Dems Have Another Debate - Yawn......

red states rule

May 30, 2006
In case you missed it; and given the ratings, most of you did;the Dems had another Presidential debate last night

You did not miss much. It was the usual liberal whining that puts people to sleep

Democrats Address Race Issues In Debate
At Howard U., They Decry Court Ruling On School Diversity

By Anne E. Kornblut and Dan Balz
Washington Post Staff Writers
Friday, June 29, 2007; Page A01

In the first presidential debate designed to focus on minority issues, the Democratic contenders aggressively sought to outmuscle one another on the topics of race and poverty and derided yesterday's Supreme Court decision banning most affirmative action in public schools.

The forum at Howard University seemed to be a guaranteed fit for Sen. Barack Obama (Ill.), the only black candidate in the race. He repeatedly discussed racial disparity, education and AIDS and used his unique status to call for greater responsibility from African Americans, one of his frequent themes. But the audience largely embraced the other seven Democrats on stage as well, applauding Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (N.Y.) when she called for a greater focus on AIDS research and cheering Rep. Dennis J. Kucinich (Ohio) when he called for an end to the Iraq war.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/28/AR2007062802601.html

The Nice Nice Debate
An orgy of agreement at the third Democratic presidential debate
By John Dickerson
Posted Friday, June 29, 2007, at 8:42 AM ET

The Democratic presidential candidates met at Howard University not to hold a debate but to have an agreement. The night was devoted to the issues that particularly affect the minority community—poverty, education, and criminal justice—which hadn't been much addressed in the first two debates. Everyone had roughly the same prescriptions—more money, attention, and commitment to whatever problem they were addressing. They didn't distinguish themselves from each other so much as build upon their opponent's previous answer to the question. This can only go on so long. After several candidates had given the same answer to a question, you got the feeling that those who were last in line had so little new to say that one of them might have just given up and said, "Ditto."

The candidates each tried to show that they had a genuine commitment to the minority community. As radio host Tom Joyner pointed out in his introductory remarks, the African-American community is sick of politicians whose promises don't last beyond the desperate vote-grubbing period before election time. The candidates mostly tried to show they were sincere by offering earnest bromides. The choppy format didn't allow for much more. If there was any competition at all among the candidates, it was to show which could offer more facts about incarceration rates, educational disadvantages, tax burdens, and other issues of concern in the minority community.

Howard University was Barack Obama's venue. As the only African-American candidate, he received the loud shout-outs from the audience. Others thanked the historic black university for holding the forum. Obama could say more. "This is where Thurgood Marshall and the team from Brown crafted their strategy," he said, referring to the famous Supreme Court case which Marshall argued and which had taken a hit that very day. "And if it hadn't been for them, I would not be standing here today."

http://www.slate.com/id/2169369/

Mark Shields said, "it was really more like a joint appearance."

Ha. And he's a Democrat.

so... let me guess. You think that such a display of unity will cause those citizens who have become vehementy opposed to Bush's policies to vote in FAVOR of the republican party in '08?

lol

I think no one in either party has the balls to stand up say anything of substance, like, I will stop iran from getting a nuke, I will close the border, or anything that is non-generic, and safe. Whether you agree with the statement, atleast you could say, wow, they had balls, to get up their and say something.

so... let me guess. You think that such a display of unity will cause those citizens who have become vehementy opposed to Bush's policies to vote in FAVOR of the republican party in '08?

lol

Forum List

Back