Democrats withdraw Trayvon amendment

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Democrats backed off of their effort Tuesday to offer a "Trayvon amendment" to pressure states to drop their stand-your-ground laws after learning it was likely to be ruled out of order under the evening's rules for debate on the House floor.

Rep. Keith Ellison, Minnesota Democrat, said he will still try to force a debate at a more "appropriate" time in the future, saying action is demanded by the case of Trayvon Martin, the Florida teenager who police said was shot dead in a street encounter with a neighborhood watch volunteer.

The Ellison amendment would have docked federal criminal justice grants to states that have stand-your-ground laws, which allow residents to use deadly force to respond to an attack without first having to retreat.

Florida's version of the law has come under scrutiny after Trayvon's death. George Zimmermann, a neighborhood watch volunteer, has been charged with murder in the case.

Democrats withdraw Trayvon amendment - Washington Times

Demcrats telling the rest of us how we should live.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

you're supposed to stand still and take your beating.

That would get fugly, real fast.

I'm certain that there are some perverse-minded people in this country who'd love to see it happen. :eek:
It will happen again. Depending on the race of the person killed and the race of the shooter it may make headlines for months, it may not.

Gun control is NOT the answer. Telling people they must run instead of defending themselves is not the answer.

I don't have the answer. People have been killing people and robbing people since people met each other. Men write a lot of stupid laws while thinking they are saving the earth from extinction.

I think if your life is being threatened by another person, you have a right to defend yourself and to kill that person with any weapon you may have whether that person is armed or not.

I'm certain that there are some perverse-minded people in this country who'd love to see it happen. :eek:
It will happen again. Depending on the race of the person killed and the race of the shooter it may make headlines for months, it may not.

Gun control is NOT the answer. Telling people they must run instead of defending themselves is not the answer.

I don't have the answer. People have been killing people and robbing people since people met each other.

I know when this will change; when Christ returns.

Till then I will pack some serious heat.

I don't have the answer. People have been killing people and robbing people since people met each other. Men write a lot of stupid laws while thinking they are saving the earth from extinction.

I think if your life is being threatened by another person, you have a right to defend yourself and to kill that person with any weapon you may have whether that person is armed or not.

Perfect.
Exactly right. People look to the gubnent to solve every problem as if all problems can be solved by committee. Not one single person here or anywhere that was not an eye witness knows what happened. It is terrible, it is tragic - it is human nature.

Perfect.
Exactly right. People look to the gubnent to solve every problem as if all problems can be solved by committee. Not one single person here or anywhere that was not an eye witness knows what happened. It is terrible, it is tragic - it is human nature.
The fact that there was no eye witness to the shooting makes it correct to charge Zimmerman and go through a trial. Hell, even if there was a witness, a trial is appropriate. The truth should come out.

Trayvon's family came to his defense only because they are his family and mothers always see their little boys as saints....no matter what they do or what kind of trouble they get into. I've heard it too many times from the mothers of demented criminals and jive ass gang members.

The Dems have been using this case from the start to push more gun control. The SYG laws have nothing to do with the Trayvon Martin case. Self defense has always been allowed. If Zimmerman is telling the truth, it was self defense. If Zimmerman is lying, it's either manslaughter or murder. Either way, the stand your ground law didn't apply. Even if that law is removed, a person still has a right to defend themselves if attacked.

By personalizing their effort to disarm Americans by adding Trayvon name to the amendment, they prove how they are willing to use any tradegy whether it applies or not. There will be talk of changing laws regarding the right to carry a concealed weapon. Of course, criminals usually conceal their illegal weapons, but don't expect liberals to touch that issue.

Even without the Stand Your Ground law, Zimmerman acted in legal self-defense in 57 (and then some) states. And, yes, Democrats are at war with the concept of self-defense, because the people killed by those acting in self-defense are Democrat voters.

Runyan v. State, "When a person, being without fault, is in a place where he has a right to be, is violently assaulted, he may, without retreating, repel by force, and if, in the reasonable exercise of his right of self defense, his assailant is killed, he is justiciable."

Even without the Stand Your Ground law, Zimmerman acted in legal self-defense in 57 (and then some) states. And, yes, Democrats are at war with the concept of self-defense, because the people killed by those acting in self-defense are Democrat voters.

Runyan v. State, "When a person, being without fault, is in a place where he has a right to be, is violently assaulted, he may, without retreating, repel by force, and if, in the reasonable exercise of his right of self defense, his assailant is killed, he is justiciable."

Dude, you sound intelligent when you drop the racial shit.

Good post and I agree.

The benefit of the doubt should always be on the accused. I don't care if Skittles was a wannabe thug or not, or if Zimmerman is a racist (which he doesn't seem to be by all appearances), or anything irrelevant to what happened at the time the shooting took place. I'm of the opinion that a matter like this is best left for the police left to investigate, for the courts to decide, etc. Why does Justice wear a blindfold? Ostensibly she's supposed to be impartial, which won't be the case for Zimmerman if he goes to trial in my opinion. There's been such a circus so far in the media and in public that I think Zimmerman's attorney ought to submit motion for a mistrial as early as possible due to a number of reasons (i.e. tainted jury pool, evidence-related issues, and so on).

Last edited:
Democrats will never stop removing the right of self defense from citizens. They dropped it knowing that if obama gets a second term, removing that right will be an exercise of his flexibility.

Forum List

Back