Dems Using Tax Money To Silence Conservative Radio

I wouldn't have expected you to understand why my very first post in this thread has more fortitude than the entire paternal side of the last 10 generations of your family. Looks like RSR saw where I was going with that line of logic. Maybe if you get your geography quiz out of the way early this morning you can participate too.

It's 3:30 in the afternoon here you fucking thick bastard:D :D :D

Talk about geography:D :D way too easy.

Do you give up yet?Numpty, do you?:D

It's 3:30 in the afternoon here you fucking thick bastard:D :D :D

Talk about geography:D :D way too easy.

Do you give up yet?Numpty, do you?:D

give up?

OH! were you trying to keep up with me or something?

HA! how cute!

numpty? is that some sort of gay british slang for "Master"?

Just so you know... none of your flirting will land you a date with me. Just keep that in mind so I don't have to break your heart later on.

give up?

OH! were you trying to keep up with me or something?

HA! how cute!

numpty? is that some sort of gay british slang for "Master"?

Just so you know... none of your flirting will land you a date with me. Just keep that in mind so I don't have to break your heart later on.

You use the gay slur a lot don't you Shogatha? I think you doth protest too much lovey:D

You use the gay slur a lot don't you Shogatha? I think you doth protest too much lovey:D

Calling it how I see it, pooky. I assure you, it's not true that everyone who sees you reaching out from the closet is themselves gay. This may be the last thing you've been telling yourself before making a drastic lifestyle change but...

Calling it how I see it, pooky. I assure you, it's not true that everyone who sees you reaching out from the closet is themselves gay. This may be the last thing you've been telling yourself before making a drastic lifestyle change but...

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it sweetums:D

Back to the topic at hand - how can Dems make a case they are the only ones who can decide what is acceptable and what is not when it comes to political speech?

Probably exactly the same way that the right uses to complain about fair consideration on PBS.

Why is it OK to insist upon letting the right have FAIR consideration in public television and not radio? Do the companies that signs Rush's check own the radio waves they use or do they get licensed to use them?

Seems like this is one of those things that are fallout from losing congress in the 06 election. Isn't that what we heard when bush won in 04 and there was nothing the dems could do about the trajectory of his platform?

Probably exactly the same way that the right uses to complain about fair consideration on PBS.

Why is it OK to insist upon letting the right have FAIR consideration in public television and not radio? Do the companies that signs Rush's check own the radio waves they use or do they get licensed to use them?

Seems like this is one of those things that are fallout from losing congress in the 06 election. Isn't that what we heard when bush won in 04 and there was nothing the dems could do about the trajectory of his platform?

The only problem I have with PBS is why is tax money being used to finance it? With over 500 cable channels, only government money can provide the programming PBS offers?

The only reason the libs are pissed is they can't compete with conservatives. People choose NOT to listen to liberal radio shows. The same way people choose to watch Fox News over CNN and MSNBC

Libs can't compete so they now they want to change to rules and FORCE people to listen to them

The only problem I have with PBS is why is tax money being used to finance it? With over 500 cable channels, only government money can provide the programming PBS offers?

The only reason the libs are pissed is they can't compete with conservatives. People choose NOT to listen to liberal radio shows. The same way people choose to watch Fox News over CNN and MSNBC

Libs can't compete so they now they want to change to rules and FORCE people to listen to them

When doling out licenses for airwaves are not private property it's not about competition. Are libs going to issue a radio midget for very vehicle to make sure the driver puts in equal time? no. NO one is FORCING anyone to do anything. I think you are jumping the shark in order to ignore the fact that the airwaves are not private property and, thus, are not treated as such. Even when the very idea of fairness in radio chaffes conservatives. CAble can handle thousands of channels because it doesn't rely on a finite resource to broadcast. Again, it's why I can't use my FM transmitter for my very own FM radio station legally.

When doling out licenses for airwaves are not private property it's not about competition. Are libs going to issue a radio midget for very vehicle to make sure the driver puts in equal time? no. NO one is FORCING anyone to do anything. I think you are jumping the shark in order to ignore the fact that the airwaves are not private property and, thus, are not treated as such. Even when the very idea of fairness in radio chaffes conservatives. CAble can handle thousands of channels because it doesn't rely on a finite resource to broadcast. Again, it's why I can't use my FM transmitter for my very own FM radio station legally.

So you want government to decide what is on the airwaves? Shogun, the airwaves is a business. When people listen to Rush, Sean, and other conservative hosts -they make alot of money for the station and the sponsors of the show

If government takes over - it will kill not only the radio industry but also the business of the sponsors

If libs could compete - there would not be an issue here. Everytime libs try a new host or netowrk it goes belly up

If you want to start your own radio show then do it. See if there is a market for the Shogun radio show

No, the AIRWAVES are not a business. Radio is a business. The AIRWAVES are a finite resouces that is the vector by which RADIO is broadcast. This is why I asked you who OWNED the airwaves.

Are you telling me that an elected government does NOT have the prerogative to move their agenda based on the ELECTIONS that put them into office? You had your turn and now it's their turn since 06 didn't work out so well for your side. It's not as if the government is installing midgets under your car hood to record and dictate who you listen to. Seems as though I recall hearing about mandates and republican prerogatives back when the fillibuster and supreme court justices were on the table.... SURELY turnabout is fairplay?

especially since AIRWAVES are not private property...

and gimme a break, dude.. radio will not cease to matter if rush isnt on the air. But, for the sake of exageration let's give rush a Cherry Tree story like Washinton's too.

and NO, it is a fact that I cannot simply start my own radio station for the same reasons as I've already stated: Finite Radio Frequencies. If I start up my transmitter I get shut right the hell down by the FCC. Is that fostering competition in radio? NO. Is that an issue for the right as long as their heroes get free reign? NO.

Read about how draconian it is to get an FCC Radio Broadcast Lisence. It's simply not an option and totally blows out the whole concept of competition in Radio as an excuse for ignoring fairness in radio. It's about as far from capitolist as it comes.

No, the AIRWAVES are not a business. Radio is a business. The AIRWAVES are a finite resouces that is the vector by which RADIO is broadcast. This is why I asked you who OWNED the airwaves.

Are you telling me that an elected government does NOT have the prerogative to move their agenda based on the ELECTIONS that put them into office? You had your turn and now it's their turn since 06 didn't work out so well for your side. It's not as if the government is installing midgets under your car hood to record and dictate who you listen to. Seems as though I recall hearing about mandates and republican prerogatives back when the fillibuster and supreme court justices were on the table.... SURELY turnabout is fairplay?

especially since AIRWAVES are not private property...

and gimme a break, dude.. radio will not cease to matter if rush isnt on the air. But, for the sake of exageration let's give rush a Cherry Tree story like Washinton's too.

Shogun, radio and cable is all about ratings. Conservatives get the ratings and liberals do not. Liberals loose money for the stations and the sponsors

If libs get their way, all we will get is their side and nobody will listen

THEN, the left will turn their eyes to the internet. They will try and silence conservative voices here as well

The government has no right or business to decide what speech is acceptable. To them free speech only applies to liberal free speech

Shogun, radio and cable is all about ratings. Conservatives get the ratings and liberals do not. Liberals loose money for the stations and the sponsors
If libs get their way, all we will get is their side and nobody will listen
THEN, the left will turn their eyes to the internet. They will try and silence conservative voices here as well
The government has no right or business to decide what speech is acceptable. To them free speech only applies to liberal free speech

Ratings are important to the RADIO BUSINESS but not in regards to who qualifies for a broadcasting lisense given the LIMITED range of braodcast bands. I'm having to repeat this again and again. Take a few days and read up on how to get a lisence to broadcast. I don't even think there IS an application process right now. Indeed, let's talk about the tennants of capitolism in business after you find out how rare these things are.

And, even if your doomsday scenario DOES happen do you REALLY think people will just STOP listening to the radio? that's not how capitolism explains it, eh? Do you think Rush WONT go strait to the internet? STRAIT to cable? Both of which are not limited by a finite RADIO BAND?

No one is trying to silence you. No one is trying to force you to listen to al franken instead of sean hannity. Insisting on such diminishes your arguement. This is not about free speech. Again, if RUSH goes to the internet where there is no limitations then who is going to try and chase him down? NO ONE. This is about fairly distributing a resource that is NOT private property liek you seem to think it is. Hell, dude.. if what you say is true then why hasn't he been raked through the coals like Ginsberg who merely wrote a poem? The logic does not compute.

EXHIBIT #1

How to Apply for a Broadcast Station

Introduction

In the following sections, we provide some basic information about radio and television stations and the related application processes.

Heavy Demand for New Broadcast Stations. Potential applicants for radio and television services should be aware that frequencies for these services are always in heavy demand. For example, the Commission received approximately 30,000 inquiries from persons seeking to start radio broadcast stations last year. When application filing window periods open for new stations, many competing applications are filed. Therefore, you should be aware at the outset that the filing of an application does not guarantee that you will receive a broadcast station construction permit. You should also be aware that in many areas of the country, no frequencies may be available on which a new station could commence operating without causing interference to existing stations, in violation of FCC rules. For that reason, we do not recommend that you purchase any equipment before receiving a construction permit from the FCC.

Expansion of the AM or FM radio bands is unlikely to occur in the near future. The FM band is constrained from expanding above 107.9 MHz by the presence of aeronautical operations on 108 MHz to 136 MHz, and is also prevented from expanding below 88.1 MHz by Channel 6 television operations on 82.0 through 88.0 MHz. The AM band was recently expanded from 1600 to 1700 kHz after years of international negotiations, however those frequencies are reserved for existing stations which were causing significant interference in the lower part of the band.

Unlicensed Operation Is Prohibited. A very common question asked to the FCC is whether broadcasting at very low power requires a license. Please be aware that unlicensed operation of radio broadcast stations is prohibited, even at such low powers such as 1 watt or less. The only unlicensed operation that is permitted on the AM and FM broadcast bands is covered under Part 15 of the FCC's rules, and is limited to a coverage radius of approximately 200 feet. (See the Commission's July 24, 1991 Public Notice.) Unlicensed operation is not permitted in the television bands (including 87.9 MHz, which falls within the 82.0 to 88.0 Channel 6 television band). Fines and/or criminal prosecution may result from illegal operation of an unlicensed station (see recent enforcement actions).

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/howtoapply.html

Forum List

Back