Dems Registering the Dead?

Jackson

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010
Nashville
Romney camp asks Va. to probe voter forms

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney's campaign is asking Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli to launch an investigation into voter-registration forms that are being sent to Virginia residents and addressed to deceased relatives, children, family pets and others ineligible to vote.

The errant mailings from the Washington-based nonprofit group Voter Participation Center have befuddled many Virginia residents, leading to hundreds of complaints.

The organization has been mass-mailing the forms — pre-populated with key information such as names and addresses — to primarily Democratic-leaning voting blocs such as young adults, unmarried women, African-Americans and Latinos.

In a letter to Cuccinelli's office and the State Board of Elections, Kathryn Bieber, an attorney for the Romney campaign, calls for an investigation into the matter by law-enforcement officials, claiming that the mailings appear to violate "at least one and maybe several Virginia laws aimed at ensuring a fair election."

Bieber refers to the mailings as "tactics that amount to, or at the very least induce, voter registration fraud," and says the issue "presents a very significant risk to the proper administration of the upcoming general election."

UPDATE: Romney camp asks Va. to probe voter forms | Richmond Times-Dispatch

Why are these going to primarily Democratic-leaning voting blocs such as young adults, unmarried women, African-Americans and Latinos?

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney's campaign is asking Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli to launch an investigation into voter-registration forms that are being sent to Virginia residents and addressed to deceased relatives, children, family pets and others ineligible to vote.

The errant mailings from the Washington-based nonprofit group Voter Participation Center have befuddled many Virginia residents, leading to hundreds of complaints.

The organization has been mass-mailing the forms — pre-populated with key information such as names and addresses — to primarily Democratic-leaning voting blocs such as young adults, unmarried women, African-Americans and Latinos.

In a letter to Cuccinelli's office and the State Board of Elections, Kathryn Bieber, an attorney for the Romney campaign, calls for an investigation into the matter by law-enforcement officials, claiming that the mailings appear to violate "at least one and maybe several Virginia laws aimed at ensuring a fair election."

Bieber refers to the mailings as "tactics that amount to, or at the very least induce, voter registration fraud," and says the issue "presents a very significant risk to the proper administration of the upcoming general election."

Why are these going to primarily Democratic-leaning voting blocs such as young adults, unmarried women, African-Americans and Latinos?

What is supposed to be the gain in all this? Why would forms be sent to the residence of a dead person? Is the dead person expected to respond? His relatives perhaps?

Nobody is that stupid. If you want to register a dead person you have to do it yourself. I have yet to see a pet that responded with a filled out registration form.

Another really really stupid story. I am beginning to suspect that no one in the entire country knows how registration and voting work.

What is supposed to be the gain in all this? Why would forms be sent to the residence of a dead person? Is the dead person expected to respond? His relatives perhaps?

Nobody is that stupid. If you want to register a dead person you have to do it yourself. I have yet to see a pet that responded with a filled out registration form.

Another really really stupid story. I am beginning to suspect that no one in the entire country knows how registration and voting work.

You mean like the claim that requiring ID to vote disenfranchises people? Like that?

So why does the left and Holder have problems with purging the rolls...especially dead people?

There is a very simple explanation for how this shit happens.

One week after I moved across the country, I received a mailer from a veterinarian in the town I just moved to, addressed to a relative who had died five years previously. At my new address.

They knew exactly what kind of dog was under my new roof, but did not know my relative was dead.

So I called them and told them they had mailed something to a dead relative who I most assuredly did not move across country with me.

They were very apologetic and explained they got their data from a national company which provides such information to businesses and organizations for mass mailings.

This works in reverse, too. A vet that subscribes to such a company provides that company with all kinds of personal data about you. For example, what kind of dog you have. So when you move, that data moves with you and a vet in your new town who also subscribes gets that info automatically sent to them before you get there!!!

Creepy, no?

So I wheedled the name of this company out of the vet while they were feeling so bad and then called that company.

Turns out when you fill out a change of address form at the United States Postal Service, they immediately sell your name and new address to a boatload of such companies.

Since the Post Office had never been informed of the death in the household, they added everyone's name at our old address to the list of names they sold as moving to the new address.

Who knew you had to tell the Post Office when someone dies? Who thinks of that crap?

So a dead person getting a voter registration form? Not surprising in the least. Dead people get mail for years after they die. Everyone knows that.

Modern technology's dark side.

Last edited:
If a dead person wants to go to the polls and vote, far be it from me to try and stop them.
The constitution makes no mention about the dead not being able to vote.

One week after I moved across the country, I received a mailer from a veterinarian in the town I just move to, addressed to a relative who had died five years previously. At my new address.

They knew exactly what kind of dog I had, but did not know my relative was dead.

So I called them and told them they had mailed something to a dead relative who I most assuredly did not move across country with me.

They were very apologetic and explained they got their data from a national company which provides such information to businesses and organizations for mass mailings.

So I wheedled the name of this company out of the vet while they were feeling so bad and then called that company.

Turns out when you fill out a change of address form at the United States Postal Service, they immediately sell your name and new address to a boatload of such companies.

Since the Post Office had never been informed of the death in the household, they added everyone's name to the list of names they sold.

Who knew you had to tell the Post Office when someone dies? Who thinks of that crap?

So a dead person getting a voter registration form? Not surprising in the least. Dead people get mail for years after they die. Everyone knows that.

Modern technology's dark side.

Very true.

At one of my former addresses, I was getting voter registration forms for my brother, who had lived there briefly about 10 years before-hand before moving out-of-state.

Apparently, the voter registration people aren't very pro-active.

Why is this OK?? Why doesn't the SOS do something? They, after all, are responsible for the voter registrations, in Georgia anyway. Doesn't a death certificate filed in the state tell them the voter died?? Come on, this is no excuse.

Why is this OK?? Why doesn't the SOS do something? They, after all, are responsible for the voter registrations, in Georgia anyway. Doesn't a death certificate filed in the state tell them the voter died?? Come on, this is no excuse.

It's not OK, and it should be dealt with.

It's just not proof of some conspiracy to commit voter fraud, or proof of any intent to commit such fraud on a micro level.

Which was the implication of the OP.

The organization that sent out the forms is a non-profit which most likely gots its mailing list from a mass mailing corporation. Or they used their donor list that goes back a few years.

So let's say some guy gets a voter registration application for grandma. Grandma donated ten bucks to the non-profit last year, then up and died. Grandson decides to get his fraud on and fills it out.

When that registration application arrives at the state registrar's office, then the registrar should catch it if they are properly maintaining their database. The state should have a legislative requirement to be informed directly when someone dies in the state of Georgia. If they don't, they should.

Last edited:

{sigh}

And the COMPLETED forms will be sent to the Registrar who had, up until the point they receive the COMPLETED forms, nothing to do with this mailing.

This organization sent out forms to anyone who completed a change of address.

What do people do when a loved one, who lived alone, dies? They put in a change of address for their mail.

{sigh}

And the COMPLETED forms will be sent to the Registrar who had, up until the point they receive the COMPLETED forms, nothing to do with this mailing.

Exactly.

My guess is that the non-profit used their donor list. You want people who believe in your cause to register to vote, because they will vote on issues in alignment with your organization's beliefs. So using a donor list is the perfect means to achieve that.

If some donors have died since donating to your org, there is no way of knowing that.

As you said, that should be caught when the completed forms are sent to the state.

{sigh}

Exactly.

My guess is that the non-profit used their donor list. You want people who believe in your cause to register to vote, because they will vote on issues in alignment with your organization's beliefs. So using a donor list is the perfect means to achieve that.

If some donors have died since donating to your org, there is no way of knowing that.

As you said, that should be caught when the completed forms are sent to the state.

It would have had to have been a hell of a donor list. My office has been getting TONS of these forms since early June.

Forum List

Back