Dems Move To Ban 'Occupy' From 2012 Convention...

Here we have, once more, the confusion of the words "Democrat" and "Republican" with the words "liberal" and "conservative." They are not identical. The first pair refers to political parties. The second pair refers to ideologies.

To say that Occupy is non-partisan is not to say that it is non-ideological, nor to deny that it is left-of-center (or center-left, to be more precise). That does not make it a Democratic Party movement, because the Democrats are NOT liberal. They are conservative (on economic issues, and Occupy isn't primarily a movement about social issues). We have two conservative parties, in that both of them serve the interests of big corporations and the rich. We have a few individuals within (and at least one in the Senate but outside) the Democratic Party who are liberals, but the party as a whole is conservative.

Because Occupy is center-left, and center-left positions are the way the Democrats talk and campaign, naturally they have tried to co-opt the movement the way the Republicans co-opted the Tea Party. But that doesn't mean they actually support the movement -- they just want the movement to support them. If they supported the movement, they would have to actually legislate in a center-left fashion, and that would cost them all their corporate campaign cash.

So, although no evidence has been offered for the OP contention that the Democrats are trying to ban Occupy from the Dem Convention, it really would not be that surprising -- nor would it mean a heck of a lot -- if they did.

It looks like the OWS refused to be co-opted. ....
What idiotic spin of the Dems telling OWS to stay away. :lol:

Democrats cannot count on them to stay on message so they are not going to be welcome, the same thing will happen at the republican convention with the TP, they just don't know it yet.
That's better.

So, as the Dems told OWS to stay away from them, OWS didn't refuse a thing.

And, IF (<--- note that word) the TP shows up at the RNC convention, I'm betting the RNC will not tell them to stay away. Any bets against?

And, IF (<--- note that word) the TP shows up at the RNC convention, I'm betting the RNC will not tell them to stay away. Any bets against?

Wouldn't know how to bet on that, but I know what it would mean either way.

If they DO tell them to stay away, it means the Tea Party is still an independent movement. If they DON'T, it means the Tea Party has been wholly co-opted into the establishment and is no longer populist.

I can't bet because I don't know which of those is the truth.

Wouldn't know how to bet on that, but I know what it would mean either way.

If they DO tell them to stay away, it means the Tea Party is still an independent movement.

IF the GOP tells TP to stay away, it means the GOP does not want to be associated with the TP.

.... If they DON'T, it means the Tea Party has been wholly co-opted into the establishment and is no longer populist.

Rather, again, only IF the TP shows up at the RNC convention, the TP shows it has become more partisan.

.... I can't bet because I don't know which of those is the truth.
I CAN bet, because I AM part of the TP and I happen to be Republican.

;)

What idiotic spin of the Dems telling OWS to stay away. :lol:

Democrats cannot count on them to stay on message so they are not going to be welcome, the same thing will happen at the republican convention with the TP, they just don't know it yet.
That's better.

So, as the Dems told OWS to stay away from them, OWS didn't refuse a thing.

RNC hasn't got the spine...

IF the GOP tells TP to stay away, it means the GOP does not want to be associated with the TP.

Not necessarily. It might mean they don't trust the TP to stay on-message. Exactly as the Democrats regard Occupy. They want them to energize the voters without rocking the party boat with, you know, actual populist demands.

If the TP insists on raising uncomfortable issues (like money in politics, the main point they have in common with Occupy), the GOP isn't going to want them making a stink at the convention.

If they DON'T do that -- if it's safe to have them around -- it means the TP has become a wholly-owned and reliable arm of the party. Which Occupy most decidedly is NOT of the Democrats.

Not necessarily. It might mean they don't trust the TP to stay on-message. Exactly as the Democrats regard Occupy. They want them to energize the voters without rocking the party boat with, you know, actual populist demands.

If the TP insists on raising uncomfortable issues (like money in politics, the main point they have in common with Occupy), the GOP isn't going to want them making a stink at the convention.

If they DON'T do that -- if it's safe to have them around -- it means the TP has become a wholly-owned and reliable arm of the party. Which Occupy most decidedly is NOT of the Democrats.
Tell me - part of the TP and quite an active Republican of late - what we think.

It's cute when you try.

Tell me - part of the TP and quite an active Republican of late - what we think.

Oh, no, I'm letting you do that. I'm just pointing out the logical consequences whichever way it turns out to be.

IF the Tea Party agrees 100% with the Republican agenda (note that I'm not saying whether it does or not), THEN it is a wholly-owned and co-opted arm of the party, no longer a populist movement at all.

If not, then the GOP won't want them at the convention.

I'm not saying which is the truth. But it has to be one or the other. You tell me.

Oh, no, I'm letting you do that. I'm just pointing out the logical consequences whichever way it turns out to be.

IF the Tea Party agrees 100% with the Republican agenda (note that I'm not saying whether it does or not), THEN it is a wholly-owned and co-opted arm of the party, no longer a populist movement at all.

If not, then the GOP won't want them at the convention.

I'm not saying which is the truth. But it has to be one or the other. You tell me.
I have told you.

You MAY be telling me about the logical consequences, but that has nothing to do with what I said originally. ;)

The TP will show up at the Republican convention. They will be wearing clean clothes. They will not throw trash around. They will say please and thank you. They will not take drugs. They will be welcomed.

OWS will show up at the Democratic convention. They will be filthy. They will destroy and vandalize anything they can get their hands on. They will fling shit like the baboons they are. They will stagger in a drug induced haze. They will be screaming for free everything.

I hope they will be welcomed but I doubt it.

I have told you.

So you did. If you are right, and I'm not in a position to know, then the Tea Party has been wholly co-opted and has lost all its merit as a populist movement. Which is rather sad.

By the time of the convention OWS will no longer exist in its current form. These people are infinitely adaptable and will always find ways to stay ahead of any authoritarian action to shut them up. By then it will have morphed into something equally stubborn and difficult to ignore or shut up and impossible to co-opt for merely partisan purposes. I predict they will turn the flash mob protest into an art form.
Yes, I can definitely see the people who have been living in tents, raping each other and shitting on the sidewalks for the past two months as being a quite adaptable bunch.

I vote for more interpretive dance. Flash mobs are so last week.

Holy Shyte! A true Classic. :clap::clap::clap:

GE (Top 10 Military Contractor in the World) has been awarded the contract to stop OWS at the Democratic Convention. Obama's "Jobs Czar" GE CEO Jeffrey Immelt wants his troops to test their new Tasers and other 'Non-Lethal' weapons out on OWS. So i guess Immelt is creating jobs after all. WTG Dems!

Forum List

Back