Dems Dominate Pork Report

Sinatra

Feb 5, 2009
The Citizens Against Government Waste Porker of the Year award was released yesterday.

Front and center were four Democrat leaders - Pelosi, Reid, Dodd, and Moran.

And against the backdrop of hundreds of billions in bailouts, omnibus bills, a stimulus package, and the looming multi-trillions deficit, Obama's $100 million administrative reductions ring even more hollow...

Citizens Against Government Waste: Porker of the Year, 2008

Last edited:
Psst... The Loon's are going to have a field day with you 4 your math error :lol:!

The Citizens Against Government Waste Porker of the Year award was released yesterday.

Front and center were three Democrat leaders - Pelosi, Reid, Dodd, and Moran.

And against the backdrop of hundreds of billions in bailouts, omnibus bills, a stimulus package, and the looming multi-trillions deficit, Obama's $100 million administrative reductions ring even more hollow...

This is one of my favorite sites and has been for years. You might take a look at 2006 and back, 2006 coming in at $29 billion ($10 billion more than this year).

Citizens Against Government Waste:

I'm 100% in favor of cutting government waste and stupid earmark spending, regardless which party does it. Were you complaining just as loudly during prior fiscal years? Of course the 'spending' then didn't include the 'supplemental' spending for the 2 wars, so voodoo accounting was also very much in play.

Sure what would you expect? The Dems hold power, do you think they are going to let the Republicans get the most?

Check out where the pork was going in 2006 (can you say Palin's "bridge to nowhere") when the Republicans controlled the government.

Sure what would you expect? The Dems hold power, do you think they are going to let the Republicans get the most?

Check out where the pork was going in 2006 (can you say Palin's "bridge to nowhere") when the Republicans controlled the government.

Yup, it's to be expected. Dems are known as the "tax-and-spend" party. But I like to equate the Cons with the "don't-tax-but-spend-anyway" party.

2006 Porker of the Year. Rep. Alan Mollohan (D-W.Va.)
2005 Porker of the Year. Sens. Hillary Clinton and Charles Schumer (both D-N.Y.) received 45.5 percent of the vote

So much for that theory

And when your doine checking that out, check out Byrd's democtartic highway to nowhere, which is STILL recieving porkulus $.

art.corridor.h.cnn.jpg

Byrd has steered hundreds of millions of dollars to the project, including a $9.5 million earmark in the $410 billion spending bill signed by the president Wednesday. Another $21 million will come from the nearly $800 billion economic stimulus bill Obama signed into law in February.

West Virginia's road to nowhere gets stimulus boost - CNN.com

"Christian charity programs such as Feed The Children feature entire families in West Virginia so poor that they are trapping rats to eat as food, calling them "nutrirats". And even affording a potato to eat is very difficult for some families. So not all earmark spending is a bad thing if it funds projects or programs that lift up some people a little higher above deep waters than all this."

Pork is in the eye of the beholder but if you read that link in the initial thread you find all the buzz words, but no thought nor care for the country, only the rich.

"The Congressional Record clearly proves that Mississippi Republican Senator Thad Cochran with $470 million dollars of earmark spending added to the Omnibus Spending Bill was #1 with earmark spending among all U.S. senators. Next up on the list of big earmark spenders was Senator Rodger Wicker with $390 million in earmark spending. In fact, of the top 10 largest earmark spenders in the U.S. senate, 10 are Republicans. Which certainly begs the issue of major league political hypocrisy on the subject."

Rush Limbaugh Won't Tell You This (Wizbang Blue)

Last edited:
2005 Porker of the Year. Sens. Hillary Clinton and Charles Schumer (both D-N.Y.) received 45.5 percent of the vote

So much for that theory

Imagine that the Dems were able to outmaneuver the Republican controlled House, Senate *and* WH to get the most spending.

They must be very very smart and clever to figure out how to outmanuever the entire Republican party. Which for the country's sake its probably a good thing we now have very very shrewd people in charge as opposed to idiots who let themselves be outmaneuvered by a couple senators from the minority party.

Either that or the website is a tad biased in what it considers to be "pork"

Last edited:

So much for that theory

Are we talking totals or selective projects? Seems to me it's the bottom line that counts most and that's what I look at. Earmark spending happens by both parties, and surprise surprise, much of it is good for the districts where the money is infused.

And when your doine checking that out, check out Byrd's democtartic highway to nowhere, which is STILL recieving porkulus $.

art.corridor.h.cnn.jpg

Byrd has steered hundreds of millions of dollars to the project, including a $9.5 million earmark in the $410 billion spending bill signed by the president Wednesday. Another $21 million will come from the nearly $800 billion economic stimulus bill Obama signed into law in February.

West Virginia's road to nowhere gets stimulus boost - CNN.com

I wouldn't exactly call it a road to nowhere, which implies a similalrity to that simple bridge in Alaska to connect around 30 people to the mainland. This one gives a direct route to eastern metropolises. I have no idea why the project has been hamstrung, but it also seems that it keeps at least some folks working. Maybe that should also count for something.

So much for that theory

Imagine that the Dems were able to outmaneuver the Republican controlled House, Senate *and* WH to get the most spending.

They must be very very smart and clever to figure out how to outmanuever the entire Republican party. Which for the country's sake its problem a good thing we now have very very shrewd people in charge as opposed to idiots who let themselves be outmaneuvered by a couple senators from the minority party.

Either that or the website is a tad biased in what it considers to be "pork"

Hey--we are talking about Republicans here. They just want power--never mind why they want it, but they want to sit in front of alot of people and give a "See me? I am important!!" smile.

So it is possible to out-manuever them........

Let me explain to anyone who doesn't realize what a partisan douche bag Sinatra is.

Who spent more in pork between 2000-2008? The GOP.

How did the GOP spend more in 2008 when the Dems were the majority you ask? How else could the Dems get anything passed but to give the GOP their bacon?

What states take more in Federal Dollars, Blue or red states? Red states.

Now that the Dems are in charge of everything, you are god damn right we are going to get most of the pork FINALLY!!

And I think in one of the houses, we don't need one GOP vote to pass anything we want. So do you think we give those Republicans any pork? Fuck no!!!

Front and center were four Democrat leaders - Pelosi, Reid, Dodd, and Moran.

Ah, look at the few trying vainly to defend this pork-nation we live in!

Say it ain't so.

The DEMS getting pork?!

I'm shocked and very dubious!

Next you'll be trying to tell me that the Republicans take pork, too.

How gullible do you think I am, anyway?

They all take pork.

Some take more pork than others.

Hey--does this post look dirty to you?

Government waste is rampant and infects all political affiliations.

Of yet, Obama has done nothing to stem the tide of waste and corruption in DC -perhaps only worsened it to even more deplorable levels.

Perhaps in the coming months he will find the strength to move beyond words and embark on actual action?

I remain less than hopeful...

The cries of pork is just Repubs being Repubs. The past eight years has been a time of totally wasteful spending by Repubs.

We've made no investements in our future. What did we get for the trillions borrowed and spent by Bush and Company?

Remember when President Clinton left office and we had a projection of surpluses as far as the eye could see?

Bush cut taxes (he got everything he wanted) and immediately the US Gov was in the red.

Where were the deficit hawks then?

Government waste is rampant and infects all political affiliations.

Of yet, Obama has done nothing to stem the tide of waste and corruption in DC -perhaps only worsened it to even more deplorable levels.

Perhaps in the coming months he will find the strength to move beyond words and embark on actual action?

I remain less than hopeful...

I wouldn't expect the coming months; major spending cuts in the midst of the worst recession in 65 years is probably not a good idea. Maybe the coming year if the economy is back on its feet.

Forum List

Back