Dems Call for New Federal Holiday Honoring Chavez

I see how this works...I thought you said you were a conservative, not a martyr...SO, all I have to do to BE civil is accept your denigration and defamation of Chavez and we are being civil...

Maybe you can explain 'civil' to the families of Negri Daifulla and Juan de la Cruz.

No sir. That is how you opted to take what I say.

For example, someone below corrected me on something about Stalin. He did not insult my intelligence nor did he call me names. He did not imply I am a right winger. He simply showed me how I was misinformed.

Being misinformed happens, you know.

My response to him?

I admitted I was not aware of what he said and thanked him for correcting me.

And then I read up on the topic and it confirmed what he said.

It is known as using debate to learn; not to be right.

Sorry if you do not like that about me. But it works for me.

What works for you is constantly talking about YOU?

Only the shallow know themselves.
Oscar Wilde

You are the one who put me in a position to describe who I am. And I deemed it best to do so.

I did it for you so we can enjoy a debate without the hate and name calling.

Yet you still insist on casting the insults.

Sorry if I wasted your time.

For example, someone below corrected me on something about Stalin. He did not insult my intelligence nor did he call me names. He did not imply I am a right winger. He simply showed me how I was misinformed.

My response to him?

Oscar Wilde

You are the one who put me in a position to describe who I am. And I deemed it best to do so.

Alright...here's a premise to consider. And it even ties into your own self image. America has a fascination with the warrior, people who use violence in the name of America or freedom. But violence is really the antithesis of freedom. Cesar Chavez was a man of peace. A man that saw dignity as a right that was earned by the way we live our lives and how we treat others, not an entitlement of wealth or power.

He should be your hero...

Prayer of the Farm Workers' Struggle

Show me the suffering of the most miserable;
So I will know my people's plight.

Free me to pray for others;
For you are present in every person.

Help me to take responsibility for my own life;
So that I can be free at last.

Grant me courage to serve others;
For in service there is true life.

Give me honesty and patience;
So that I can work with other workers.

Bring forth song and celebration;
So that the spirit will be alive among us.

Let the spirit flourish and grow;
So we will never tire of the struggle.

Let us remember those who have died for justice;
For they have given us life.

Help us love even those who hate us;
So we can change the world.

Written by Cesar E. Chavez, UFW Founder (1927-1993)

Civility is not a sign of weakness and sincerity is always subject to proof.
President John F. Kennedy

Oh Goody! Yet another holiday for Government Employees.

CA already has 3/31 Cesar Chavez Day, with many state agencies closed as a result.

My response to him?

Oscar Wilde

You are probably confusing Chavez with Che Gueverra. As far as I can tell the only violence Chavez ever committed was to vegetables. He was a vegan.

A group of Democratic state lawmakers is calling on the federal government to make the birthday of the late Cesar Chavez a national holiday

Chavez, born March 31, 1927, was a Mexican-American farmworker, labor leader and civil rights activist who, with Dolores Huerta, co-founded the National Farm Workers Association. That group later became the United Farm Workers.

Chavez died in 1993 and is considered a major figure in the Hispanic history of the nation.

State Sen. Nan Orrock (D-Atlanta) and Rep. Pedro Marin (D-Duluth) have introduced resolutions in both chambers of the Legislature calling on lawmakers to support the idea of a federal holiday for Chavez. Eight states already have holidays honoring Chavez, whose work led to numerous improvements for farm laborers.

“We need to honor his life,” said state Sen. Vincent Fort (D-Atlanta). “Like Dr. [Martin Luther] King he was one of the towering figures of the last 60 years in this nation. And we are becoming a blacker and browner state and nation.”

Democratic lawmakers call for Cesar Chavez national holiday | ajc.com

Just what we need. Another freakin day off to "stimulate" the economy. What a bunch of geniuses.

Chanel, the democrats know they are losing a block of voters with the Independents, they need to capture another block of voters. I think this has to be one of the most transparent moves the democrats have done since this administration took over.

Chavez was a good & righteous man. Probably put a lot of farmers out of business though. His intentions were honorable though. Not so sure about the Holiday thing.

A group of Democratic state lawmakers is calling on the federal government to make the birthday of the late Cesar Chavez a national holiday

Chavez, born March 31, 1927, was a Mexican-American farmworker, labor leader and civil rights activist who, with Dolores Huerta, co-founded the National Farm Workers Association. That group later became the United Farm Workers.

Chavez died in 1993 and is considered a major figure in the Hispanic history of the nation.

State Sen. Nan Orrock (D-Atlanta) and Rep. Pedro Marin (D-Duluth) have introduced resolutions in both chambers of the Legislature calling on lawmakers to support the idea of a federal holiday for Chavez. Eight states already have holidays honoring Chavez, whose work led to numerous improvements for farm laborers.

“We need to honor his life,” said state Sen. Vincent Fort (D-Atlanta). “Like Dr. [Martin Luther] King he was one of the towering figures of the last 60 years in this nation. And we are becoming a blacker and browner state and nation.”

Just what we need. Another freakin day off to "stimulate" the economy. What a bunch of geniuses.

Chanel, the democrats know they are losing a block of voters with the Independents, they need to capture another block of voters. I think this has to be one of the most transparent moves the democrats have done since this administration took over.

News Flash..........Hispanic voters will not vote for Republicans

Especially after the "wise latina" debacle for the GOP

Oscar Wilde

You are probably confusing Chavez with Che Gueverra. As far as I can tell the only violence Chavez ever committed was to vegetables. He was a vegan.

HOLY CRAP!

I feel like an idiot. No. I AM an idiot.

You are 100% correct.

Thanks.

(now where is that hole I need to hide in)

News Flash..........Hispanic voters will not vote for Republicans

Especially after the "wise latina" debacle for the GOP

In 2007 there was 57% that considered themsleves democrats from the hispanics. They want to "capture" the "block" of hispanics. I stand by what my post stated, leftwinger.
I thought that move would have been obvious from the democrats

This is probably another States Rights issue. If a state like California wants a "Chavez Day" i see nothing wrong with that. However,mandating a national Chavez Day probably goes a bit too far. Each individual State should decide on this and go from there. No Federal Holiday is necessary.

Gawd, I just love being in GA. First we have Hank Johnson's Hepatitis riddled brain going on and on about the size of Guam....and now we have this? A holiday for Chavez?

Jeez.....what an embarrassment our state is becoming.

Hello, Gov. Perdue? DO SOMETHING. :eusa_eh:

Yea Chanel, we certainly wouldn't want to honor men like Chávez...we don't need our kids to look up to men that believe in human rights and non-violence. America honors warriors!

CESAR E. CHAVEZ FOUNDATION

chavez_signthepetition_whol.jpg

César Chávez is one of the greatest labor leaders and human rights activists in the United States history and the world. He fought for a better life for migrant farm workers, and founded the first successful farm workers’ union. César was the president of the United Farm Workers, AFL-CIO.

César Estrada Chávez was able to accomplish his goals through the philosophy of non-violence that he inherited and followed from leaders like Mahatma Gandhi and Dr. Martin Luther King.

César read about St. Francis of Assisi, Mohandas K. Gandhi and Dr. King. St. Francis was an Italian monk who lived from 1182 to 1226. He devoted his life to helping the poor. Gandhi was spiritual leader and a non-violence revolutionary who lived in India from 1869 to 1948. He practiced the philosophy of non-violence. Martin Luther King, Jr. was a Civil Rights Leader in the United States. These men profoundly influenced César Chávez, and he realized that great leaders are those who set good examples.

César Chávez adopted and practiced the philosophy of non-violence.

rfk_chavez_480_01.jpg

Fight in the Fields - CESAR CHAVEZ | PBS

Personally I don't think it's about celebrating anyone special...it's about sucking up to a very large voting block. I especially don't believe in honoring union leaders which Cavez was. We might as well call it labor day and be done with it......no wait.....we already have that.

Well.....we can call it National Hispanic Pacifist day.

The LEGAL Latinos share many of the ame values as the Republicans. But I don't believe wooing them involves a national holiday. There's got to be a better way. Any suggestions?

The LEGAL Latinos share many of the ame values as the Republicans. But I don't believe wooing them involves a national holiday. There's got to be a better way. Any suggestions?

The democratic party believes entitlements will woo them.

I beleive simply treating them as the Americans that they are is all that is necessary.

One thing I can say is that my philosophy certainly works with them, and anyone for that matter, in business and in friendships.

Forum List

Back