Democrats want to overturn self defense laws

House to vote on Trayvon amendment - Washington Times

House Democrats said Tuesday they will offer an amendment to push to overturn stand-your-ground self-defense laws in states like Florida.

The life of ONE criminal is worth 100 law abiding citizens.

stand your ground laws are not "self-defense" laws. common law self defense has always existed. these laws were the "if you shoot first, you win" laws.

but you aren't that bright, so probably that's too complicated for you to follow.

Congress doesn't have the authority to do this. They are using money to accomplish their goal. From the article:

The amendment, which would withhold some grants from states that have such laws, will come as part of the House's debate on the Commerce Department spending bill

I said this earlier that the Trayvon Martin thing was all about getting rid of stand your ground laws across the nation.
Led by Rev. Jackson and Rev. Sharpton, this is there little agenda.

stand your ground laws are not "self-defense" laws. common law self defense has always existed. these laws were the "if you shoot first, you win" laws.

That is absolutely false, Jillian. Many states have and still do require you to retreat first if at all possible when attacked. Florida's law and other states that have passed so called "Castle Doctrines", like Pennsylvania just recently did, have eliminated that nonsensical requirement. If someone breaks into your house you have a right to shoot them dead without having to try and get away first. Plain common sense. Forgive me if I don't give a fuck about the life of a dangerous criminal. Why is it the anti-gun crowd always seems to care more about them?

Last edited:
Self defense is when you are running away from danger, stop, turn and face it.

Chasing someone down and shooting them in cold blood is murder. Defense isn't chasing someone down who is running away from you. How Republicans can twist this into that is a mystery. Shows they aren't very smart. Can't figure out the simplest things.

House Democrats said Tuesday they will offer an amendment to push to overturn stand-your-ground self-defense laws in states like Florida.

but you aren't that bright, so probably that's too complicated for you to follow.

Stand your ground laws are suppose to remove the "Back to the wall" requirement of most self defense laws. In theory, SYG laws are simply updating self defense laws for a modern age.

I dont have a problem with the SYG laws in theory. However, if those laws are being used to circumvent our process, then theres an issue. Someone shouldnt be able to shoot someone and just walk away that night. Evidence should still be collected, a hearing should still take place to determine if the SYG law applies and then if it does, the person should go free.

The issue people had with the Trayvon Martin shotting is none of that seemed to be taking place. Zimmerman may have been justified in shooting Martin, BUT in order to determine that, there needed to be a hearing.

Chasing someone down and shooting them in cold blood is murder. Defense isn't chasing someone down who is running away from you. How Republicans can twist this into that is a mystery. Shows they aren't very smart. Can't figure out the simplest things.

Well, when you can prove that is what George Zimmerman did, then you can prove that he committed murder. In the meantime, his legal defense is still that it was self defense.

God help us if liberals start demanding that in the face of violent attacks we are required by law to run first and failing the success of that, get down on our knees and plead for mercy from criminals.

Immie

That is absolutely false, Jillian. Many states have and still do require you to retreat first if at all possible when attacked. Florida's law and other states that have passed so called "Castle Doctrines", like Pennsylvania just recently did, have eliminated that nonsensical requirement. If someone breaks into your house you have a right to shoot them dead without having to try and get away first. Plain common sense. Forgive me if I don't give a fuck about the life of a dangerous criminal. Why is it the anti-gun crowd always seems to care more about them?

The problem is we dont place the same restriction on citizens that we place on law enforcement and our soldiers.

I completely agree a person has the right to defend their home and themselves. But that right should not be used to infringe upon the right of others to live. In my opinion, it should not be lawful to simply open fire just because you feel threatened in some way. Too subjective. We need objective clarification to decide what is a lawful act and what is not. Too much grey area leads to unecessary deaths.

The problem is we dont place the same restriction on citizens that we place on law enforcement and our soldiers.

I completely agree a person has the right to defend their home and themselves. But that right should not be used to infringe upon the right of others to live. In my opinion, it should not be lawful to simply open fire just because you feel threatened in some way. Too subjective. We need objective clarification to decide what is a lawful act and what is not. Too much grey area leads to unecessary deaths.

And what would be an 'objective' test to know when one should open fire?

And what would be an 'objective' test to know when one should open fire?

Thats a very good question.

I have to admit I dont have the specifics off the top of my head, but I imagine it would be some sort of civilian rules of engagement. Once decided what that is, it could be taught as part of any firearms safety course.

Reminds me of Roe v. Wade where the abortion of one preborn American infant catalyzed a future of around 50 million abortions to date and growing as fewer people realize they are damaging a human being by taking its life, while it cannot defend itself against such large bullies in its weak and needful state.

If someone attacks you, you can defend yourself! If you kill them - they deserved it - if the attack was un prevoked! Anyone who deserves to be shot, deserves to be shot more than once.

Libs are hypocrites Jennifer Granholm the worst governor we've had in my lifetime, she now lives in California. she was for "stand your ground" before she was against it

bilde

from under a hoodie, ex-Governor Jennifer Granholm has been outspoken on the need for "justice" in the Trayvon Martin killing, including attacking the NRA for pushing Florida's so-called "stand-your-ground" law that allegedly encourages folks like George Zimmerman to wield a gun when threatened.

Left unmentioned in Granholm's attack, however, is that she herself was an NRA-supported advocate for passing Michigan's own stand-your-ground law in 2006.

"Tonight on 'The War Room' we'll examine . . . the National Rifle Association's push for self-defense laws that have allowed Trayvon Martin's killer to go unpunished," previewed the March 29 website of her Current TV program, "The War Room."

In one of two segments on the stand-your-ground issue and gun rights run amok, Granholm guest, Joseph Marshall, an activist and radio host, exclaimed "that's a bad law."

"Of course," replied Granholm.

From The Detroit News: Payne: Granholm was for stand-your-ground before she was against it | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

Well, when you can prove that is what George Zimmerman did, then you can prove that he committed murder. In the meantime, his legal defense is still that it was self defense.

God help us if liberals start demanding that in the face of violent attacks we are required by law to run first and failing the success of that, get down on our knees and plead for mercy from criminals.

Immie

I don't have to prove anything. GZ says, on tape, he chased down this kid who was running AWAY from him. He had to get out of his car and chased down the kid. Those are facts. They are ON TAPE. We even hear the car door shut. What else is there to say?

Forum List

Back