Dems Afraid to Meet with Constituents

I would venture that people/citizens have been trying ''to bring our country back to where it was'', since July 5th, 1776.

It is a normal thing to wish for times that you think are better times or to think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence....sometimes it really looks that way, until you get close up.

Our founding fathers were not perfect either....they were the ELITISTS of their day, the ones both sides seem to give ridicule in today's times...

All I am saying is that we are NOT a perfect country....we have made some grave mistakes...we have killed over 600,000 citizens in a war against ourselves...some of our ancestors have done wrong in the past... to the Native Americans and to the African American slaves just as a couple of the biggies...

yet, we as a Nation, have changed the World, from our very inception, for the Good, in so many ways.

I was watching the History Channels Documentary on 'The Presidents'' a little while ago....and by the time I was done watching the series on it, I was actually smiling....

While watching it, I was just horrified...I could NOT believe the kind of downright dirty, and I mean below the worms in the ground downright dirty and scummy politics was back then....! (learned none of this in school that i could remember)

Even with differences that our own founding fathers had amongst eachother....! By the time the series ended, I actually came to believe that what I had thought was the most horrible, nasty and scummy politics of the last 20 years or so, clinton, bush, obama...it actually is not that bad today, compared to back then.

The World is not ending, partisanship is not beyond what it has been nor beyond some kind of reconciliation in my humble opinion.

We just need to get back to debating the real issues...and I mean the old fashion debate where you are respectfully trying to convince those that think the opposite of you, to change their mind and agree with you....or, for them, through honest debate and support, convince you to change your mind on the issue.....

Not much of this kind of true debate, takes place here...but sometimes it does!

you can't mend a broken relationship without communicating ya know?

and based on that, I do believe representatives meeting with their OWN, emphasis on their own, constituents is a part of their job...meeting with those who are both friend or foe.... and I believe the "foes" should be prepared to debate their stance and also LISTEN to any solutions, if there are any or to listen to the representative's stance....in a RESPECTFUL manner.

You make several valid points. I think you are right, it has been worse, and that's the "norm." Whether it "should be" better as a normative value, I'm not as sure as you.

Let me illustrate. If side "A" has a political agenda of "x, y and z" and side "B" truly views x and z and possibly y as antithetical to principles that this government was founded upon and continued liberty, what should they do?

Should they have a reasoned debate with the side "A" and explain the error of their ways? And, if side "A" says, "We are the majority, duly noted, but we'll do what we want." Then side "B" should, "Ok, we were just putting our thoughts out there for you to consider, we'll do it your way then?" Just to be companionable?

If so, I would suggest that this is not the way a legislature nor politics should work. If there are sharp distinctions between the parties, these need to be fought out until the public reaches a consensus on a resolution to those issues. I think doing it the other way prevents arriving at a resolution and keeps the wound open and bleeding. If there is a fight to be had, let's get to it and get past it.

Forum List

Back