Dems offing selves: Suicide on DU

Nuc said:
I've got a buddy who literally listens to right wing propaganda on the radio all day long. Limbaugh, Coulter etc. He gets wound up by the constant haranguing, then he gets depressed and yells at his wife and kids. His wife wishes he'd stop listening to that anger provoking crap.
Yes, like the Oklahoma City bombing was Limbaugh's fault (remember that?) and Clinton's problems in the White House were due to a "vast right wing conspiracy", and what about all those Libs that got themselves into therapy because Bush won the election last year.... and..... well, I could go on all day with the doozies that the Left has come up with and gullible everyday Joes and Janes believe.

You know, it must really stink to have emotionally invested yourself and your entire life in working and believing in something that turns out to be an utter and total falsehood. It means that your whole life up to this point has been a total and complete failure and a waste of time. I guess it's very hard to deal with and many people deal with it by lashing out at the opposition. That is exactly what is happening with the Left. They have been proven wrong on almost all points

My uncle is my barber and he gets all bent out of shape over Bush (he hates him, but just adores Ted Kennedy.... I think it's because he's JFK's younger brother and thinks that Ted is like JFK).... he once started yelling at me about 9/11, saying that "we had it coming to us".... I told him that I couldn't disagree with him more, but you know, I had to show some respect and didn't pull out the stops.... it was definitely an exercise in biting one's tongue.

And of course, the Katrina fiasco was due to Bush having too many troops in Iraq.... blah, blah, blah

I shake my head, the Left Wing Lie Machine has gotten to him, too.

KarlMarx said:
Yes, like the Oklahoma City bombing was Limbaugh's fault (remember that?) and Clinton's problems in the White House were due to a "vast right wing conspiracy", and what about all those Libs that got themselves into therapy because Bush won the election last year.... and..... well, I could go on all day with the doozies that the Left has come up with and gullible everyday Joes and Janes believe.

My uncle is my barber and he gets all bent out of shape over Bush (he hates him, but just adores Ted Kennedy.... I think it's because he's JFK's younger brother and thinks that Ted is like JFK).... he once started yelling at me about 9/11, saying that "we had it coming to us".... I told him that I couldn't disagree with him more, but you know, I had to show some respect and didn't pull out the stops.... it was definitely an exercise in biting one's tongue.

And of course, the Katrina fiasco was due to Bush having too many troops in Iraq.... blah, blah, blah

I shake my head, the Left Wing Lie Machine has gotten to him, too.

Your story and my story are both equally valid as anecdotal evidence that anger/depression can stem from any part of the political spectrum. Which refutes Avngrs original point that "lefty"-ness is the cause of depression.

Nuc said:
I've got a buddy who literally listens to right wing propaganda on the radio all day long. Limbaugh, Coulter etc. He gets wound up by the constant haranguing, then he gets depressed and yells at his wife and kids. His wife wishes he'd stop listening to that anger provoking crap.

Yeah. And I think Oprah, Doctor Phil, and Guiding Light cause women to get a big ass.

" Whether or not a teenager decides to kill themselves is the biggest decision of their life" --Counselor, Heathers, 1989

heathers.jpg

Nuc said:
Your story and my story are both equally valid as anecdotal evidence that anger/depression can stem from any part of the political spectrum. Which refutes Avngrs original point that "lefty"-ness is the cause of depression.

You just want to argue. :poke: I can see RWA's point. However, I would replace "lefty-ness: with "extremism" myself.

At the same time, the left appears to have cornered the market when it comes to political extremism. That is not saying it doesn't exist on the right, just that It is far more prevalent on the left.

A perfect example would be the antichrist, Cindy Sheehan. US troops are occupying New Orleans? I mean, come on ...... where does one come up with insanity like that?

And while it may sound callous, on the occasion that a person threatened suicide to me, I gave instructions on how to do it so the people left behind didn't have a big mess to clean up. Buying their bullshit just makes one the enabler for continuance of the behavior.

GunnyL said:
You just want to argue. :poke: I can see RWA's point. However, I would replace "lefty-ness: with "extremism" myself.

At the same time, the left appears to have cornered the market when it comes to political extremism. That is not saying it doesn't exist on the right, just that It is far more prevalent on the left.

A perfect example would be the antichrist, Cindy Sheehan. US troops are occupying New Orleans? I mean, come on ...... where does one come up with insanity like that?

And while it may sound callous, on the occasion that a person threatened suicide to me, I gave instructions on how to do it so the people left behind didn't have a big mess to clean up. Buying their bullshit just makes one the enabler for continuance of the behavior.

Very well reasoned, Gunny.

I have to say though, libs really are the most morose bunch of people I've encountered. It's always doom and gloom with them. On another board I check out, after it was clear that Rita wasn't going to be the mess that Katrina was, the dems kept saying how they just knew we would find dead bodies everywhere when all was said and done with Rita too. When faced with a silver lining, they blot it out with a black magic marker, and swear it doesn't exist.

You guys are attributing far too much to peoples political beliefs. Health people don't obsess on those things. Unless you're a professional (politician, pundit, journalist, etc.) there's no point in getting so wound up by this stuff.

Nuc said:
You guys are attributing far too much to peoples political beliefs. Health people don't obsess on those things. Unless you're a professional (politician, pundit, journalist, etc.) there's no point in getting so wound up by this stuff.

You could be right, Nuc; it could be a juxtaposition of cause and effect. Perhaps people with morose tendencies are drawn to the Democratic party for reasons that haven't yet been studied. It could even be as simple as the old "misery loves company" chestnut.

Abbey Normal said:
Very well reasoned, Gunny.

I have to say though, libs really are the most morose bunch of people I've encountered. It's always doom and gloom with them. On another board I check out, after it was clear that Rita wasn't going to be the mess that Katrina was, the dems kept saying how they just knew we would find dead bodies everywhere when all was said and done with Rita too. When faced with a silver lining, they blot it out with a black magic marker, and swear it doesn't exist.

I agree, and it is there own undoing. The only ones who can't see it are them. They don't stand for anything positive. They stand for being against anything the right is for; which, means they stand for nothing.

I can see where keeping oneself immersed in illogical negativity to screw up one's mind.

And yeah, they were disappointed with Rita. Blanco and Nagin most of all. They needed a bigger disaster to take the heat off of them. Unfortunately for them, creating such a fiasco-topper would take some doing.

Nuc said:

Exactly. Abnormal fixations leading to suicidal thoughts are not political, they're mental.

GunnyL said:
I agree, and it is there own undoing. The only ones who can't see it are them. They don't stand for anything positive. They stand for being against anything the right is for; which, means they stand for nothing.

This is prevelant on both sides.

Said1 said:
Exactly. Abnormal fixations leading to suicidal thoughts are not political, they're mental.

Now we're onto something, mental health is mental in origin. Maybe we should patent this idea or write a book or something.
:beer:

Said1 said:
This is prevelant on both sides.

Interesting. Howso?

I do not see the hate-filled, lying accusations on the right that I do on the left. And again, not that it doesn't exist on the right, just that it isn't driving the train; whereas, it is on the left.

Conservatives stand FOR something. The left stands for destroying whatever it is conservatives stand for.

There is where I see the difference.

Nuc said:
Now we're onto something, mental health is mental in origin. Maybe we should patent this idea or write a book or something.
:beer:

Of course it is mental. However, you cannot argue that environment plays a key role in the mind's reaction. If you're have a weakness for abusing drugs and are trying your best to straighten yourself out, you don't get a job as a pharmacist.

GunnyL said:
Interesting. Howso?

I do not see the hate-filled, lying accusations on the right that I do on the left. And again, not that it doesn't exist on the right, just that it isn't driving the train; whereas, it is on the left.

Conservatives stand FOR something. The left stands for destroying whatever it is conservatives stand for.

There is where I see the difference.

Regardless, the same bizzare fixations are apparent, one may seem more rational to you, but it doesn't make it any less abnormal. And certain people on the right do have motives in destorying anything remotely leftist sounding, to the point of obsession.

GunnyL said:
Of course it is mental. However, you cannot argue that environment plays a key role in the mind's reaction. If you're have a weakness for abusing drugs and are trying your best to straighten yourself out, you don't get a job as a pharmacist.

I'm not making the connection there.

GunnyL said:
Connection ...

A depressed person hanging out on a message board that preaches nothing but depressing garbage. The environment feeds the destructive behavior.

But you said you can't aruge the connection, which I wasn't. People also hang out on messageboards and trash liberals all day, agreeing with their veiws doesn't make it any lessa abnormal.

Political groups seek to altar public action at the voting booth or otherwise by getting a message through to people. This is message is evaluated and absorbed and believed by varying degrees depending on the indivual's intelligence, previous knowledge, etc. I'm saying anying who bought hook like and sinker the dem message would believe he was living in situation as dire as Nazi Germany, and may have emotions commensurate with that belief.

Said1 said:
Regardless, the same bizzare fixations are apparent, one may seem more rational to you, but it doesn't make it any less abnormal. And certain people on the right do have motives in destorying anything remotely leftist sounding, to the point of obsession.

You missed my disclaimer. :laugh:

The people exist on the right. Just not at the percentage it does on the left, IMO.

There is NOTHING dumber to me than an abortion clinic bomber. Commit murder to protest murder?

Liberalism itself is not negative, and I do not mean to imply that it is. Our society has made liberalism in the US negative because they let the extremists drive the train.

Forum List

Back