Denmark: al-Qaida-Linked Man Tried to Kill Cartoonist

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Sunni Man, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    COPENHAGEN (Jan. 2) -- A Somali man was under heavy guard at a Danish hospital Saturday after police stopped him from killing an artist whose cartoon of the Prophet Muhammad outraged the Muslim world, the country's intelligence chief said.

Jakob Scharf, head of the PET intelligence agency, said the 28-year-old man with ties to the al-Qaida group al-Shabab broke a window and entered Kurt Westergaard's home in Aarhus on Friday night armed with an ax and a knife.

The 75-year-old artist, who has received previous death threats for depicting the Prophet Muhammad with a bomb-shaped turban, pressed an alarm and fled with his visiting 5-year-old granddaughter to a specially made safe room.

Officers arrived two minutes later and tried to arrest the assailant, who wielded an ax at a police officer, said Preben Nielsen of the Aarhus police. The officer then shot the man in his knee and his hand, authorities said.

The attack on the artist, whose rendering was among 12 cartoons that led to the torching of Danish diplomatic offices in predominantly Muslim countries in 2006, was "terror related," Scharf said.

"The arrested man has, according to PET's information, close relations to the Somali terrorist group al-Shabab and al-Qaida leaders in eastern Africa," Scharf said. "(The attack) again confirms the terror threat that is directed at Denmark and against the cartoonist Kurt Westergaard in particular."

An umbrella organization for moderate Muslims in Denmark condemned the attack.

"The Danish Muslim Union strongly distances itself from the attack and any kind of extremism that leads to such acts," the group said in a statement.

Westergaard remains a potential target for extremists nearly five years after he drew a caricature of the Prophet Muhammad. The drawing was printed along with 11 others in Jyllands-Posten in 2005.

The drawings triggered an uproar a few months later when Danish and other Western embassies in several Muslim countries were torched by angry protesters who felt the cartoons had profoundly insulted Islam.

In October, terror charges were brought against two Chicago men who planned to kill Westergaard and newspaper's former cultural editor.

In 2008, Danish police arrested two Tunisian men suspected of plotting to kill Westergaard. Neither suspect was prosecuted. One was deported and the other was released Monday after an immigration board rejected PET's efforts to expel him from Denmark.

Top Headlines, U.S., World, Politics, Entertainment and Sports News - AOL News

2. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    I guess Allah didnt want him dead.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,010
    How very well adjusted.

4. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    Living in fear 24/7 ain't much of a life. :doubt:

5. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    what if he doesnt live in fear?

You want him to live in fear because you believe NO one has the right to not believe what you believe.

6. Colin

Colin Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,660
    A sacrifice he's prepared to make for the right to freedom of speech!

Sunni Man, the blind intolerance of many Islamists, simply leads to blind intolerance of Islam.

7. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    He doesn't live in fear??? :doubt:

How many people do you know that have an alarm directly wired to the police station and a "specially made safe room" for hiding inside their house?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  8. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    The guy can believe what he wants.

But if I slapped a billion people in the face. I would be just a little concerned for my safety. :eek:

9. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    There are some days I fantasize about being a dictator. I'd shoot the guy in the public square just as an example to what happens to those weasels who try to insult basic human rights. I'd slap him around a bit first, though. :lol:

I'd be a crazy dictator, but most of you would like me. ;)

10. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    March him from the jail naked wearing clown make up and a sign that says "I am a big prick with a little prick"

No one should live in fear of the truth, or because he tells the truth.