don't read it carefully, gives a picture that Danish Muslims are going crazy, demonstrateing on the streets, make stress because of "Jewish Cookies". Actually NOT. The only thing they do is stay away from this product.
This behaviour is sad. but the initiatve for this newspaper-article and the rename comes from the company because of capitalicy-reasons, and not beacuse of Muslims rioting, burning "Jewish Cookies" and soon.

So it is not something big or dramtic when a company wants to rename a product to get better position to sell the product. It is marketing strategy from the company. Nothing more nothing less.

When I was in the Middle East the Arabs had a pastry called, I kid you not, a "ki'ike." It was like a squished soft giant pretzel with sesame seeds. Pretty good, actually.

Forum List

Back