Democrats won't fund Guantanamo closing

Yurt

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2004
Hot air ballon
AP Source: Democrats won't fund Guantanamo closing

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama's allies in the Senate will not provide funds to close the Guantanamo Bay prison next January, a top Democratic official said Tuesday.

With debate looming on Obama's spending request to cover military and diplomatic operations in Iraq and Afghanistan, the official says Democrats will deny the Pentagon and Justice Department $80 million to relocate Guantanamo's 240 detainees.

AP source: Democrats won't fund Guantanamo closing

if true, this is one of those...wtf...moments

the dems are going to end up like the repubs, making so many mistakes and hypocritical actions/words they get themsevles voted out of office

Do you bother reading your own links? Or was it an intentional misrepresentation? I'm figuring you just read the headline and got all excited without reading further.

From your article:

It appears to be a tactical retreat. Once the administration develops a plan to close the facility, congressional Democrats are likely to revisit the topic, provided they are satisfied there are adequate safeguards

You really want to be complaining about that?

Do you bother reading your own links? Or was it an intentional misrepresentation? I'm figuring you just read the headline and got all excited without reading further.

From your article:

It appears to be a tactical retreat. Once the administration develops a plan to close the facility, congressional Democrats are likely to revisit the topic, provided they are satisfied there are adequate safeguards

Odd how the issue was so cut and dried before. :lol:

From your article:

yes, quoting a title from the AP is misleading :cuckoo:

perhaps you should read more:

House Democrats also dropped funding to close Guantanamo when producing their version of the war funding bill, which easily passed last week.

the FACT remains that right now the title is 100% accurate. that something "likely" MIGHT happen does not make it a fact. the dems have been saying all along they want gitmo closed ASAP, now they are retreating on that stance just like obama has done.

From your article:

Odd how the issue was so cut and dried before.
:lol:

innit? :lol:

What was so cut and dried before was a thoughtless foreign policy without ANY discussion whatsoever as to what was appropriate.

They should shut down gitmo and get rid of another of baby bush's legacies of failure.

But don't you think they should do it safely?

Imbeciles... you whine that he isn't going to keep you safe and you whine that he is.

Get a grip...

or get out of the way.

Let them keep it up then. There may be some high profile Republicans we can throw down there at some point.

What was so cut and dried before was a thoughtless foreign policy without ANY discussion whatsoever as to what was appropriate.

They should shut down gitmo and get rid of another of baby bush's legacies of failure.

But don't you think they should do it safely?

Imbeciles... you whine that he isn't going to keep you safe and you whine that he is.

Get a grip...

or get out of the way.

thanks for admitting i did not mislead, your silence tells all...

and thanks for admitting that the dems lied about closing gitmo ASAP, they had no plan, just empty campaing promises...:clap2:

and jillian dear, when did pointing out hypocrisy and empty campaign promises become whining? is it whining when only i do it, or do you whine as well?

Yep--I would have liked to see the look on Eric Holders face--when Germany--one of the countries who insisted that we close GITMO--to regain our world wide--"respect"--refused to take any of these detainees. STILL LOL!

I don't know why we need to spend an additional 80 MILLION dollars--"that we don't have" when we already have a perfectly good place to keep these detainees? GITMO!

Last edited:
Thankfully enough of them realize that without a plan for the detainees talk of closing camp X ray makes no sense.

BO needs to spell out what he wants to do with these goobers, then we can talk closing.

Why would I repeat myself for no reason? :cuckoo:

and jillian dear, when did pointing out hypocrisy and empty campaign promises become whining? is it whining when only i do it, or do you whine as well?

why is it the wingnuts are always the one to presume they're oh so close with me?

when did i become your dear?

like i said... get a grip. you nutters have marginalized yourselves. I think it's better for the country if your people actually have something to add.

Now run along and go read some more WND.

Why would I repeat myself for no reason? :cuckoo:

why is it the wingnuts are always the one to presume they're oh so close with me?

when did i become your dear?

like i said... get a grip. you nutters have marginalized yourselves. I think it's better for the country if your people actually have something to add.

Now run along and go read some more WND.

let me ask again then...how is quoting the AP article misleading? how is the fact that they are not now funding it, misleading?

you haven't given one single argument since your first post, and i've countered that...all you've done since is jump around with ad homs...

as to "dear"....since you've called me dear first, i thought it would cool

i guess you're a wingnut for thinking you're close to me :lol:

Yep--I would have liked to see the look on Eric Holders face--when Germany--one of the countries who insisted that we close GITMO--to regain our world wide--"respect"--refused to take any of these detainees. STILL LOL!

I don't know why we need to spend an additional 80 MILLION dollars--"that we don't have" when we already have a perfectly good place to keep these detainees? GITMO!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

It makes zero sense to close Gitmo. These people are already in the best possible place.

Why exactly is it Germany's responsibility to fix our fuck up?

Why exactly is it Germany's responsibility to fix our fuck up?

Hey--it wasn't my plan to ask foreign countries to take these detainees. You voted for Obama so why don't you ask him why he did it.

I have always thought closing GITMO was a stupid idea.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back