Dems Criticize Troop Withdrawals--Why?

rtwngAvngr

Jan 5, 2004
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/nation/9429283.htm?1c
One of them, retired Gen. Wesley Clark, called the action ''pure politics'' and ``a shell game.''

Clark, who ran for the Democratic presidential nomination, said the troop withdrawals from Europe would only exacerbate strained relations with allies such as Germany, while withdrawals from South Korea make no strategic sense.

''Withdrawing these 70,000 troops won't improve our national security. It will harm our national security,'' Clark said at a news conference. ``These moves weaken our foreign alliances. It is a shell game. They are using troops withdrawn from South Korea to feed the war in Iraq.''

The former NATO commander added that Europe was a better place than Fort Riley, Kan., for responding swiftly to crises in Africa and the Middle East. And he said there would be no short-term savings from the European drawdown. ''Our bases in Germany are already paid for and Germany contributes to the operation,'' Clark said.

He called the plan, which Bush announced at a Veterans of Foreign Wars convention on Monday, ''a strategic mistake'' and said he would keep American forces in Korea and soldiers and their families in Europe ``where they are ideally situated.''

Ok. Since clarks words are crap, what's the real reason for the libs criticism of bush's move? The real reason is the libs WANT the US to get overextended so our missions will fail, and they also are pandering to their eurolib lovers who just love all the money our military spends in their economies.

rtwngAvngr said:
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/nation/9429283.htm?1c

Ok. Since clarks words are crap, what's the real reason for the libs criticism of bush's move? The real reason is the libs WANT the US to get overextended so our missions will fail, and they also are pandering to their eurolib lovers who just love all the money our military spends in their economies.

You're overestimating them. They oppose the troop withdrawal because Bush suggested it.

Another wild guess... troops posted overseas don't vote as often as those in country. Troops tend to vote Republican.

Hobbit said:
You're overestimating them. They oppose the troop withdrawal because Bush suggested it.

Exactly. Bush could suggest softer toilet paper in the bathroom and thicker blankets in the winter and they would say it's a bad idea. I'm pretty much to the point of think that if a Democrat doesn't like it, it MUST be a good idea.

Comrade said:
Another wild guess... troops posted overseas don't vote as often as those in country. Troops tend to vote Republican.

Might be true, but I thought this wasn't suppose to start until well after the election. Maybe I heard wrong.

• Banned
Jimmyeatworld said:
Exactly. Bush could suggest softer toilet paper in the bathroom and thicker blankets in the winter and they would say it's a bad idea. I'm pretty much to the point of think that if a Democrat doesn't like it, it MUST be a good idea.

This is so true. I saw on fox they had a quote from john kerry from about two weeks ago where he thought it would be a good idea to do some troop movements, maybe pull some troops out of europe even. Now he's against it. What a transparently foolish assclown.

The removal of troops from Germany and Japan are long overdue, KL. Our presense there is simply antagonistic. South Korea, on the other hand, is fruitful in that there has never been an end to that horrible war. The North Koreans simply must be watched after and contained insomuch as our willingness to obstruct war is concerned. Quite frankly, there is no danger of war in Europe or Japan. I could go on and on but from a militarily strategic standpoint I think it best to stop here. Ain't that sad that I should think of all this militarily?

Psychoblues

God Bless America

Psychoblues said:
Quite frankly, there is no danger of war in Europe or Japan. I could go on and on but from a militarily strategic standpoint I think it best to stop here. Ain't that sad that I should think of all this militarily?

Psychoblues

God Bless America

Not sure I can agree with your assessment regarding no danger of war in Europe.

First, Europe has been the catalyst for two world wars. That alone should give us pause.

Second, there is still ample hatred amonst various ethnic groups in Europe which causes the seeds of violence to sprout with alarming regularity. Basque separatists in Spain, Chechnyan separatists, a growing moslem community throughout the continent, the attempted assassination of the Pope, Europe's proximity to the Middle East are all factors which keep the kettle bubbling.

Third, it appears to me that the French are once again reviving their pompous ambitions of empire. The snail-sucking french government's surreptitious support of Saddam leads me to wonder if the French are helping to foment turmoil in the Middle East simply to give the US problems while the French secretly benefit as they snicker up their sleeves and rake in hundreds of millions in profits.

I agree that troops need to come out of Germany, if for no other reason than to send an unambiguous message that we will no longer support those so-called "allies" who sneer at us when the chips are down. But there are many places in eastern Europe where the presence of our troops will be beneficial to us and to the developing economies of these countries. Poland, Romania, Hungary just to name a few. An additional plus is that many of these countries are situated much closer to current Middle East trouble spots and would therefore be a much better staging area.

War in Asia is also very possible. We westerners overlook the LONG histories of war between Japan and China with Korea usually stuck in the middle. If you add in Taiwan now, you have fuel for a very large fire. Japan has economic interests throughout Asia, but especially in Taiwan and Korea. If China were to threaten either, it could have a massive affect on Japan. Japan is doing their best to wield their power through economics, but the more China grows, the less influential Japan becomes.

Forum List

Back