deniers aren't going to like this

OK --- Concentrate !!!!

Need the OP guy who lobbed this grenade to resolve the diff between "RAPIDLY DESTABILIZING" and the actual text of the article..

It is not clear if that is happening yet, but that methane gas would have the potential to rise up through the ocean and into the atmosphere, where it would add to the greenhouse gases warming Earth.

The 2.5 gigatonnes isn't enough to trigger a sudden climate shift, ......................

Also --- I need a MOTIVATION for "rapidly destabilizing" that I can panic on.. Does a 1degC rise in temperature over my lifetime translate to enough warmth to penetrate several thousand feet into the seabed and unfreeze these frozen gases??

And how does that 1degC over my lifetime compare to the 6 or 8degC we've had NATURALLY occuring since the end of the last ice age?

C'mon -- I want to be a Chicken Little too ----- help me out here...

Doesn't mean it's the same reason. Both Reagan and Kennedy are dead. You going to ask, who killed Reagan?
In science, it's called a "control", idjit.

Mars isn't a control for Earth. The underlying conditions aren't the same. You obviously don't have a clue, proving once again that the denier side is all about the politics with the science being mere window dressing, that changes to suit the needs of the moment.

Isn't Mars icecaps made mostly of CO2?

And astrologers killed Reagan.

Why Thank-You DotCom.. Good science, good link and I did learn something.

I learned that even Scientific American can create ambiguous and misleading article titles that tend to "juice" a story towards the AGW hysteria..

Because I was thinking I was gonna hear about how the Gulf Stream had shifted because methane gas was being released. Instead I found an interesting article about how the methane MIGHT be released ---- NOT BECAUSE of Global Warming and CO2 ---- but because the Gulf Stream itself had shifted..

Gulf Stream Shift Linked to Methane Gas Escaping from Seabeds: Scientific American

Using seismic data collected in 1977 to model where they expected the frozen methane to become gaseous in the western North Atlantic margin, they found that the observed interface between the frozen solid and the free gas was much deeper than predicted. After systematically checking every detail, the team ruled out several factors that could have explained their observations — including sea-level changes, increased sedimentation rates or decreased heat flow through the sediments. They eventually realized that the only thing that could cause the discrepancy was that the water was cooler in the past. Phrampus ran the model again using data from much cooler waters 100 kilometers northwest of the Gulf Stream, and got an almost perfect fit.

Whether that methane would make it to the atmosphere and worsen global warming is unclear, but scientists think that it is unlikely. “We don’t need to worry about any huge blow of methane into the atmosphere,” says Carolyn Ruppel, a geophysicist at the US Geological Survey in Woods Hole, Massachusetts. Rather, she says, Hornbach and his co-author Benjamin Phrampus, also of the Southern Methodist University, have uncovered a powerful new way to use data from the geological record to catch non-anthropogenic climate changes that are already happening.

Great science dude... Waaaay wrong conclusion...

I'm not following you down that garden path that you inferred :nono: BTW- you trying to knock Frank & Oddball off of their pedestal as deniers-in-chief? :eusa_think:

Dude --- you just posted confirmation of the fact that potential Methane release under the Gulf Stream is NOT due to the 1degC rise in Global Warming as you inferred. But instead is due to a shift in the LOCATION of the Gulf Stream..

Can't lead hysteric warmers to knowledge can ya?? Or make them better posters..:D

AGW Cult denying a 600,000 year data set showing CO2 lagging tempoerature

That's denial!

Ho-hum, the actual scientists who first reported on this also stated that the process started 8,000 years ago and had been going on since then. Seems to me after 8,000 years there would be an effect.

But, as is true with ALL alarmist clap trap, the reality is there is nothing to worry about. Those "scientists" are merely trying to panic the savages with yet another catastrophe to squeeze more money out of them.

Forum List

Back