Democrats Warn: Beware Ron Paul!

Lars

Jun 2, 2011
Portland, Oregon
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oaI26gY-eQ&feature=feedu]YouTube - ‪Democrats Warn: Beware Ron Paul!‬‏[/ame]

Here is the article from Democrats.org that my video is referring to. In item number one, it claims as follows:

“Ron Paul admitted that a low flat tax would be ‘punishing to the poor and middle class’—but supports it anyway. In 2007, when a reporter told Rep. Paul that a flat tax would harm the middle class, he replied, ‘Well, I know. That’s why I don’t want it.’ (NBC, Meet The Press, 12/23/2007) But by 2011, the Congressman had flip-flopped, saying he’d like to offer taxpayers the chance to pay a flat rate of 10 percent if they agree to receive no government services in return.”
You Should Know: Five Facts About Ron Paul | Democrats.org

Here’s the truth. See the third item down. As you can see, Dr. Paul was talking in 2007 about a 30% flat tax, not a “low flat tax.”
Ron Paul on Tax Reform

On the auto bailouts, the relevant question is: compared to what? Compared to letting a competent company take over its assets, the option that the politically driven bailout foreclosed? See also Dan Ikenson’s article.
Opposing view: Bailouts beget more bailouts - USATODAY.com

On gold, recessions, and the economy, see this article and this article, as well as the relevant portion of this resource page.
Life with the Fed: Sunshine and Lollipops? - Thomas E. Woods, Jr. - Mises Daily
Smashed Yglesias by Thomas E. Woods, Jr.
In Defense of Ron Paul | Tom Woods

On Social Security, the Constitution, and the Supreme Court, see John Attarian, “The Roots of the Social Security Myth.”
http://mises.org/pdf/asc/essays/attarian.pdf

Finally, on the distinction between default and not raising the debt ceiling, see the work of economist Robert P. Murphy, as well as his recent article “The Case Against Raising the Debt Ceiling.”
Auction Off the State - Robert P. Murphy - Mises Daily
The Case against Raising the Debt Ceiling - Robert P. Murphy - Mises Daily

http://www.tomwoods.com/democrats/

Last edited:
BEWARE ron PauL?

Yeah I can get behind that.

Of course it might help the DNC's credibility is they'd stop HELPING the bastards destroy the nation, too.

Lars:

The "Mises Institute" lives in the world of "sunshine and lollypops". Ron Paul has to wear a REPUB smock just so he can fix problem in the REAL world.

Fair tax/Flat tax -- no one cares until the financial bleeding is under control. And Paul has always been 10 years ahead of BOTH parties on the Iraq/Afghan wars, bases abroad, the FED, subsidies, ect.

His constituents seem happy with his whacky "libertarian" nihilistic views..

Lars:

The "Mises Institute" lives in the world of "sunshine and lollypops". Ron Paul has to wear a REPUB smock just so he can fix problem in the REAL world.

Fair tax/Flat tax -- no one cares until the financial bleeding is under control. And Paul has always been 10 years ahead of BOTH parties on the Iraq/Afghan wars, bases abroad, the FED, subsidies, ect.

Stupid libertarians

Why can't the stupid fucks understand that communism is the wave of the future.

Lars:

The "Mises Institute" lives in the world of "sunshine and lollypops".

How so? Seems they are consistently pessimistic given how they reiterate the American economic system is unsustainable. They have the right to be pessimists as well, as they have called every major financial event in the past half century.

Fair tax/Flat tax -- no one cares until the financial bleeding is under control.

Neither the Mises Institute or Ron Paul has called for a Fair tax or a Flat income tax. Though Paul has suggested a low flat income tax would be vastly superior. Did you even bother to read the OP and the provided links?

Last edited:
Fair tax/Flat tax -- no one cares until the financial bleeding is under control.

Nor the Mises Institute or Ron Paul have called for a Fair tax or a Flat income tax. Though Paul has suggested a low flat income tax would be vastly superior. Did you even bother to read the OP and the provided links?

nooooooooooo

we prefer to prejudge.

Ron Paul - nice guy.
Winner of the nomination = no.
Sorry...

Like I asked the last guy, do you even bother reading the OP or the links I provided. If so, what the hell does you personal opinion about Ron Paul's electability have to do with the OT of this thread? Please next time you post, stay on topic instead of just talking out of your ass.

Ron Paul - nice guy.
Winner of the nomination = no.
Sorry...

Like I asked the last guy, do you even bother reading the OP or the links I provided. If so, what the hell does you personal opinion about Ron Paul's electability have to do with the OT of this thread? Please next time you post, stay on topic instead of just talking out of your ass.

Thanks.

We need Ron Paul in the Senate to keep both parties honest.

He can do just as well as president. Maybe better because of increased airtime.

I don't think enough people are crazy enough to elect him President.

The american people have gone way beyond crazy and are at insane. Electing the same type of slime ball, status quo, party line politicians every damn time is insane. We're not sane enough to vote for him. When the man who makes the most sense, and has an almost untouchable record, is declared unelectable then we have a problem. Nope, we don't want him, we want someone who won't change a damn thing about the direction the country is headed, that's for us.

Look Lars/Contumnacious:

You are obviously are so tensed up -- you can't tell friend or foe. I'm a 20+ yr supporter of the Cato Institute and know almost every important piece that Mises has put out. Figure out how many years of LP dues that represents. But just like you misread me, I think folks are gonna misread this thread. I know I missed it til I read it twice.

Ron Paul took a (couple) stand(s) on the flat tax.. As usual he was philosophically consistent, but the mean ole nasty DEMS are taking a swipe at him... SO WHAT? He certainly ain't pouting over some bad blogging from the DEM side.

Ron Paul's relationship with his elected base is all about trust. They KNOW how he will vote. Sometimes that type of conviction and character is more important that any single issue. Like a flat tax.
And here's the important part Lars.. If that's ALL the DEMS got to smear this guy, then why are you all wound up? The REPUBS are the ones that want to destroy him.

Neither the Mises Institute or Ron Paul has called for a Fair tax or a Flat income tax. Though Paul has suggested a low flat income tax would be vastly superior. Did you even bother to read the OP and the provided links?

Well I THOUGHT the thread and links were gonna be about DEMS attacking Ron Paul. THAT -- was interesting to me. But when I found out it was one statement about flat tax - I said to myself ---
Discussing a flat tax now is like asking the people boarding the Titanic lifeboats "how they would like to settle their bar tab". So I STILL watched the ENTIRE video clip, and agreed with it (pretty much). But I'm still shaking my head as to what the topic is here. Is it really just a "hard sell" on Ron Paul? Are you soliciting donors for Mises? Or am i still missing THE point?

RP has some good ideas but is an idealist to believe that the libertarian minimalist govt and unregulated corps will work.

I also support a pure flat tax on ALL income. No deductions. should be under 15%.
And would eliminate HR block and other such parasitic industries and save 60% or the IRS budget.

We need Ron Paul in the Senate to keep both parties honest.

He can do just as well as president. Maybe better because of increased airtime.

I don't think enough people are crazy enough to elect him President.

The american people have gone way beyond crazy and are at insane. Electing the same type of slime ball, status quo, party line politicians every damn time is insane. We're not sane enough to vote for him. When the man who makes the most sense, and has an almost untouchable record, is declared unelectable then we have a problem. Nope, we don't want him, we want someone who won't change a damn thing about the direction the country is headed, that's for us.

Ron Paul makes a lot of sense, but his isolationist foreign policy would be a disaster. He's totally senseless when it comes to the military as well, because our military strength is what makes everything possible in this country.

MudWhistle:

Ron Paul makes a lot of sense, but his isolationist foreign policy would be a disaster. He's totally senseless when it comes to the military as well, because our military strength is what makes everything possible in this country.

It's not exactly isolationist to have a strong DEFENSE. To be capable of crushing any threat or attack on this nation. That's NOT wimp territory. What IS wimp factor territory is to USE that military in conflicts like Libya where we are caught bragging about the fact that "our guys" aren't doing the bleeding. Imagine how that looks in the Arab world. Or to use that mighty military for "terra-forming" hell holes like Afghanistan. We won that war at least 6 years ago.. Everything since has been an OCCUPATION by the "hope fairies".

It's not OFFENSIVE use of military power or even the global distribution of military power that makes "everything possible in this country".

Lars:

the mises institute is a bunch of austrian school economists who aren't rational about real world economics.

paul is a yutz who attracts simple minded people with simplistic ideas...

he's also a hypocrite who cries for term limits yet holds on to his government paycheck and who cries about the evils of earmarks but never met an earmark he doesn't like.

Forum List

Back