Dems say Get some "color" in your campaign Kerry...

insein

Apr 10, 2004
Philadelphia, Amazing huh...
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=sto...0429/ap_on_el_pr/kerry_minorities_1&printer=1

Kerry Draws Fire Over Lack of Minorities
Thu Apr 29, 2:55 AM ET

By GENARO C. ARMAS, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - A lack of minority representation at the upper levels of John Kerry (news - web sites)'s presidential campaign threatens to weaken enthusiasm among black and Hispanic voters, two core constituencies, some Democrats and advocacy groups say.

Kerry's inner circle — the dozen or so advisers who participate in the campaign's most important decisions — is mostly white.

Senior political adviser Paul Rivera said a core group of seven high-ranking staffers participate in a daily, morning conference call to talk strategy and make key decisions. The group includes campaign manager Mary Beth Cahill; deputy campaign managers Steve Elmendorf and Marcus Jardotte; communications director Stephanie Cutter; general election strategist Jill Alper; and senior advisers Art Collins and Rivera. Jardotte and Collins are black; Rivera is Hispanic.

Campaign officials say media consultants, pollsters and other top aides are often on the call, including chief speechwriter Bob Shrum, and Tad Devine, an architect of Kerry's general election planning.

Shrum and Devine are white, as is John Marttila, a longtime Kerry ally from Massachusetts who spent a lot of time at campaign headquarters during the Iowa and New Hampshire races and is considered part of the brain trust.

Some black officials and independent analysts expressed concerned about the campaign's lack of racial diversity. Campaign officials and the leader of the Congressional Black Caucus (news - web sites) said the criticism was unfounded.

"I am concerned about diversity, but more importantly I am concerned about the experience in that diversity — senior policy people who know people from one end of the country to the other," said Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr., D-Ill., a caucus member.

He said the issue may dampen voter enthusiasm. "The senator should remedy this very quickly," Jackson said.

Added Ron Walters, who worked on the presidential campaigns of Jesse Jackson Sr. and runs the African-American Leadership Institute at the University of Maryland: "There is a sense that Kerry's people don't get it."

Campaign officials dispute the criticism, saying too much of the focus has been on the influence of Shrum, Devine and other consultants.

"It really is odd to read any suggestion that a national campaign is being run by the media consultants and the pollsters and excluding the other folks," Jardotte said while traveling to Philadelphia, where Kerry was addressing the National Conference of Black Mayors convention on Thursday.

Not because they care for the Minorities or that they would want to help out the Democratic cause due to their blind allegiance for years. More because it looks bad to have all white leadership in your Campaign. It might alienate the black voters.

Again, who is the racist party?

I have always felt that canidates should have whomever they wish working for them. J.J. should but his big nose out. I also feel the Democrats use the black vote as well. What exactly do they do for the black race that is so wonderful?

Originally posted by krisy
I have always felt that canidates should have whomever they wish working for them. J.J. should but his big nose out. I also feel the Democrats use the black vote as well. What exactly do they do for the black race that is so wonderful?

Well they get low income black families addicted to welfare and then convince them that they can't live without it. they then tell these people that the Republicans want to do away with welfare and therefore they are racist. Nevermind the fact that we simply feel that people should be responsible for their own actions.

Are you kidding me? The black vote is still going to go 85-90% Dem, only because it has become a habit for the black leaders to ignore which party would improve everyone's standard of living, and implore everyone to vote Dem instead. Kerry could crap on Kwasi Mfume's desk and still get his endorsement.

True.

Unfortunately, we whites are almost as easily bought. Republicans could, oh, I don't know... offer amnesty to millions of illegal Hispanics, appoint blacks to top cabinet positions, and take a wishy-washy position on the Michigan case...

and STILL get most of the white vote.

Time to demand accountability, white people. Which politicians are looking out for YOUR interests?

Originally posted by William Joyce
True.

Unfortunately, we whites are almost as easily bought. Republicans could, oh, I don't know... offer amnesty to millions of illegal Hispanics, appoint blacks to top cabinet positions, and take a wishy-washy position on the Michigan case...

and STILL get most of the white vote.

Time to demand accountability, white people. Which politicians are looking out for YOUR interests?

See white people as a whole are divided. A majority vote for Republicans but that majority is like 55 to 60%. To say we are as brainwashed as blacks are with 90% of their population vote Democrat is foolish.

Forum List

Back