Denison was site of German POW camp

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Newcomers to this area and sometimes those who have been around a few years often are surprised that a German POW Camp was located just beyond the present spillway area of the dam at the end of World War II. The camp was built to house 150 prisoners.

Evelyn, who now is deceased, worked in the Corp of Engineers office for many years. She told me a story a number of years ago about a visit to the camp in 1946. Her remembrance won first place in a Herald sponsored essay contest, “I Remember When.”

At the time that she visited the camp, there were only 35 to 40 prisoners remaining and they were waiting for final orders to return home. She and a friend were invited by military personnel to be guests at a delicious dinner in the camp that was prepared by the prisoners. One thing that she especially remembered on the menu was chocolate pie — a treat since sugar, chocolate and butter had long been on the food shortage list.

Army Capt. David Bates was responsible for this detachment in the Denison area. He was a World War I veteran who had been recalled with the rank of captain and later worked at the Citizens National Bank here.

The compound didn’t attract much attention except for the high wire compound, according to Evelyn’s essay. After the tour, she said she delved a little deeper into the history of the camp by reading files and talking with civilian crew foremen.

The German prisoners, about 10 percent of whom spoke English, were brought to the camp for a planned three years in 1945. This particular group had been held in the Central Camp Howze Prisoner Compound in Gainesville, then was a part of the Tishomingo, Oklahoma, work group. Prisoners from camps at Powell and near Tishomingo had worked earlier during the building of the Denison Dam.

The compound here included wooden barracks much like those that housed U.S. servicemen. A high fence surrounded the area and guard towers were placed in four locations as precautions. The men were from varied walks of life and many were trained tradesmen.
DONNA HUNT: Denison was site of German POW camp

I had no idea that was down there in Denison. I wonder if they have any museums.

Newcomers to this area and sometimes those who have been around a few years often are surprised that a German POW Camp was located just beyond the present spillway area of the dam at the end of World War II. The camp was built to house 150 prisoners.

Evelyn, who now is deceased, worked in the Corp of Engineers office for many years. She told me a story a number of years ago about a visit to the camp in 1946. Her remembrance won first place in a Herald sponsored essay contest, “I Remember When.”

At the time that she visited the camp, there were only 35 to 40 prisoners remaining and they were waiting for final orders to return home. She and a friend were invited by military personnel to be guests at a delicious dinner in the camp that was prepared by the prisoners. One thing that she especially remembered on the menu was chocolate pie — a treat since sugar, chocolate and butter had long been on the food shortage list.

Army Capt. David Bates was responsible for this detachment in the Denison area. He was a World War I veteran who had been recalled with the rank of captain and later worked at the Citizens National Bank here.

The compound didn’t attract much attention except for the high wire compound, according to Evelyn’s essay. After the tour, she said she delved a little deeper into the history of the camp by reading files and talking with civilian crew foremen.

The German prisoners, about 10 percent of whom spoke English, were brought to the camp for a planned three years in 1945. This particular group had been held in the Central Camp Howze Prisoner Compound in Gainesville, then was a part of the Tishomingo, Oklahoma, work group. Prisoners from camps at Powell and near Tishomingo had worked earlier during the building of the Denison Dam.

The compound here included wooden barracks much like those that housed U.S. servicemen. A high fence surrounded the area and guard towers were placed in four locations as precautions. The men were from varied walks of life and many were trained tradesmen.

I had no idea that was down there in Denison. I wonder if they have any museums.

I'm wondering about the term "German POW camp".

It could go both ways. It could be a camp for "German POWs" or it could be a camp run by the Germans.

Strange.

I'm wondering about the term "German POW camp".

It could go both ways. It could be a camp for "German POWs" or it could be a camp run by the Germans.

Strange.
German-American citizens were held as well.
German Internees

The POW camp in Chireno is famous still in East Texas.

The prisoners were soon well accepted by the small community and apparently had pretty much the run of the town.

The POW camp in Chireno is famous still in East Texas.

The prisoners were soon well accepted by the small community and apparently had pretty much the run of the town.

In England one German POW ended up playing in goal for Manchester City after the war. He even got an OBE from the Queen. Might be the only person ever to have won an Iron Cross and an OBE.

Bert Trautmann - Wikipedia

That is all that is left.

See if you can find a copy of this out of print book. Archie P. McDonald was a very good friend of mine.

417S5baxAnL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

There were several in Texas. Some were 'rented' out to farmers away from the camps. Only Nazi Party members and those suspected of atrocities and/or criminal tendencies were forced to stay in the barrack yards 24/7.

Forum List

Back