Democrats want to give school kids 3 meals a day YEAR ROUND!!!

The Paradox of Being Hungry and Fat
July 30
By Geraldine Sealey

When unemployed, poor and homeless women come to work out at the Healthworks Foundation Fitness Center in Boston's rough Dorchester section, many will climb treadmills for the first time.

The nonprofit gym's 800 members are likely to be overweight or obese when they sign up, and few know the basics of good nutrition. At Healthworks, they can work up a sweat in a safe environment and learn healthy eating habits from registered dietitians — all for free.

It's a luxury few low-income Americans can enjoy.

"In many cases, it's the first time they ever had an opportunity to exercise in their lives and eat healthfully," says Maria Shea, corporate fitness director of Healthworks Fitness Centers for Women. "Some of them are just trying to find a way to work and support children, and [they] have very hard lives."

Indeed, America's poor find themselves at the intersection of two serious public health problems. Hunger and food insecurity affect more than 30 million people, including 13 million children. And the epidemic of fat, which affects two-thirds of all Americans regardless of income, has not spared even those households with little money to spend on food.

Researchers are just beginning to understand the paradox that allows hunger and obesity to exist in the same household — and even the same individual. A report issued this month by the Waltham, Mass.-based Center on Hunger and Poverty tries to explain the confusing coexistence.

For some poor families, the need to stretch food dollars could lead to weight gain, experts say. Those with limited funds often turn to cheap but high-caloric foods, or settle for high quantities of food rather than nutritional quality.

"For low-income people, the economic decision that goes into purchasing food is an important one and one that makes sense from an economic point of view," says Ashley Sullivan, program director of the Food Security Institute of the Center on Hunger and Poverty, "but doesn't make as much sense when looked at from a nutritional point of view."

At Healthworks, education has been key to showing low-income gym members that cheap eating does not have to mean unhealthy eating, Shea says.

"A lot of it for me has been really basic education and understanding that chocolate cake costs more than an apple and teaching them that they can choose fresh fruit and vegetables for less cost," she says. "Even though it is inexpensive to buy a value meal, it's still less expensive to buy fruit from a corner vendor than to go to McDonald's."

Food, Food Everywhere But Not a Drop That’s Healthy

But for many of America's poor, food choices are limited, experts say.

"In many urban areas, supermarkets are not available or maybe there are only liquor stores or small convenient stores," says Katherine Alaimo, a researcher at the University of Michigan School of Public Health. In poor areas, "maybe the choices of fruits and vegetables are more expensive, milk is more expensive and maybe they only have whole milk," she says.

For a case in point, compare two Michigan cities of similar population, Alaimo says. Flint, the infamously rusted-out former automotive town, has only one supermarket in its city limits. Ann Arbor, a flourishing college town, has nine.

"There's a differential for the availability of food," Alaimo says.

Obesity can also be a body's adaptive response to periods when food is scarce, researchers say.

Those who cannot depend on a steady stream of healthy food might find themselves in a cycle of overeating and then going hungry when money or food stamps run out. Like restrictive dieters who periodically turn to binge eating, the "feast or famine" cycle can lead to weight gain.

Government and industry can take steps to help America's poor overcome the dueling crises of obesity and hunger, experts say.

The Center on Hunger and Poverty advocates that eligibility for federal nutrition programs — such as food stamps, the Women, Infants and Children program, and free school lunches and breakfasts — should be expanded to reach more in need..."

BS... people get fat cause they are taking in to many calories. Stop trying to make it more complicated than it is.

I never said otherwise. In fact I said that exact same thing b4 posting the article. BTW if you bothered to read it, it went on to say... as I said earlier...:

...For some poor families, the need to stretch food dollars could lead to weight gain, experts say. Those with limited funds often turn to cheap but high-caloric foods, or settle for high quantities of food rather than nutritional quality....

doy.

Actually, I've taken care of my own. And I still care about others. It doesn't have to be one or the other. But, hey as long as that zygote lives on.

I doubt you care about anyone but yourself.

LOL. Hardly true, texas dude. But if you need to think that to justify your own inadequate heartstrings, you go for it.

I make that call for the simple reason that you do not care for the most vulnerable of life. You would just as soon have a child aborted than allow it to be born with a hardship. Being born into poverty doesn't mean you'll end up poor the rest of your life. But you wouldn't give a child that chance.

Once they are born- you'll turn your back.

Prove it!

First you need to prove that I want a dictatorship... & I care for no one... like you claimed...

however you do want to outlaw abortion, which no matter how you wanna spin it - IS a dictatorship over a woman's autonomy

& you want to do away with all welfare...which would include feeding those precious little innocent babies once they are born... who grow & breathe & need food to survive, just because you think their mamas are welfare queens, &you want to punish them for spreading their legs.

so, if it walks like a duck... yada

yada

ya

da.

I doubt you care about anyone but yourself.

LOL. Hardly true, texas dude. But if you need to think that to justify your own inadequate heartstrings, you go for it.

I make that call for the simple reason that you do not care for the most vulnerable of life. You would just as soon have a child aborted than allow it to be born with a hardship. Being born into poverty doesn't mean you'll end up poor the rest of your life. But you wouldn't give a child that chance.

Prove it!

First you need to prove that I want a dictatorship... & I care for no one... like you claimed...

however you do want to outlaw abortion, which no matter how you wanna spin it - IS a dictatorship over a woman's autonomy

& you want to do away with all welfare...which would include feeding those precious little innocent babies once they are born... who grow & breathe & need food to survive, just because you think their mamas are welfare queens, &you want to punish them for spreading their legs.

yada

ya

da.

The proof is in your post.

Leave it up to your local pissant civil servants to raise your kids... Its not your responsibility. Lol

Prove it!

yada

ya

da.

The proof is in your post.

Those were your answers that I just repeated, deary.

July 30
By Geraldine Sealey

When unemployed, poor and homeless women come to work out at the Healthworks Foundation Fitness Center in Boston's rough Dorchester section, many will climb treadmills for the first time.

The nonprofit gym's 800 members are likely to be overweight or obese when they sign up, and few know the basics of good nutrition. At Healthworks, they can work up a sweat in a safe environment and learn healthy eating habits from registered dietitians — all for free.

"In many cases, it's the first time they ever had an opportunity to exercise in their lives and eat healthfully," says Maria Shea, corporate fitness director of Healthworks Fitness Centers for Women. "Some of them are just trying to find a way to work and support children, and [they] have very hard lives."

Indeed, America's poor find themselves at the intersection of two serious public health problems. Hunger and food insecurity affect more than 30 million people, including 13 million children. And the epidemic of fat, which affects two-thirds of all Americans regardless of income, has not spared even those households with little money to spend on food.

Researchers are just beginning to understand the paradox that allows hunger and obesity to exist in the same household — and even the same individual. A report issued this month by the Waltham, Mass.-based Center on Hunger and Poverty tries to explain the confusing coexistence.

For some poor families, the need to stretch food dollars could lead to weight gain, experts say. Those with limited funds often turn to cheap but high-caloric foods, or settle for high quantities of food rather than nutritional quality.

"For low-income people, the economic decision that goes into purchasing food is an important one and one that makes sense from an economic point of view," says Ashley Sullivan, program director of the Food Security Institute of the Center on Hunger and Poverty, "but doesn't make as much sense when looked at from a nutritional point of view."

At Healthworks, education has been key to showing low-income gym members that cheap eating does not have to mean unhealthy eating, Shea says.

"A lot of it for me has been really basic education and understanding that chocolate cake costs more than an apple and teaching them that they can choose fresh fruit and vegetables for less cost," she says. "Even though it is inexpensive to buy a value meal, it's still less expensive to buy fruit from a corner vendor than to go to McDonald's."

"In many urban areas, supermarkets are not available or maybe there are only liquor stores or small convenient stores," says Katherine Alaimo, a researcher at the University of Michigan School of Public Health. In poor areas, "maybe the choices of fruits and vegetables are more expensive, milk is more expensive and maybe they only have whole milk," she says.

For a case in point, compare two Michigan cities of similar population, Alaimo says. Flint, the infamously rusted-out former automotive town, has only one supermarket in its city limits. Ann Arbor, a flourishing college town, has nine.

Obesity can also be a body's adaptive response to periods when food is scarce, researchers say.

Those who cannot depend on a steady stream of healthy food might find themselves in a cycle of overeating and then going hungry when money or food stamps run out. Like restrictive dieters who periodically turn to binge eating, the "feast or famine" cycle can lead to weight gain.

Government and industry can take steps to help America's poor overcome the dueling crises of obesity and hunger, experts say.

The Center on Hunger and Poverty advocates that eligibility for federal nutrition programs — such as food stamps, the Women, Infants and Children program, and free school lunches and breakfasts — should be expanded to reach more in need..."

BS... people get fat cause they are taking in to many calories. Stop trying to make it more complicated than it is.

I never said otherwise. In fact I said that exact same thing b4 posting the article. BTW if you bothered to read it, it went on to say... as I said earlier...:

...For some poor families, the need to stretch food dollars could lead to weight gain, experts say. Those with limited funds often turn to cheap but high-caloric foods, or settle for high quantities of food rather than nutritional quality....

doy.
bs ... it's not about funds it's about being lazy and eating too much...

July 30
By Geraldine Sealey

doy.
bs ... it's not about funds it's about being lazy and eating too much...

Ya, those welfare bucks are a'plenty... Uh-huh.

UCS-2013-logo.png

How Much Does it Cost to Create a Single Nuclear Weapon?

Ask a Scientist - November 2013

Z. Witmond of New York, NY, asks "How much does it cost to create a single nuclear weapon?" and is answered by Senior Scientist & Co-Director of the UCS Global Security Program Lisbeth Gronlund, Ph.D.

"...What does all this add up to? Assuming the DOE and DOD plans move forward, and the United States makes further modest reductions in its deployed and reserve arsenal (to a total of 3,000 weapons) the United States will spend some $250 billion on new nuclear warheads and delivery systems in the next few decades. That's roughly equal to 30 years of federal funding for Head Start programs for kids at 2012 enrollment levels."

How Much Does it Cost to Create a Single Nuclear Weapon?

kff_header_white.png

Average Monthly Food Stamp Benefits Per Person

Location Average Monthly Food Stamp Benefits per Participant
United States $133.071
Alabama $128.82
Alaska $172.90
Arizona $123.62
Arkansas $120.86
California $151.44
Colorado $135.11
Connecticut $138.65
Delaware $127.90
District of Columbia $135.17
Florida $138.39
Georgia $136.40
Hawaii $217.49
Idaho $127.30
Illinois $137.99
Indiana $131.49
Iowa $116.28
Kansas $124.68
Kentucky $127.33
Louisiana $131.18
Maine $122.79
Maryland $127.39
Massachusetts $130.92
Michigan $136.65
Minnesota $116.25
Mississippi $123.77
Missouri $128.04
Montana $124.65
Nebraska $122.71
Nevada $123.57
New Hampshire $115.76
New Jersey $134.97
New Mexico $128.58
New York $147.75
North Carolina $121.85
North Dakota $126.10
Ohio $133.50
Oklahoma $128.48
Oregon $127.43
Pennsylvania $128.32
Rhode Island $140.29
South Carolina $131.47
South Dakota $132.18
Tennessee $132.11
Texas $122.35
Utah $125.15
Vermont $124.37
Virginia $127.75
Washington $125.64
West Virginia $119.88
Wisconsin $116.56
Wyoming $124.80
Guam $216.15
Virgin Islands $173.10
notes
Notes

Data as of November 7, 2014. Annual averages are total benefits divided by total annual participation. All data are subject to revision.

The following outlying areas receive Nutrition Assistance Grants which provide benefits analogous to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program: Puerto Rico, American Samoa, and the Northern Marianas.

Sources
United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Food and Nutrition Service, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP): Average Monthly Benefit per Person, as of November 7, 2014. Annual state level SNAP data accessed November 13, 2014 at http://www.fns.usda.gov/pd/supplemental-nutrition-assistance-program-snap.

Definitions
Federal Fiscal Year
: Unless otherwise noted, years proceeded by "FY" on statehealthfacts.org refer to the Federal Fiscal Year, which runs from October 1 through September 30. For example, FY 2013 refers to the period from October 1, 2012 through September 30, 2013.

Footnotes

• U.S. totals include Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

• Updated | July 20, 2015

Attachments

• upload_2015-9-10_19-19-0.png
    upload_2015-9-10_19-19-0.png
    3 KB · Views: 76
United States $133.071

$133. That's eating pretty good since most of the beneficiaries are just kids. Should be cut in half. Welfare trash should be living on rice and flour.

United States $133.071

$133. That's eating pretty good since most of the beneficiaries are just kids. Should be cut in half. Welfare trash should be living on rice and flour.

<pffft> You do realize a large portion of people who are on food stamps are seniors & Vets.

United States $133.071

The only people that should be getting welfare are people that can't work at all on any job... which should be pretty close to zero percent.

United States $133.071

<pffft> You do realize a large portion of people who are on food stamps are seniors & Vets.
Bullshit. Just because there are some deserving few on welfare does not mean we should be handing it out to people who just want to sit on their couch all day and bitch about the rich not pulling their weight. It's time to fix welfare again... god I hate Obama for what he's done to my country.

United States $133.071

Bullshit. Just because there are some deserving few on welfare does not mean we should be handing it out to people who just want to sit on their couch all day and bitch about the rich not pulling their weight. It's time to fix welfare again... god I hate Obama for what he's done to my country.
economy-keys-sac0112cd.jpg

You Might be a Republican If…

You believe tax cuts for billionaires is a great idea, yet you wonder why the economy has stalled, your job just got outsourced to India, and oil company executives receive $400,000,000.00 retirement packages.

Trickle-Down-Economics.jpg

You believe patriotism means you should support your government right or wrong … unless a Democrat’s in power, then it’s your patriotic duty to call him a closet Muslim, challenge his birth certificate, expose his sex life and impeach him.

insani-tea-party-sac0415cd.jpg

You believe the 8 consecutive years of prosperity and strong economic growth from 1993 – 2001 was due to the work of Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush, but today’s recession is all Clinton’s and Obama’s fault.

bush-head-high-sac1222bcd.jpg

A thread about taxpayer money used to feed children is called republican bait. And they oblige by coming in droves with their usual nastiness and hatred.

A thread about taxpayer money used to feed children is called republican bait. And they oblige by coming in droves with their usual nastiness and hatred.

Yes because wanting people to be responsible for themselves and their family and to have pride in working a good job instead of being dependent on government is very hateful.

[
The only people that should be getting welfare are people that can't work at all on any job... which should be pretty close to zero percent.

We could break the poverty cycle if we tied sterilization in with welfare.

Yes because wanting people to be responsible for themselves and their family and to have pride in working a good job instead of being dependent on government is very hateful.

And the post born children are being punished.

New Topics

Forum List

Back