Denmark: al-Qaida-Linked Man Tried to Kill Cartoonist

Sunni Man

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2008
Patriotic American Muslim
COPENHAGEN (Jan. 2) -- A Somali man was under heavy guard at a Danish hospital Saturday after police stopped him from killing an artist whose cartoon of the Prophet Muhammad outraged the Muslim world, the country's intelligence chief said.

Jakob Scharf, head of the PET intelligence agency, said the 28-year-old man with ties to the al-Qaida group al-Shabab broke a window and entered Kurt Westergaard's home in Aarhus on Friday night armed with an ax and a knife.

The 75-year-old artist, who has received previous death threats for depicting the Prophet Muhammad with a bomb-shaped turban, pressed an alarm and fled with his visiting 5-year-old granddaughter to a specially made safe room.

Officers arrived two minutes later and tried to arrest the assailant, who wielded an ax at a police officer, said Preben Nielsen of the Aarhus police. The officer then shot the man in his knee and his hand, authorities said.

The attack on the artist, whose rendering was among 12 cartoons that led to the torching of Danish diplomatic offices in predominantly Muslim countries in 2006, was "terror related," Scharf said.

"The arrested man has, according to PET's information, close relations to the Somali terrorist group al-Shabab and al-Qaida leaders in eastern Africa," Scharf said. "(The attack) again confirms the terror threat that is directed at Denmark and against the cartoonist Kurt Westergaard in particular."

An umbrella organization for moderate Muslims in Denmark condemned the attack.

"The Danish Muslim Union strongly distances itself from the attack and any kind of extremism that leads to such acts," the group said in a statement.

Westergaard remains a potential target for extremists nearly five years after he drew a caricature of the Prophet Muhammad. The drawing was printed along with 11 others in Jyllands-Posten in 2005.

The drawings triggered an uproar a few months later when Danish and other Western embassies in several Muslim countries were torched by angry protesters who felt the cartoons had profoundly insulted Islam.

In October, terror charges were brought against two Chicago men who planned to kill Westergaard and newspaper's former cultural editor.

In 2008, Danish police arrested two Tunisian men suspected of plotting to kill Westergaard. Neither suspect was prosecuted. One was deported and the other was released Monday after an immigration board rejected PET's efforts to expel him from Denmark.

Top Headlines, U.S., World, Politics, Entertainment and Sports News - AOL News

what if he doesnt live in fear?

You want him to live in fear because you believe NO one has the right to not believe what you believe.

The 75-year-old artist, who has received previous death threats for depicting the Prophet Muhammad with a bomb-shaped turban, pressed an alarm and fled with his visiting 5-year-old granddaughter to a specially made safe room.
He doesn't live in fear??? :doubt:

How many people do you know that have an alarm directly wired to the police station and a "specially made safe room" for hiding inside their house?

Last edited:
There are some days I fantasize about being a dictator. I'd shoot the guy in the public square just as an example to what happens to those weasels who try to insult basic human rights. I'd slap him around a bit first, though. :lol:

I'd be a crazy dictator, but most of you would like me. ;)

There are some days I fantasize about being a dictator. I'd shoot the guy in the public square just as an example to what happens to those weasels who try to insult basic human rights. I'd slap him around a bit first, though. :lol:

I'd be a crazy dictator, but most of you would like me. ;)

March him from the jail naked wearing clown make up and a sign that says "I am a big prick with a little prick"

No one should live in fear of the truth, or because he tells the truth.

You want him to live in fear because you believe NO one has the right to not believe what you believe.

The guy can believe what he wants.

But if I slapped a billion people in the face. I would be just a little concerned for my safety. :eek:

No ones face was slapped.

He was commenting on how some religious leaders have death as their main idea.

Smart people learn , stupid people try to kill people who try to make them think.

He knew full well how the idiots would react. You must be very proud.

What bugs me is the Danish cops were too PC to aim for the center of the target when dealing with a guy swinging an ax

But if I slapped a billion people in the face. I would be just a little concerned for my safety. :eek:

Funny how a billion people are quite prepared to slap others in the face who don't subscribe to their beliefs, yet react with violence and murder when the same is done to them. I thought Islam projected itself as a religion of tolerance. Clearly, tolerance is not part of the Islamic psyche.

What bugs me is the Danish cops were too PC to aim for the center of the target when dealing with a guy swinging an ax

Should have used the SAS/SBS tactic. Body shot and double tap to the head.

Not quite that far.... Loon is swinging an ax, the cops should take care of their own safety as well. I just don't think is acceptable to require cops to put themselves at that much risk in this kind of case.

Funny how a billion people are quite prepared to slap others in the face who don't subscribe to their beliefs, yet react with violence and murder when the same is done to them. I thought Islam projected itself as a religion of tolerance. Clearly, tolerance is not part of the Islamic psyche.
Never claimed Islam is a religion of tolerance. :cool:

They was nothing more and nothing less than sharia law. Out with the UK law and all other forms of governing and in with islamic forms of government, this is why they fight

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFKlSeK4Bcs[/ame]

Islam4UK: Out With UK law, in With Islamic Law | Global Terrorism

Saleed was quite candid about his intention of bringing Islamic rule to Britain: "The Government knows we are a threat because they've studied our history.
"The British, they always have this strategy of rule and divide. But we the shabab (youth) will wake up here in the West and we will bring the Sharia here to the UK."
Birmingham City Council has recently earmarked £3 million to try and tackle extremism in local Muslim youth. Saleed mocked this piece of appeasement, saying, "This just goes to show how desperate these Kuffar are."
Abu Waleed is not the only hate peddler on Islam4UK's tour. Another of their speakers, Abu Uzair, gave this message to the people of Britain:
"We don't live in peace with you anymore.
"The banner has risen for jihad inside the UK, which means it's allowed for bombers to attack."
One of the lectures was billed as "Kufr Laws to be Extinct". The group was even so kind enough to lay out how a comparison chart showing the differences between the current UK law and the brutal laws that Islam will bring. This can be seen here. Obviously Muslims there are not happy with getting their own Sharia Courts. Now they want to do away with UK law all together. Big surprise.
The British National Party — Blog — Islam4UK: Hate on our Streets

Forum List

Back